Looking for a new Pickup

Marion

I don't see Toyota giving manufacturer rebates of $9-13,000 every year to push trucks either. That's because they aren't way overpriced to begin with, they sell without extreme discounts. I'm not a Toyota fanboy by any means, just call it as I see it. I researched all truck brands before I bought my Tundra and I have zero regrets. I liked my Rams but the body rot was ridiculous.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yota makes a decent truck but the factory incentives on the other brands don’t make up for the Yota short comings. Only reason the other brands offer incentives is because they are in competition to sell more than the others. Yota doesn’t even try to compete as they never planned on fighting for top spot, therefore offer next to nothing for incentives. If you looked at the spec sheets and compared them all, tundras are severely over priced when you spec out a truck that needs to actually do truck work. Again, decent trucks, but if you needed a half ton with the most power and highest tow ratings, your not looking at a Toyota, and you sure wouldn’t want to be paying extra for one.

Yota makes a decent truck but the factory incentives on the other brands don’t make up for the Yota short comings. Only reason the other brands offer incentives is because they are in competition to sell more than the others. Yota doesn’t even try to compete as they never planned on fighting for top spot, therefore offer next to nothing for incentives. If you looked at the spec sheets and compared them all, tundras are severely over priced when you spec out a truck that needs to actually do truck work. Again, decent trucks, but if you needed a half ton with the most power and highest tow ratings, your not looking at a Toyota, and you sure wouldn’t want to be paying extra for one.
How do you figure they aren't work capable compared to others? They arent luxury automobiles like the major 3 have become if that's what you mean? If you have looked at truck prices lately you aren't paying more for a Toyota than any other brand? To each their own, but I bet my Rocker panels and wheel wells last longer than the big 3 and I'd dare to guess when I do finally trade it in I'll make out better there too. I find most people get hung up on "what dad used to always drive" rather than keeping their eyes open to something else. A Tundra may not be for everyone, but it's for me. It has shortcomings compared to some other trucks but they all do. I saw a Tundra tow a space shuttle once, that's all I need to see... Haha.

• Like 1

How do you figure they aren't work capable compared to others? They arent luxury automobiles like the major 3 have become if that's what you mean? If you have looked at truck prices lately you aren't paying more for a Toyota than any other brand? To each their own, but I bet my Rocker panels and wheel wells last longer than the big 3 and I'd dare to guess when I do finally trade it in I'll make out better there too. I find most people get hung up on "what dad used to always drive" rather than keeping their eyes open to something else. A Tundra may not be for everyone, but it's for me. It has shortcomings compared to some other trucks but they all do. I saw a Tundra tow a space shuttle once, that's all I need to see... Haha.

I didn’t say they weren’t work capable. But they don’t have the highest tow ratings or payload ratings or highest HP. Your reasoning that Toyota is better because they don’t offer massive incentives is completely false and has zero correlation is what I was trying to point out.

I'll just leave these here... Sorry for the poor quality. IMG_20190820_144448721.thumb.jpg.2b9ead9f97dc4a377cfeed2dc8434aca.jpgIMG_20190820_144511041.thumb.jpg.bf62b02d034d659d48c9a91b4d10b32d.jpgIMG_20190820_144554238.thumb.jpg.34268d5e55982546612a6de9669db61d.jpgIMG_20190820_144612411.thumb.jpg.1b0f7aa62543f185107d0d6122a994af.jpgIMG_20190820_144708668.thumb.jpg.63c66be98d1d848885cbdabd84069097.jpg

You should really know a 3 second google search isn’t the answer to everything. The list about payload ratings, where’s Ford?? That list shows dodge as number 1 when I know that’s false. The fact that Ford isn’t even on the list should tell you something about the source.

I didn’t say they weren’t work capable. But they don’t have the highest tow ratings or payload ratings or highest HP. Your reasoning that Toyota is better because they don’t offer massive incentives is completely false and has zero correlation is what I was trying to point out.
It's true they aren't the highest but who in all honesty pushes the towing limits on any regular basis with their half ton pickup? I'd bet 90% never will, it's like target shooting at 30yds with a 300WM in my opinion, Yea itll work, Yea it's powerful, Yea it's capable of a lot more, but if you aren't ever needing it what's the point of using it's extreme capabilities as a selling point? Like I said it's not the king of all trucks, it's not perfect. A lot of people are quick to dismiss a "Foreign" truck without knowing anything about them? I get what you're saying though. There is no BEST truck.

• Like 1

It's true they aren't the highest but who in all honesty pushes the towing limits on any regular basis with their half ton pickup? I'd bet 90% never will, it's like target shooting at 30yds with a 300WM in my opinion, Yea itll work, Yea it's powerful, Yea it's capable of a lot more, but if you aren't ever needing it what's the point of using it's extreme capabilities as a selling point? Like I said it's not the king of all trucks, it's not perfect. A lot of people are quick to dismiss a "Foreign" truck without knowing anything about them? I get what you're saying though. There is no BEST truck.  

I agree. Most truck drivers these days don’t ever tow or haul much more than the occasional sofa. It’s more of a “because I can if I wanted to” thing. I haul enough stuff around that the extra ratings and power are quite useful to me at least.

I don’t dismiss the foreign brands like a lot of people do though. I’ve got a Nissan Titan X D sitting in my driveway right next to my F150. I embrace both sides of the fence.

• Like 1

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-pickup-trucks

Honda Ridgeline # 1

Ford Ranger # 2

Jeep Gladiator # 3 tied with Toyota Tacoma

GMC Canyon # 5

Chevy Colorado # 6

For me, I eliminated the Ridgeline based on looks. Other than that personal preference, it has great reviews. Based on everything I wanted I was down to the Ranger or Colorado and just liked the Ranger better.

• Like 1

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-pickup-trucks

Honda Ridgeline # 1

Ford Ranger # 2

Jeep Gladiator # 3 tied with Toyota Tacoma

GMC Canyon # 5

Chevy Colorado # 6

For me, I eliminated the Ridgeline based on looks. Other than that personal preference, it has great reviews. Based on everything I wanted I was down to the Ranger or Colorado and just liked the Ranger better.

Not too shabby for a vehicle thats only been available in the states for a few months. 

• Like 1

If you've got kids, or working on having kids, a CC is handy.  

My last to trucks were Ram 3500 CC. 99% of the time those rear seat were empty.  Well, lots of "stuff" but rarely had people back there. 

Just bought a Ford f350 super cab. Long bed.  Yes I lost cab space, if someone had to ride back there they can, but I gained bed length. 

Missed the 8' bed on the Rams.  The reason I didn't want a CC with the long box, is for plowing, it would be too damm long. 

23 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

Yes I did. IMO, that GMC does nothing for me. I’m actually liking the Ridgeline more every day. I do wish the front end was a bit “tougher” looking... and I am over the chrome stuff. But, I will tell you, it drives as nice as a Cadaverlac!

looks are subjective so i'll give you that. There's no right or wrong, but I do believe you're in the minority here. I know a lot of guys really like the styling of the new ram's too but they don't do much for me.

Edited by Belo

2 hours ago, mowin said:

If you've got kids, or working on having kids, a CC is handy.  

My last to trucks were Ram 3500 CC. 99% of the time those rear seat were empty.  Well, lots of "stuff" but rarely had people back there. 

Just bought a Ford f350 super cab. Long bed.  Yes I lost cab space, if someone had to ride back there they can, but I gained bed length. 

Missed the 8' bed on the Rams.  The reason I didn't want a CC with the long box, is for plowing, it would be too damm long. 

i'll add that a silverado double cab is more roomy than one might think. I could comfortably haul my 3 boys, 2 in car seats in my 16 double without an issue. The doors open regularly and not like the previous gen suicide doors, and the leg room is quite a bit more. I only upgraded to a crew because the do didn't really have much space on the floor. 

The crew would be needed to for a long drive if you have adults in the back, but is adequate for shorter drive imo.

37 minutes ago, Belo said:

shoot, a nicely equipped denali is more than that.

yea going rate for a 2019 1500 denali is advertised at 64-65k around here but they'd go for less to move it.  terms "nicely equipped" and "denali" are redundant. lol

• Haha 1

Payload, towing Capacity, etc...  is a bunch of marketing speak the way the manufacturers present it...   If you are going to use a truck for towing, which I do, you need to do more due diligence that read the types of articles posted above..

I owned Chevy, Ford and Dodge in the past 7 or 8 years and one of those in my opinion stands out from the group for what I use a truck for.   it is the Ford F250 that I own now..   I will stick with Ford going forward (assuming they keep doing what they are doing)

24 minutes ago, t_barb said:

Payload, towing Capacity, etc...  is a bunch of marketing speak the way the manufacturers present it...   If you are going to use a truck for towing, which I do, you need to do more due diligence that read the types of articles posted above..

I owned Chevy, Ford and Dodge in the past 7 or 8 years and one of those in my opinion stands out from the group for what I use a truck for.   it is the Ford F250 that I own now..   I will stick with Ford going forward (assuming they keep doing what they are doing)

Absolutely.  There's more to the numbers then towing. 

Lot of half tons claim to tow impressive numbers, 11k +.  However the payload # is low.   Hook up a 11k camper, and most likely your close to, or over the payload. 

Edited by mowin

3 hours ago, Belo said:

looks are subjective so i'll give you that. There's no right or wrong, but I do believe you're in the minority here. I know a lot of guys really like the styling of the new ram's too but they don't do much for me.

I have no problem being in the minority! LOL. Besides, when you young studs grow old (like me), your selection criteria often changes. Whatever lifts your skirt! LOL

26 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

I have no problem being in the minority! LOL. Besides, when you young studs grow old (like me), your selection criteria often changes. Whatever lifts your skirt! LOL

i guess that's fair. my old man also has a honda crv in addition to his 01 silverado that he has babied since new. thing is still is rust free, which is unheard of for that gen in upstate ny. lol.

"Half-Ton" and "3/4 ton" are the dumbest references I hear when people talk about trucks payload.

Simple math is:

1 ton = 2,000lbs

1/2 ton = 1,000lbs

3/4 ton = 1,500lbs

So a Ford Ranger that has 1560-1860lbs payload (depending on the model), is 3/4 ton to 9/10's ton pickup truck? it makes no sense. It is not 1953 anymore. STOP USING THIS OUTDATED PHRASE!!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

"Half-Ton" and "3/4 ton" are the dumbest references I hear when people talk about trucks payload.

Simple math is:

1 ton = 2,000lbs

1/2 ton = 1,000lbs

3/4 ton = 1,500lbs

So a Ford Ranger that has 1560-1860lbs payload (depending on the model), is 1/2 ton to 9/10's ton pickup truck? it makes no sense. It is not 1953 anymore. STOP USING THIS OUTDATED PHRASE!!

That may have been true 30 yrs ago, not now.  My f350 has over 5000 lbs of payload

Edited by mowin
  • Like 2