Pickling and Canning

Arcade Hunter

56 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Thanks for posing this pic. I had an "aha" moment when I saw it. My AAC does not have the weighted pressure release on the top like yours. It only has a pressure gauge and a flip type pressure release (its old). So when I run it I have to mess with the heat some to get it to settle in around 11#'s. I see how the system on yours would be easier to run. Thanks again for the pic.

Yea no problem I just set it at the psi and it regulates itself my mom picked it up at a liquidation store only thing wrong was one of the locking screws the plastic was cracked but it still locks in. What a steal.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Cuz using the pressure canner is 40 mins compared to an hour and half the water bath. I use water bath on lots of things too.

What recipe? Everything I know doesn't require p canning tomato products. Short hot water bath n done. Not saying you re wrong, It'd be definitely safe to eat, but I'd just hate to see you wasting extra time. See pic for a page from the AAC cookbook. Bottom part of the page. Keep us in the loop!

20210915_195005.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Enigma said:

What recipe? Everything I know doesn't require p canning tomato products. Short hot water bath n done. Not saying you re wrong, It'd be definitely safe to eat, but I'd just hate to see you wasting extra time. See pic for a page from the AAC cookbook. Bottom part of the page. Keep us in the loop!

20210915_195005.jpg

Yea I just checked it I went off pressure canning tomatoes off the internet. Good call ten minutes is always better then 40 I must have miss read it.

2 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yea no problem I just set it at the psi and it regulates itself my mom picked it up at a liquidation store only thing wrong was one of the locking screws the plastic was cracked but it still locks in. What a steal.

Love it! A steal for sure.

See first pic. I got my AAC from a pack rat friend 20 yrs ago. He had picked it up at a garage sale from the "free" pile. He told me to take it cause he'd never use it lol. I remind him what a dope he was every couple years or so haha.

Pic 2. My mother, lol, picked up this twisty canner last month at yup, a garage sale. $10. 

Mom's loooove to look for bargins.

Resized_20210914_135115.jpeg

Resized_20210903_172722.jpg

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Unfortunate! Tell us how it happened if you could.

I let the pressure go down and then I grab them with my canning jar lifter and brought 2 out side like I did the previous 6 that had cooled. I brought out the third one and place it down like all others I grab the fourth one and was on my out with my wife son and dog and we heard a huge bang and alittle rumble. Returned the 4 the to the canner and went outside my siding windows truck wife's car tomatoes and glass everywhere. I use all sorts of canning glass jars I think this was one of the old glass mayonnaise jars. My family used them for years. I won't be anymore. Lots of clean up first time I've had it happen like that.

3 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yea I just checked it I went off pressure canning tomatoes off the internet. Good call ten minutes is always better then 40 I must have miss read it.

Np.

I've followed this recommendation with no issues so I think you're good. 

Be safe and keep up the solid work!

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Love it! A steal for sure.

See first pic. I got my AAC from a pack rat friend 20 yrs ago. He had picked it up at a garage sale from the "free" pile. He told me to take it cause he'd never use it lol. I remind him what a dope he was every couple years or so haha.

Pic 2. My mother, lol, picked up this twisty canner last month at yup, a garage sale. $10. 

Mom's loooove to look for bargins.

Resized_20210914_135115.jpeg

Resized_20210903_172722.jpg

I got the bottom one too I use it for corned beef

Never have done much canning but it's something that does interest me. We went shopping today and while sam's club seemed normal Walmart seemed like they were out of a lot of normal stuff like vegetables and some dairy products. Definitely makes me interested in keeping more stuff on hand around the house.

10 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I let the pressure go down and then I grab them with my canning jar lifter and brought 2 out side like I did the previous 6 that had cooled. I brought out the third one and place it down like all others I grab the fourth one and was on my out with my wife son and dog and we heard a huge bang and alittle rumble. Returned the 4 the to the canner and went outside my siding windows truck wife's car tomatoes and glass everywhere. I use all sorts of canning glass jars I think this was one of the old glass mayonnaise jars. My family used them for years. I won't be anymore. Lots of clean up first time I've had it happen like that.

Wow! Glad to hear it was just a mess and no one was close when it went bang. Sound's like a jar/lid failure as you surmised. Good call on ditching the old jars. 

17 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

10 quarts of canned tomatoes 6 in pressure cooker now 4 to go.

IMG_20210915_145827681.jpg

IMG_20210915_145840514.jpg

Nice All American... I am not wanting to pay the top dollar for a pressure canner so I have decided on this Presto 23 Qt model.  I've watched plenty of videos on U tube of folks using them and Ill admit, they look trickier to use than the all american.  Im sure I can get good with it.. I have patience!  Anyone ever use one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYCFU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AAFUY8Q6EU21B&psc=1

I am pulling the trigger on it.  Also getting a 2 pack of dividers /shelves so I can do two layers.

Plan on preserving venison, soups and broths and stews.

4 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Nice All American... I am not wanting to pay the top dollar for a pressure canner so I have decided on this Presto 23 Qt model.  I've watched plenty of videos on U tube of folks using them and Ill admit, they look trickier to use than the all american.  Im sure I can get good with it.. I have patience!  Anyone ever use one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYCFU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AAFUY8Q6EU21B&psc=1

I am pulling the trigger on it.  Also getting a 2 pack of dividers /shelves so I can do two layers.

Plan on preserving venison, soups and broths and stews.

I have a presto 6 quart pressure cooker. It works good. Never used the one your getting. 

IMG_20210916_125546215.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Looks great!  I am going to order my pressure canner this week and can any of last years veneson thats left in the freezer.  Id also like to can some different kinds of local grown squash.  Just the beginning!

I did zucchini and squash b4 but by the time them cook down after being full to the brim not worth it. I'd like to do butternut squash.  I've done canned chicken and turkey. I should try to can some of my leftover venison. Let me know how it turns out. I've done lots of broth too.makes for easy meals.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I did zucchini and squash b4 but by the time them cook down after being full to the brim not worth it. I'd like to do butternut squash.  I've done canned chicken and turkey. I should try to can some of my leftover venison. Let me know how it turns out. I've done lots of broth too.makes for easy meals.

I've done squash before but cook it down before canning. lets you keep a jar full that way...lol. You will get hooked on the canned venison. I like a cold pack method. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've done squash before but cook it down before canning. lets you keep a jar full that way...lol. You will get hooked on the canned venison. I like a cold pack method. 

Cold pack is that where you put raw meat in jar with seasonings and it cooks in pressure canner. Do you add water? How do you do it?