Pickling and Canning

Arcade Hunter

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I was able to can 8 pints of venison stew meat.  The job actually went very well.  All 8 jars sealed... Cant wait to try some!

I did a raw pack with no added liquid.  Half teaspoon of canning salt in each jar.  The meat produced a nice looking broth.

canning 010.jpg

canning011.jpg

canning012.jpg

canning013.jpg

You will not be disappointed. That is how my grandma taught me many years ago. Heat it up in a pan with a can of mushroom gravy and a can of mushrooms and have over egg noodles. One of my favorite ways.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Canned ( vacuum packed ) 20 pounds of rice yesterday. If one is interested in combatting food inflation , this is a good way, 20# cost me $10 . Filled 13 plus quarts , which when cooked will expand 3 - 4 times it’s size . Add a can of mushroom soup, some chicken ,add some spices simple and cheap dinner .

The lighting isn’t the best in that part of the basement.

B017195C-6548-48D4-9242-0A2952ACF9A9.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@REDNECK4LIFE32

When we don’t have enough to fill the canner (ours holds 9 quarts) we just freeze those 3 or 4 jars and use those up first.  

Love your method of doing the hot water bath outside, we may do that this year!  Beats all that heat and humidity in our downstairs kitchen.  

Edited by Otto
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That makes two of us (just noticed you said taco sauce, this is regular sauce). If it's good I'm calling it irish sauce. If it's bad just regular Italian sauce. My Italian friends will love that.

Did you peel the tomatoes? I found a quick recipe and it came out good but I should have used a different olive oil. Tomatoes,garlic and basil all from the garden. 100% home grown I take pride in my Irish sauce.

Five more quarts of canned tomatoes. I have another 10 pounds to do something with, probably canning more.

20220907_215513.jpg

Edited by corydd7
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, corydd7 said:

That makes two of us (just noticed you said taco sauce, this is regular sauce). If it's good I'm calling it irish sauce. If it's bad just regular Italian sauce. My Italian friends will love that.

Did you peel the tomatoes? I found a quick recipe and it came out good but I should have used a different olive oil. Tomatoes,garlic and basil all from the garden. 100% home grown I take pride in my Irish sauce.

Five more quarts of canned tomatoes. I have another 10 pounds to do something with, probably canning more.

20220907_215513.jpg

Yes blanched and peeled the tomatoes.

• 1 month later...

Ok today we’re going to can 10 quarts of chicken soup , the online info is all over the place . Some raw pack , others say to cook the soup, then can it , that seems redundant,I mean when I can just chicken meat I raw pack it , so why cook it first when using it in soup ?

Thoughts and experiences appreciated. We may do a batch of each just to see .

Ok today we’re going to can 10 quarts of chicken soup , the online info is all over the place . Some raw pack , others say to cook the soup, then can it , that seems redundant,I mean when I can just chicken meat I raw pack it , so why cook it first when using it in soup ?
Thoughts and experiences appreciated. We may do a batch of each just to see .

I would cook it first unless you’re using a pre made broth. You will no extract enough chicken flavor into the broth through just canning. Plus a good broth is made with bones not meat. Or a combo of the two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Chef said:

I would cook it first unless you’re using a pre made broth. You will no extract enough chicken flavor into the broth through just canning. Plus a good broth is made with bones not meat. Or a combo of the two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always wanted to make venison bone broth... if I do ill surly post up some pics.  

• Like 1

Raw packed it that’s how I do my chicken , with one bullion cube added and that comes out fine .

For the soup we added bone stock to the jars , really loaded up on vegetables and chicken , so when we eat it we’ll add more stock and egg noodles while heating it up as it’s more of a stew consistency now . 

oh and she put in some poultry seasoning of some sort 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Pickled vegatables yesterday with my "crew". Mom n dad are getting older, slowing down quite a bit, but they love to help us do the work to put food away. 

14 quarts, 3 pints pickled vegetables (cauliflower, celery and carrots).

2 quarts, 1 pint pickled brussel sprouts.

4 pints pickled leeks.

1 pint bell peppers, 1 pint hot peppers.

4 pints pickled red onions.

20231023_122918.thumb.jpg.b4ad00e47a14d4d2e035d6045be44a92.jpg

• Like 2

With the threat of temperatures rising to close to 70 degrees over the next couple days the pressure was on to get my deer cut up as quickly as possible.  

After my first and very hectic day back to work yesterday I immediately got to work on it when I got home. I never even ate dinner yesterday.  With my wife doing the canning we got 7 quarts done. There is another close to 7 quarts to can this morning.  

I have several pounds cut and  ready to make jerky tonight, and the hind quarters and back straps in the freezer temporarily. It looks like I beat the warm weather buzzer. 

4970E88D-F4E9-4B38-B646-BB8DE55B805F.jpeg

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 4