Pickling and Canning

Arcade Hunter

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 6:18 PM, Enigma said:

Let's get this thread going again! I'm guiltly of cultural appropriation I guess lol. Jarred up today . . . 

Pickled Polish kielbasa and onions. Big Party and Wedding from the shop on the corner. 

Hot n spicy eggs from an Indian recipe.

Pickled red onions from Mexico.

And the flippin best! Korean Kim Chee, "Americanized". I had enough left of my "reserve" to fill two pints for a friend from a crock I've had since '18. Just the funkiest, nastiest, garlic-ginger-red pepper goodness a person could ever ask for.

I dont care what color, persuasion or political thought you believe in. If we can't sit down and break bread together with something soaked in vinegar we have no hope!

20200716_172328.jpg

20200716_172403.jpg

Are you pressure canning the sausage and eggs?

19 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Are you pressure canning the sausage and eggs?

No. Both are what you'd call refrigerator recipes I guess. Prepare food, cool completely, into jars and store in the fridge. Last time I checked the USDA didn't recommend pressure canning eggs due to the risk of salmonella (?). Not sure how that squares with the gallons of pickled eggs I see for sale in stores but anyway . . . 

Feel free to PM me for the recipes. Both are very simple and very good!

• Like 1

I’m a little disappointed that I couldn’t put more jars away of pickled jalapeños (cowboy candy) this year. Part of the problem is I got one twin who eats them with almost every meal…on his egg sandwich, his burger, on top of grilled chicken…kids killing my stash!!!!
He also ate a cucumber a day (not counting the cukes that go in the nightly salad). Barely any left for pickles!!!
Guess that’s why we have a garden!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Our CCE Nutrition Educator is doing a Zoom Training on "Making Jerky and Canning Meat" on October 7th. If anyone is interested, here is some information. I will say that Diane does a great job with her classes.

Making Jerky & Canning Meat: Thursday, October 7, 6:00-8:30 pm
Learn how to safely make your own jerky in an oven or food dehydrator. Canned meat is tender and makes a quick meal. Learn the steps to safe pressure canning, a process that can be used for preserving vegetables and soups too. Includes a discussion of proper freezing procedures and materials, plus a demonstration of canning meat. Register for Zoom link https://cornell.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYlcuyqpjstGtbq05xn6m_J1OjUVtV8Xafq

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

We just finished up cutting, peeling, and crushing up 75#'s of tomatoes. They're simmering for the rest of the night and will simmer for about another 6 hours tomorrow before they get jarred up.

Been wanting to do this for years.  Assuming you bought them where did you get the bushels?

17 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

Been wanting to do this for years.  Assuming you bought them where did you get the bushels?

We got them at Black Horse Farm in Athens, they were $20 for a 25# box. We usually get or canning tomatoes at Shauls in Fultonham but, we just had to much going on to get out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

We got them at Black Horse Farm in Athens, they were $20 for a 25# box. We usually get or canning tomatoes at Shauls in Fultonham but, we just had to much going on to get out there.

Good to know.  Athens isn't too far from me and I’m up that way pretty often doing outdoor stuff. 

• Like 1

Made chicken soup yesterday for my gf. Two quarts and five pints (she took one pint before I got a pic). She likes to take a pint to work for lunch. She likes just chicken, celery and onions. I added some poultry seasoning on a whim and it darkened it up some. It was good. Best part is she likes it alot and thinks I'm a genius chef haha. I lied a little bit and said I slaved over it. :D

20210915_110138.jpg

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

10 quarts of canned tomatoes 6 in pressure cooker now 4 to go.

IMG_20210915_145827681.jpg

Thanks for posing this pic. I had an "aha" moment when I saw it. My AAC does not have the weighted pressure release on the top like yours. It only has a pressure gauge and a flip type pressure release (its old). So when I run it I have to mess with the heat some to get it to settle in around 11#'s. I see how the system on yours would be easier to run. Thanks again for the pic.

And FWIW, I used a new-to-me type of jar lid for this canner run. They're from China, purchased on Amazon by the gf. They are definitely thinner than your standard Ball brand lid but they were inexpensive and everything I ran yesterday sealed nicely. I know local supplies can get limited at this time of the year so this might be an alternative to someone if they get in a bind.

20210915_115941.jpg

• Like 1