What type of ML?

Big Indian

All - I have always gotten good advice when I reach out, so here I go.

Looking to buy a ML, never owned one and want to take advantage of the ML season.

any suggestions from the good people on here is appreciated my price point would be +/- $ 500 range with a scope

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I have 2 cva  ,an apex and a optima v2 . Both of them shoot 100g Blackhorn 209, 300g shockwave , federal shot primers . Super consistent and great shooters.  I highly recommend the Blackhorn, there is a Blackhorn breach plug to make sure you get a hot enough ignition. Do some research and see if the one you are serious about is compatible with Blackhorn, once you shoot it ,you'll never shoot any of that other garbage ever again . 

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, greensider said:

Cva optima my biggest problem with most muzzloader bullets is jacket is to hard for proper expansion and will never use shockwaves or any sabot again powerbelts only and will be buying all leads this season 

What weight were you using?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I have 2 cva  ,an apex and a optima v2 . Both of them shoot 100g Blackhorn 209, 300g shockwave , federal shot primers . Super consistent and great shooters.  I highly recommend the Blackhorn, there is a Blackhorn breach plug to make sure you get a hot enough ignition.

Shooting blackthorn powder or pellets ? I’ve had 2 hiccups the last few years with 777 pellets with hangfire and only primer. I’ll look into new breechplug 

8 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Shooting blackthorn powder or pellets ? I’ve had 2 hiccups the last few years with 777 pellets with hangfire and only primer. I’ll look into new breechplug 

Does Blackhorn come in pellets? I have 2 jugs of powder ,I fill the speedloaders before I go in the woods . I dont think you need to change the breech plug for 777.

17 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I tried the 777 and the white hott pellets when i first got into MZ , both of them were so dirty i couldn't even fully push a second round . 

Look for a used White, it will be the last muzzleloader you ever buy.  They are build far better then todays inlines.

You cant go wrong with a TC  I have a TC omega X7, have had plenty of encores and am looking for a triumph 

Cva and knight both are shooters too. You really cant go wrong with either .

The remintings seem to have some issues with blow by in their new RUM ,but several are working on new plugs for them 

You dont need to spend 500 to get a shooter 

If you can  find a Melvin Forbes NULA that's like winning the lottery. 

Once you choose what gun I can suggest powders and bullets ...

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I do love my Encore but if buying a ML today I wouldnt bother unless youre going to buy some other barrels for it. And IMO by the time you do that and put good glass on them you could just buy complete rifles. And who doesnt want more guns?!

I have a 30-06 and mz barrel for my apex , I think the 30-06 barrel was less then 200 bucks ,spent almost 300 on glass for it . It's so accurate though ,being it's only a break action.

I keep on telling myself to get a muzzle loader  to take advantage of that season but never get around to it .  

I think I would like to get one that has nice iron sites on it ,  Keep it simple I am not even sure if they  allow you to use those on the  range near me that I go to .

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I have a 30-06 and mz barrel for my apex , I think the 30-06 barrel was less then 200 bucks ,spent almost 300 on glass for it . It's so accurate though ,being it's only a break action.

I had a .308 barrel with nice glass on it, I sold it. I cant handle holding a single shot weapon during regular firearms season lol