Treestand types

Team Hoyt

I find in my old age, all my new stands are ladders.  Just put ladder #6 up today, which makes 6 out of 14 as ladders.  Haven't bought a new hanger in 5 years at least.  

Can't beat hangers for concealment and adaptability.  In the right type of tree they're tops.  But jebus they are not fun putting up.  I usually get leg cramps the night after I put one up from tree humping.  Even with 12  + years if experience with them, still get trepidations about getting in and out of them.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

On 8/30/2019 at 6:47 AM, cbyzerman said:

It always feels like they move no matter what....  On a lock on i have 2 ratchets...  They do not move at all.........

Thirdhand stabilizer straps keep the top and bottom connected as you climb and then you cinch them down when youre at height and the stand is absolutely rock solid. Best $20 you can spend for a climber

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'd love it if someone did and started a thread. Ive thought about it for years since reading Eberharts books but it seem to be the same amount of tree prep as just hanging a stand

If not more. They talk about how light it is, but that's without essential items like sticks and then steps to sit on. I saw somebody set one up on youtube yesterday and it seemed a huge pain. I can see some benefit to them but they also look a bit annoying to be in for many hours (partly because field of view is substantially covered by a tree trunk).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Core said:

If not more. They talk about how light it is, but that's without essential items like sticks and then steps to sit on. I saw somebody set one up on youtube yesterday and it seemed a huge pain. I can see some benefit to them but they also look a bit annoying to be in for many hours (partly because field of view is substantially covered by a tree trunk).

I think the idea is you have lets say six trees prepped and dont need six hang on stands, just steps. Still seems like a PITA. 

• Like 2

there is nothing like having a ladder stand all prepped and ready and just quietly sneak into it.  One time I was hunting on the ground, just tucked in some brush.  Guy with a climber came by and about 15 yards away started going up a tree and never saw me.  All the noise and commotion wouldve scared anything away.  I stood up and moved - he looked over and saw me and came back down - so I moved even farther away.  

• Like 1

I was using a ground blind until the land owner said his buddies who hunt next property over were afraid of shooting me in the blind.  They complained as they didn't know if I was in the blind or not so I should not be allowed to put a blind up due to safety reasons.  Apparently even during bow they are somehow worried they will launch an arrow through my tent so I cant put up the blind. I wish I were making this up.  I am looking for a climber and desperately trying to buy some land.  This morning actually spent ton of time looking at climbers.  Found an American made Cougar Claw climber I am researching. I want to stay with USA made if possible and seems to be. 

20 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I was using a ground blind until the land owner said his buddies who hunt next property over were afraid of shooting me in the blind.  They complained as they didn't know if I was in the blind or not so I should not be allowed to put a blind up due to safety reasons.  Apparently even during bow they are somehow worried they will launch an arrow through my tent so I cant put up the blind. I wish I were making this up.  I am looking for a climber and desperately trying to buy some land.  This morning actually spent ton of time looking at climbers.  Found an American made Cougar Claw climber I am researching. I want to stay with USA made if possible and seems to be. 

Craziest thing I have ever heard. You can't hunt from the ground? Why in the world are they shooting into a property that isn't theirs to begin with? Sounds like they are trying to push you out so they can hunt it maybe.

Do yourself and your family a big favor and don't buy a cheap climber. It may be difficult, but spend the money and buy a Summit or Lone Wolf or any of the other proven, quality brands. You can find them used in near new condition for pretty cheap too.

Edited by FatBoyD
typo
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

there is nothing like having a ladder stand all prepped and ready and just quietly sneak into it.  One time I was hunting on the ground, just tucked in some brush.  Guy with a climber came by and about 15 yards away started going up a tree and never saw me.  All the noise and commotion wouldve scared anything away.  I stood up and moved - he looked over and saw me and came back down - so I moved even farther away.  

Totally agree

Y they are trying hard to push me out of there, nearly successful. Sadly, the land owner is buying the safety thing hook line and sinker.  He let me know very clearly this past weekend that if I put up the blind I was done hunting there.

Summits are scary to me and made in China. Lone wolf I have read about some and its on the list to research. 

21 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Summits are scary to me and made in China. Lone wolf I have read about some and its on the list to research. 

That's not really a true statement, I believe they are "made in Alabama from imported stock", but whatever,  all I am saying is don't cheap out and put your life at risk to save money. I've been using climbers since the Baker, never heard of Cougar Claw.

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That guy stinks at setting up his climber. I can do it quickly and quietly, most can once theyve done it enough times. I do love  the feeling of knowing im getting in a permanent stand the next morning though, easy peasy lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That guy stinks at setting up his climber. I can do it quickly and quietly, most can once theyve done it enough times. I do love  the feeling of knowing im getting in a permanent stand the next morning though, easy peasy lol

I totally agree with this.  A quality climber is quiet and simple to master,  I have moved to mostly ladders now and love them, sneaking in and being ready to go instantly is as easy as it gets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thirdhand stabilizer straps keep the top and bottom connected as you climb and then you cinch them down when youre at height and the stand is absolutely rock solid. Best $20 you can spend for a climber

I can vouch for that. I have been using a climber for years and last year I bought a set. These take the worry's out of a climber shifting or moving when it is in place. They also stabilize it when climbing and double as straps to secure the two half's  for packing the stand out. :yes:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

I can vouch for that. I have been using a climber for years and last year I bought a set. These take the worry's out of a climber shifting or moving when it is in place. They also stabilize it when climbing and double as straps to secure the two half's  for packing the stand out. :yes:

they are a perfect product

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'd love it if someone did and started a thread. Ive thought about it for years since reading Eberharts books but it seem to be the same amount of tree prep as just hanging a stand

Lots of guys on the Hunting Beast forum are saddle hunters. Lots of talk of them there

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’ve used my climber a lot over the years BUT I’ll whip that support cable around the tree hitting myself square in the mouth , swear a bit , proceed to climb up , bottom won’t be straight , swear some more , ok , all secure and straight , pull on tow lines to realize I didn’t put one on either gun or backpack and swear some more. Realize one glove overboard, swear some more. Now I’m good to go until I realize I’m in an ash tree and bottom section will have teeth locked in solid . Go to climb down , yup teeth dug in despite my kicking and flailing trying to unstick it , swear some more. Cmon I just want to get down and go home now . Finally get down and think why did I use this stupid thing again. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve used my climber a lot over the years BUT I’ll whip that support cable around the tree hitting myself square in the mouth , swear a bit , proceed to climb up , bottom won’t be straight , swear some more , ok , all secure and straight , pull on tow lines to realize I didn’t put one on either gun or backpack and swear some more. Realize one glove overboard, swear some more. Now I’m good to go until I realize I’m in an ash tree and bottom section will have teeth locked in solid . Go to climb down , yup teeth dug in despite my kicking and flailing trying to unstick it , swear some more. Cmon I just want to get down and go home now . Finally get down and think why did I use this stupid thing again. 

I can be up an ash tree faster than a jackrabbit on a date, I love them. Theres one in Clarence I may pay for the treatment for lol

On 9/3/2019 at 2:44 PM, Al Bundy said:

Are they mentally ill?

As for a climber, if you want a comfortable one get the summit viper SD and if you carry it any meaningful distance get molle straps from ebay as the ones that come with it will cut gouges into your shoulders. I love my SD, comfortable as hell to sit in. Don't get a steel one, you just don't want the weight.

I still kind of want one of these because they are crazy light. https://x-stand.com/product/the-x-1/

Edited by Core

Are they mentally ill?
As for a climber, if you want a comfortable one get the summit viper SD and if you carry it any meaningful distance get molle straps from ebay as the ones that come with it will cut gouges into your shoulders. I love my SD, comfortable as hell to sit in. Don't get a steel one, you just don't want the weight.
I still kind of want one of these because they are crazy light. https://x-stand.com/product/the-x-1/

I love my Viper, and I have had several climbers including the sacred LW

Are they mentally ill?
I would avoid the X stand. I tried it out and it is scary. It may be light, but you could not pay me to use one. It flexes way too much and is too small and I am not a big guy.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would avoid the X stand. I tried it out and it is scary. It may be light, but you could not pay me to use one. It flexes way too much and is too small and I am not a big guy.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Too bad. The specs are nice but you are probably right. The summit open-climber is around 15 lbs