Pickling and Canning

Arcade Hunter

17 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Cold pack is that where you put raw meat in jar with seasonings and it cooks in pressure canner. Do you add water? How do you do it?

I am going from memory but I can't recommend the Ball Canning guide enough. It is very helpful becasue pressure canning is NOT the activity to venture out on unproven recipes. 

I use about 1" to 1-1/2" cubes of venison. pack in sanitized and warm jars (I like pint narrow mouth becasue it seems to hold the meat down well). I add in a couple whole cloves of garlic and about a quarter section of a small onion.  dash of Cayenne pepper or a hot pepper (optional) I can't remember the amount of canning salt but that is added too. Pack tightly as possible to reduce air space and pressure can. I think it was 60 minutes for pints and 90 minute for quarts. No additional water required. It's simple, delicious and really makes a great use for lesser cuts of meat.  SUPER tender and even heavy sinew cooks down and the meat falls apart with a fork. Good use for shanks and lower quarter meat. 

• Like 5

Last week we "crushed", I waited a day and then added wine yeast. Yesterday was "pressing" day and time to put the wine in the barrel for a two year fermentation.
The press belonged to my friends grandfather, I replaced the oak slates 20 years ago, they are still going strong. The barrel is brand new, oak from Minnesota and made in Ohio, it has been charred inside to a medium toast.
This varietal is Zinfandel from Lodi Valley in California. All told, we got 77 gallons of juice from 25 36lb boxes which is about average. After racking and spillage we will end up with around 28 cases of wine or 336 bottles.
01ac4f951bca4a8a73fcce9251092bf5.jpgd1e0a12ce091c7fbe2fd0685d3515e06.jpgd3a304f5f37e840906d661aa80651661.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Otto said:

Last week we "crushed", I waited a day and then added wine yeast. Yesterday was "pressing" day and time to put the wine in the barrel for a two year fermentation.
The press belonged to my friends grandfather, I replaced the oak slates 20 years ago, they are still going strong. The barrel is brand new, oak from Minnesota and made in Ohio, it has been charred inside to a medium toast.
This varietal is Zinfandel from Lodi Valley in California. All told, we got 77 gallons of juice from 25 36lb boxes which is about average. After racking and spillage we will end up with around 28 cases of wine or 336 bottles.
01ac4f951bca4a8a73fcce9251092bf5.jpgd1e0a12ce091c7fbe2fd0685d3515e06.jpgd3a304f5f37e840906d661aa80651661.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ill bet that place smelled fantastic while pressing the grapes!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Looks good how long in canner. Hot or cold pack? Water and teaspoon of salt?

This went for 55 minutes at 11 psi, hot pack.  I blanched the cubed squash for 1 1/2minutes and used the blanching water to top off the jars.  1/4 tsp of canning salt to hep retain the color.

I had a few jars that didnt seal.  I think I forgot to wipe a few jars and I realized that I had tipped a few while removing for the canner which may have caused a problem.  I had one of the unsealed jars last night and I will say that it was supurb.  Dumped the jar in the sauce pan, added a little pat of butter and cooked it down untill the consistancy of mashed.  It needed a dash of salt and pepper for my taste... Outstanding!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

This went for 55 minutes at 11 psi, hot pack.  I blanched the cubed squash for 1 1/2minutes and used the blanching water to top off the jars.  1/4 tsp of canning salt to hep retain the color.

I had a few jars that didnt seal.  I think I forgot to wipe a few jars and I realized that I had tipped a few while removing for the canner which may have caused a problem.  I had one of the unsealed jars last night and I will say that it was supurb.  Dumped the jar in the sauce pan, added a little pat of butter and cooked it down untill the consistancy of mashed.  It needed a dash of salt and pepper for my taste... Outstanding!

if you ever want to be able to fit more in the jars, I cook the squash all the way down prior to canning. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

if you ever want to be able to fit more in the jars, I cook the squash all the way down prior to canning. 

I had thought about that but I didnt do it.  Ill try that next time.  I did eat one of the three unsealed jars.  Just put it on the stove and cooked it down until the extra liquid evaporated off.  That indeed was a treat.  It was so good.  I would buy some frozen when I notice it at the grocery store and the canned squash is so much better by far.  Ill never buy the frozen crap again

Yes we use it for soups ,tacos and chicken salad mostly . Nice not worrying  about the freezer , or power outages . It’s also nice to give a quart or two the kids to have some on hand form time to time . Now to shoot a deer to can !

• Like 2

My lovely better half likes to take a pint of chicken soup to work for lunch. I told her I'd make more but I was short on jars. She showed up two days later with these lol. Funny thing how some soup got made shortly thereafter.

She's also loves jerky. I told her no more jerky till I kill a deer but alas, my hunting boots leak. New boots are on order and will be here by the end of the week. I got her juuuust where I want her lol.

20211106_142020.jpg

20211101_075057.jpg

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 2