Pickling and Canning

Arcade Hunter

Really?  Seems early.  In CNY, the season is about 2 weeks late, so we will be canning in 3 weeks or so.  I just bought a new motorized strainer and meat grinder (made in Bologna, Italy) Can’t wait to use it.  Hoping to do at least 100 quarts this year.  We only did 80 last year.  
Also planning to pickle some green peppers, maybe freeze up some roasted red peppers too.   Just have to find the time. 

Wowsa!! I couldn’t imagine using 100 quarts up in a year!! But then again if your doing the big family dinner every Sunday.....

As bad as the season has been I’ve got a lot of ripe tomatoes. Been eating tomato sandwiches all week! Yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes 3 jars (and 4 - 5 pounds of meat)  to make our sauce.  We have it 2 to 3 times a month, and yes, usually on Sunday.    I do give a dozen to my cousin (he grows the tomatoes), a dozen to another cousin (he gives me a dozen jars of hot banana peppers) and some to my sisters and brother.   It goes fast!  

We like to use the “San Marzano” Italian plum tomato and they take longer to ripen, so it is usually right after Labor Day when they are ready.  Dry, hot weather has been great for tomatoes, after a cool wet spring.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Otto said:

Really?  Seems early.  In CNY, the season is about 2 weeks late, so we will be canning in 3 weeks or so.  I just bought a new motorized strainer and meat grinder (made in Bologna, Italy) Can’t wait to use it.  Hoping to do at least 100 quarts this year.  We only did 80 last year.  

Also planning to pickle some green peppers, maybe freeze up some roasted red peppers too.   Just have to find the time. 

Yup. Saw at least 4 different people doing it last weekend on my instagram feed.

i've done pickles, tomato sauce, and beans. definitely likely i'll be doing more but you really need to setup to do a lot or it's just a PITA. grandparents on both sides canned to survive (mom one of 6 and dad one of 8). they've done a ton to where they'd live off it between growing seasons. we'll see once i get a new garden established at the house i'm in now.

good idea to use up zucchini that gets over grown on you. They always seem to com in more than you can eat or give away.  Take the big ones. cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seed and mushy layer. slice up in pickle spear sizes to fit your jars. use pickle crisp and pickle with you favorite pickle brine recipe. makes a great pickle.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We ended up doing 134 quarts of tomatoes because our friends wanted 24 quarts. So they helped us with the remaining 18 boxes of tomatoes.
Also have an additional 75 gallons of Zinfandel in the barrel for the next 2 years. Just bottled up the 2017 vintage which is drinking quite well!
5a6513a229e0f006f0dfae451850de60.jpg
7747233a5e7517dff55c627dc1c9ff4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Otto said:

We ended up doing 134 quarts of tomatoes because our friends wanted 24 quarts. So they helped us with the remaining 18 boxes of tomatoes.
Also have an additional 75 gallons of Zinfandel in the barrel for the next 2 years. Just bottled up the 2017 vintage which is drinking quite well!
5a6513a229e0f006f0dfae451850de60.jpg
7747233a5e7517dff55c627dc1c9ff4b.jpg

Otto,

Do you buy the juice from a vineyard or squeeze it yourself?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Let's get this thread going again! I'm guiltly of cultural appropriation I guess lol. Jarred up today . . . 

Pickled Polish kielbasa and onions. Big Party and Wedding from the shop on the corner. 

Hot n spicy eggs from an Indian recipe.

Pickled red onions from Mexico.

And the flippin best! Korean Kim Chee, "Americanized". I had enough left of my "reserve" to fill two pints for a friend from a crock I've had since '18. Just the funkiest, nastiest, garlic-ginger-red pepper goodness a person could ever ask for.

I dont care what color, persuasion or political thought you believe in. If we can't sit down and break bread together with something soaked in vinegar we have no hope!

20200716_172328.jpg

20200716_172403.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a busy couple of weeks. We are up to 81 quarts of tomatoes so far, I'd like to do 50 or so more. I've already given away 40 jars, and have another dozen promised. Tomatoes are beautiful this year!

e117416b080c6072673a361eb8fb3aed.jpg&key=00350e2d71bf3590d69cef50eb81c2f6ea8a858007d2724f53803892ac0fd2e5

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Otto said:

Been a busy couple of weeks. We are up to 81 quarts of tomatoes so far, I'd like to do 50 or so more. I've already given away 40 jars, and have another dozen promised. Tomatoes are beautiful this year!

e117416b080c6072673a361eb8fb3aed.jpg&key=00350e2d71bf3590d69cef50eb81c2f6ea8a858007d2724f53803892ac0fd2e5

Awesome, just awesome. 

On 7/16/2020 at 6:18 PM, Enigma said:

Let's get this thread going again! I'm guiltly of cultural appropriation I guess lol. Jarred up today . . . 

Pickled Polish kielbasa and onions. Big Party and Wedding from the shop on the corner. 

Hot n spicy eggs from an Indian recipe.

Pickled red onions from Mexico.

And the flippin best! Korean Kim Chee, "Americanized". I had enough left of my "reserve" to fill two pints for a friend from a crock I've had since '18. Just the funkiest, nastiest, garlic-ginger-red pepper goodness a person could ever ask for.

I dont care what color, persuasion or political thought you believe in. If we can't sit down and break bread together with something soaked in vinegar we have no hope!

20200716_172328.jpg

20200716_172403.jpg

Could you share a recipe for the pickled polish kielbasa 

• Like 1