Nice cabin and some land

I sure miss the little camp i used to have on Chase lake.  But also prob wouldnt buy another.  If I was gonna invest would just buy land with a house on it instead of having upkeep on two places.  But I sure had some great times at camp. I looked at and considered a couple north of Camden/Florence/Osceola area but just figured leasing land is easier and less expensive.  Plus i spend a lot of the summer on the lake and in the fall the hunting isnt as good up there as it is in Southern zone.  If I ever did it would go with just a base camp with no electric/water - maybe one of those Amish sheds.  Camp was great until you had two septics, two roofs, two sets of water lines, two yards to rake etc...... 

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I sure miss the little camp i used to have on Chase lake.  But also prob wouldnt buy another.  If I was gonna invest would just buy land with a house on it instead of having upkeep on two places.  But I sure had some great times at camp. I looked at and considered a couple north of Camden/Florence/Osceola area but just figured leasing land is easier and less expensive.  Plus i spend a lot of the summer on the lake and in the fall the hunting isnt as good up there as it is in Southern zone.  If I ever did it would go with just a base camp with no electric/water - maybe one of those Amish sheds.  Camp was great until you had two septics, two roofs, two sets of water lines, two yards to rake etc...... 

My goal is to pick up a piece of around 5-10 acres that borders state land , probably have an area for parking a camper in the summer and fall to use as a camp and base camp for hunting season. 

2 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Get a condo downstate and the house and land upstate for hunting.  I did.  Now I live at "deer camp" and rent out the condo.

thats kinda what I did.  Bought a cottage on the lake and its 6 minutes from hunting lease.  Just minus the downstate condo.  

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

My goal is to pick up a piece of around 5-10 acres that borders state land , probably have an area for parking a camper in the summer and fall to use as a camp and base camp for hunting season. 

one of my buddies is thinking about doing that out in the Norwich area.  Just park a camper on some land he might inherit and use it as a camp.  Less town/reg hassles and upkeep. - I told him great- I already have to decide between three units I hunt to put in for doe permits- might as well add another - lol 

Always nice to have a getaway.  When I had a camp only a handful of people ever knew where it was.  Some college buddies once tried to find me while i was there for a weekend.  Funny thing was they were within 200 yards of it at one point!.  And they had quite an adventure looking for it.  I brought them up a couple of times later for some hunting weekends.     

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

one of my buddies is thinking about doing that out in the Norwich area.  Just park a camper on some land he might inherit and use it as a camp.  Less town/reg hassles and upkeep. - I told him great- I already have to decide between three units I hunt to put in for doe permits- might as well add another - lol 

Thats where im at just tell him if hes not used to this area that norwich is split in half for units.  One half is 7m with 2 doe tag chances the other is 7p with a medium and only 1 chance. River is the line.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

thats kinda what I did.  Bought a cottage on the lake and its 6 minutes from hunting lease.  Just minus the downstate condo.  

Always nice to have a getaway.  When I had a camp only a handful of people ever knew where it was.  Some college buddies once tried to find me while i was there for a weekend.  Funny thing was they were within 200 yards of it at one point!.  And they had quite an adventure looking for it.  I brought them up a couple of times later for some hunting weekends.     

I recently lost one spot to hunt and the other has never been that great ,just convenient.  I'm not really bound to any locations currently.

On 8/20/2019 at 5:55 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

I had the opportunity to buy a really nice cabin this year at a great price from a neighbor and I came to the same conclusion. I spend so much time working on my house, remodeling/updating, etc. the last thing I need is to have to do it on two places, unless the cabin was brand new and basically a rental property as well.

I am still looking for land in the webster/walworth type area, but with kids and a job I just don't have time for two buildings unfortunately.

Financially leasing land is the smartest approach and invest the difference (land is a terrible investment, generally), but there's essentially no land to lease close to Rochester that I've ever found.

Edited by Core