Treestand types

Team Hoyt

ladder stands and ground blinds. reached that age where tree climbing is too risky to be using the hang-ons anymore. It's much nicer arriving and going in the blind or climbing a ladder than using spikes, ladder sticks, hand on steps, tree steps ect. to hang a stand....call me lazy!

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 6

We have a couple ladder stand that are rock solid comfy enough for an all day sit , a few hang on sets with climbing sticks that gold enough for an all day sit. I have a climber that I use a few times a year, not as comfy but I think it only weighs like 12 pound ,very easy and mobile .

Mostly ground blinds and ladder stands for me although I do have (2) hang-ons over at my folk's place.   They are only up about 7 feet and I use a short aluminum, camo-painted ladder to get up in them.  Last year I killed a hefty 3.5 year old buck out of one of them on opening day of gun season.   My favorite stands to hunt out of these days are built on the ladder racks of old construction-style truck caps.   The year before last, I killed another 3.5 (smaller rack but slightly heavier than last year's 182-pounder, based on a 1 inch larger chest-girth measurement) from one of those over at my folks place with my crossbow.   That deck was also up about 7 feet, with a 3 foot high wall all around for safety, cover, and weapon rest.   I believe that the buck I killed that year was attracted to the noise of me clearing leaves from inside of that wall (I intentionally tried to sound like a buck clearing a scrape when I did that).   The older I get, the closer to the ground I like to hunt.   

If the weather cooperates, I will try and move on of those hang-ons tomorrow afternoon.  The one that I killed the big buck out of is staying right where it is, but the other will be moved to the closest suitable tree to where I killed what might be my largest ever button-buck last crossbow season, from a pop-up blind.  The pop-up was comfortable to hunt out, but held spiders in the warm weather, and collapsed under the snow load later.   

I have a summit viper climbing stand,that thing is heavy!! I put a backpack frame on it so it becomes barely portable. 1 mile plus hikes are still terrible with it. I also have a ladder stand,convenient. I am gonna move that to a different spot this year.

And also a couple hang ons with 4' ladder sections. I mix it up.

I am thinking about getting a set of climbing sticks for a mobile set up and more choice in tree types i can get into.

3 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

ladder stands and ground blinds. reached that age where tree climbing is too risky to be using the hang-ons anymore. It's much nicer arriving and going in the blind or climbing a ladder than using spikes, ladder sticks, hand on steps, tree steps ect. to hang a stand....call me lazy!

Gotta agree, 20 years ago climber and hang-ons. Now it is ladderstands for me. I mostly hunt my own property, so it isn't any big deal. I have 4 of them set up and use the one that is best for the condition the days I hunt.

I have 1 ladder stand i use would like 1 more,  ground blinds mostly during gun.  But will be using a hangon and sticks this year to be more mobile.  Have a nice climber but brother wants it so selling it to him he feels safer in them than hangon.  Just a cheap hangon this year.  If i end up staying with the hang and hunt ill upgrade stand next year.  

We moved away from climbers and hang-ons 6 years ago and went to ladders. We love them.  I used a blind for the first time last year and it was awesome once the snow and cold hit.  Saying that, I picked up a new Summit Titan earlier this year and am planning on using that this year too.

I got away from climbers and now use a hang on with sticks. I can definitely get up a tree faster and no longer have to cut away my cover like you do with a climber. Unfortunately here on Long Island you’d be lucky to have a ladder stand up for a week before someone steals it. I do use mostly ladder stands and pop ups for clients though. Only reason I’m comfortable doing that is because the farmer really patrols his farm

Edited by bruno1