What type of ML?

Big Indian

I have a TC Triumph that is my favorite gun. Shoots smooth and accurate as can be. It is a deer slayer.

My son seems to take my Trumph a lot so I went out and got a CVA Accura Plains Model. It is a good gun but I have not found the perfect easy load to get long range accuracy yet.

The Triumph outshoots it and my brothers Remington 700 Ultimate with ease.

I have the Triumph and like it too. Very easy to use and accurate.  I’ve taken 2 deer with it so far, both within 40 yards.  If I ever decide to get another one, I’d like to get a Lyman Deerstalker.  Pretty cool looking gun!  

293698.jpg?imwidth=680

• Like 6

CVA Wolf is the gold standard of entry level--but capable--MLs.

Splurge a few extra bucks for the stainless steel one (yes it can still rust, so you still need to clean it), and a Nikon Scope for just over $100 and you can be all in for $350 or so with a very capable ML. Mine is so accurate and so pleasant to carry I have not bothered to buy a bolt gun for regular season.

• Like 1

All - I have always gotten good advice when I reach out, so here I go.
Looking to buy a ML, never owned one and want to take advantage of the ML season.
any suggestions from the good people on here is appreciated my price point would be +/- $ 500 range with a scope
Thanks in advance

If your still looking check on armslist I saw a few nice deals in ny. Plus you can get ML shipped to you with no fll needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/19/2019 at 4:32 PM, Otto said:

I have the Triumph and like it too. Very easy to use and accurate.  I’ve taken 2 deer with it so far, both within 40 yards.  If I ever decide to get another one, I’d like to get a Lyman Deerstalker.  Pretty cool looking gun!  

293698.jpg?imwidth=680

I have 2 of them. They are sweeeeeet. 

IMG_20190825_153944659.jpg

On 8/26/2019 at 8:34 PM, Otto said:

Beautiful gun!

I’m left handed, someday I will get one!   Love those shooting sticks too!

I'm a lefty, also. I just make it work with the righty gun. No real drawback except for catching a spark on your right wrist sometimes.

I'm a lefty, also. I just make it work with the righty gun. No real drawback except for catching a spark on your right wrist sometimes.
I have no problem shooting a right handed gun left handed. The only issue i run across is when i am carrying a gun (such as my Savage 220) the bolt catches on my back pack straps. I usually carry it with my left hand near the trigger, and right hand on the forearm, ready to mount and shoot so to speak..... i shoot right handed semi auto shotguns with no problem, its just the carrying and loading that feels odd to me.
That gun may not have that issue, I'd have to give it a try sometime.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo, I ended up with a CVA wolf, Bass pro in Auburn had one for 315 with a scope and a case, added in the primers, pellets and cleaning products and I was out the door a happy man. Had her in the bullseye in 3 shots. I’m sure happy and appreciative of everyone who chimed  in. Ya’ll are great

Edited by Big Indian
Typo
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, sbuff said:

If you shoot bh209 down the road I believe you'll need a new breech plug . If your shooting pyrodex clean clean clean 

They do sell a BH breech plug , it has deeper counter bore on the powder side so that the flame channel is significantly shorter , also switching to a 209 shot primer instead of the weaker  MZ 209 primer. 

On 9/16/2019 at 8:41 PM, Hunter007 said:

A little off topic but  with in the southern zone of NY who has the biggest selection  of muzzle loading stuff  in store to buy from ?

The gun trader in Lakeville. They have a ton of ml stuff. Bob has forgotten more than most people will ever know about frontstuffers.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2019 at 8:14 PM, Skillet said:

The gun trader in Lakeville. They have a ton of ml stuff. Bob has forgotten more than most people will ever know about frontstuffers.

Is there a muzzleloader specific gun shop a little closer to NYC? There is a place in PA (Dixon's) that specializes but they are two hours away. Prefer a smaller shop to a big box.

Thanks.

Edited by left field

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 9:25 AM, Core said:

CVA Wolf is the gold standard of entry level--but capable--MLs.

Splurge a few extra bucks for the stainless steel one (yes it can still rust, so you still need to clean it), and a Nikon Scope for just over $100 and you can be all in for $350 or so with a very capable ML. Mine is so accurate and so pleasant to carry I have not bothered to buy a bolt gun for regular season.

I had the stainless CVA Wolf in my hands last night while at Cabelas..  I almost bought it too.  I think I will be back early next week and get it.  What bullet and charge are you using?  I do not expect to shoot past 100 yds

It was love at first sight.  Its nice and light too

Edited by Arcade Hunter
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I had the stainless CVA Wolf in my hands last night while at Cabelas..  I almost bought it too.  I think I will be back early next week and get it.  What bullet and charge are you using?  I do not expect to shoot past 100 yds

It was love at first sight.  Its nice and light too

I use 120 grain of 777 pellets personally because I got them cheap along with 240 gr shockwave sabot. The very same bullets are sold under a different brand but the same thing (can't recall the other brand). Using remington shotgun primers.

I do clean between every shot when at the range and that may be responsible in part for some of the groups. I'm not sure.

• Like 1