Treestand types

Team Hoyt

Have a Summit Viper climbing stand, but haven't used it in years. Got a bunch of hang on stands piled up, but we don't use them any more. Got a few different ladder stands scattered around that we use. All but one of those are set with only one or two ladder sections though. So six to nine feet high. Also have four Ameristep pop up blinds. Used them quite a bit last year and find them very comfortable, set up with a folding chair in rainy or inclimate weather.

But most of my hunting is done from the ground, from natural ground blinds made up from whatever is laying nearby. I enjoy the challenge and thrill of being eye to eye with the deer I hunt. And I also love to stalk a deer I spot from the ground. From an elevated tree stand I'm stuck up there. So I find it much more exciting to spot a buck out of range, and try to get closer for a shot. When successful doing this, it just gives me more of a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

Will give the climber and hang on stands to my grandson. Next year he will be old enough to hunt his own spots.

• Like 1

i don't hunt out of ladder stands but others have a few on the farm i've setup for them. i've got some hangons i use and then a climber that goes basically until i reach branches anywhere from 10' up to 20+' up. during bow season i use the climber more than anything.

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I was planning to only hunt from the ground as Biz had convinced me that a stand was cheating.  BUT once I learned that he now has a stand, Biz's hypocrisy confirmed that he was wrong all along.  #scaredofheights

There's nothing wrong with treestand hunting, the kills from them just don't count. Height has never bothered me, by the way.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

There's nothing wrong with treestand hunting, the kills from them just don't count. Height has never bothered me, by the way.

Kill em from a stand, from a blind, stalk one, lie in wait, even if I were to kill one from a hot air balloon, they would only COUNT to me.  No one else would or should care what I kill Biz.  Really that’s the truth.   

That said, you are still a cheater.  Lol

• Like 3

Kill em from a stand, from a blind, stalk one, lie in wait, even if I were to kill one from a hot air balloon, they would only COUNT to me.  No one else would or should care what I kill Biz.  Really that’s the truth.   

That’s true. I apologize. I was reading my own rule book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Actually from a hot air ballon , I believe is illegal. Way back I was turkey hunting when this hot air ballon ,would land in the field ,then take off and land again ,over and over .

I wanted to touch one off and see if the guy would panic and fall out , but instead I called a Econ Officer I know . He said “ well they can’t control where they land .” I told him, no he keeps landing and taking off, moving all around . 

He asked if I thought he was hunting out of it , and if so he’d come out and arrest him .  I ended up calling the ballon co. told them to please stay , they said the6 would and offered ,me free rides, which I declined .

Hang on are by far most versatile,  though the sticks and ladder for them.are harder to climb when. Older ,they do a lean in style stick now. 

Ladders are restrictive and unless seat.flips up and.has full platform they cause you to silhouette yourself away from the tree I'd standing.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Perfectly said my friend!   :good:

But Biz being a cheater?? That is strictly between you two!    :friends:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Actually from a hot air ballon , I believe is illegal. Way back I was turkey hunting when this hot air ballon ,would land in the field ,then take off and land again ,over and over .

I wanted to touch one off and see if the guy would panic and fall out , but instead I called a Econ Officer I know . He said “ well they can’t control where they land .” I told him, no he keeps landing and taking off, moving all around . 

He asked if I thought he was hunting out of it , and if so he’d come out and arrest him .  I ended up calling the ballon co. told them to please stay , they said the6 would and offered ,me free rides, which I declined .

Just try and catch me when I hot air balloon hunt!

I'm using hang on stands at 61 yrs old. I can still compete with a squirrel in a tree climbing contest. Using a full body harness is a must though. Hang ons are more versatile and deer don't seem to look up a tree for me at 25'. Ladder stands do have their uses, especially when sitting with a young hunter.

• Like 1

Summit climber.

I tried a hang on one year and it was a hassle plus not comfortable at all. I've always managed to find a tree in a good location. The summit is large and super comfortable.

I've used a ladder stand a bit last year on private land. If I had my own land it's a no brainer: ladder only, all the time. I agree they silhouette badly away from the tree, and when I spot deer I do my best to immediately stand and lean in close against the tree to minimize that.

Summit climber.
I tried a hang on one year and it was a hassle plus not comfortable at all. I've always managed to find a tree in a good location. The summit is large and super comfortable.
I've used a ladder stand a bit last year on private land. If I had my own land it's a no brainer: ladder only, all the time. I agree they silhouette badly away from the tree, and when I spot deer I do my best to immediately stand and lean in close against the tree to minimize that.

I love my climber but it’s so sweet to just walk in and head right
Up a tree into a fixed stand once
In a while. I sleep better when I know I’m hunting a fixed stand the next morning lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

All tree stand types have their +/- factors, versatility, mobility, convenience, safety, gun/bow only, blah, blah. Same goes for tree stand vs ground blind! At least for me as I have gotten older, my immortality has diminished and the ladder stand's safety/security are more appealing. You pick your preference!!!

On 8/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, moog5050 said:

Just try and catch me when I hot air balloon hunt!

Don't you recall the infamous OJ Simpson 40mph chase scene on the expressway?

Edited by nyslowhand

On 8/21/2019 at 12:27 PM, Skillet said:

Sportsman's guide has some good cheap ladders 

Yes, ... but you have to pay attention to the added s/h. Some s/h on a few ladder stands is minimal, while others (heavier ones) can get up to an added $50 s/h. Must be some certain wgt limit cut-off for difference in s/h. Also. the ladder stand packaging can be destroyed during (mis-) handling, so it's best if you're home when shipper delivers to insp it.  Hardware can be replaced, but damaged steel sections is another issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Yes, ... but you have to pay attention to the added s/h. Some s/h on a few ladder stands is minimal, while others (heavier ones) can get up to an added $50 s/h. Must be some certain wgt limit cut-off for difference in s/h. Also. the ladder stand packaging can be destroyed during (mis-) handling, so it's best if you're home when shipper delivers to insp it.  Hardware can be replaced, but damaged steel sections is another issue.

Ya we lost some parts this year. The box was ripped bad. They ended up replacing the stand.