Pennsylvania Bull Elk Lottery Winner

Lawdwaz

There's a thread on here talking about the PA Elk drawing.  I HAD 12 points but sadly have 13 now that I didn't draw this year but did read on this thread that a fellow from Williamsville did draw a tag.  I immediately recognized his name but wondered if it really could be true so I sent him a text last night.  I've known him for probably 25 years, not close but an acquaintance I met through NY Bowhunters Inc and we bump into one and other every couple years here and there.

About ten minutes after my text he called me, wow he was beyond excited!  He was on a plane heading to Florida when the Game Commission was calling him.  He got off the plane and checked his phone and there were three missed calls from a PA area code.  I guess he called them back and got the big news........

He has had many phone calls and text messages from people congratulating him and numerous guides offering their services.  He has also spoke to the Game Commission about this hunt and everybody there and the guides too have tried (not that he needed it) to impress on him the magnitude of this September bugle archery tag.  One outfitter said he has permission from a farmer to hunt a piece of ground inhabited by a 400"+ bull.   I'm not sure if he said that guide or another guide said if we have an opportunity at a 370" bull the first day he would encourage my buddy to NOT shoot it.   :)

These bulls have never been hunted in September, this is the first year and a big deal.  These guides/outfitters are really trying to get his business.  He said he was going to head down in the next couple weeks to look over the ground and interview some guides.

One very large well known call company has offered to send one of their pro staff along with a video crew to accompany him!  I don't know if I could handle the pressure from that but he seems like he could handle it. 

When he called me the first thing he said was that I was on his list of people to call when he got back from Florida.  We talked for about ten minutes and he said he keep me posted on the hunt.

Very cool......

• Like 20

Congrats to this hunter!!!  Certainly this is the hunting opportunity of a lifetime!

Would love to hear everything, from selecting a guide, property chosin to hunt, set up prior to the hunt, and of course all the details of the hunt itself!!

That would be epic!!  I get warm and fuzzy just thinking about it!

Kinda of off topic but parts of the elk range in PA looks like it's less then 20 miles away from NY border in places  have there been elk  sightings yet on  NY  side of border   along that border like around Allegheny maybe ? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=elk+zones+pa&safe=off&prmd=minv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil4c2k2ZLkAhWthOAKHdSaDdwQ_AUoAnoECA8QAg&biw=360&bih=520#imgrc=6xcV9sfbWHBgSM

3 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Kinda of off topic but parts of the elk range in PA looks like it's less then 20 miles away from NY border in places  have there been elk  sightings yet on  NY  side of border   along that border like around Allegheny maybe ? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=elk+zones+pa&safe=off&prmd=minv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil4c2k2ZLkAhWthOAKHdSaDdwQ_AUoAnoECA8QAg&biw=360&bih=520#imgrc=6xcV9sfbWHBgSM

Ive lived in that area my whole life, 10 minutes from allegany state park and we have never seen, heard any elk. If they were here word would spread fast lol

yeah i gave up on those tags, figured if i was ever gonna do it just go west and get an OTC tag, they really messed it up this year in PA with the draw system. 

What’s messed up this year compared to the last 15+ years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well now if you want to bow hunt you have to start all over with 0 preference points I thought, your preference points only carried over for regular season. So you have to apply for 3 different tags (bow late and regular) I know if selected you keep your other points but I don’t care about that a sit would be a one time deal for me. 

Your odds of drawing are so remote that the argument is moot....Better chance of hitting the lottery for a million or so...

If you want to hunt elk, go OUT WEST and hunt them in the Rocky Mountains, and quit trying to draw an incredibly impossible tag  to shoot one in someone's back yard down in Pennsylvania...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

The season opened this past Saturday and I can only imagine the excitement.  At 1:31am I received a text that I didn't see until about 5am.  It read "Pa has a new archery record bull!!!!!!!"........that's IT, no hints on WTH happened.  :)

I waited till 6am and sent a text of congratulations. He sent me the specifics, briefly. LOL  57 yards, double lung, 60 yards and pecker in the dirt.

His cell signal was very weak and he couldn't get the pics out.  I finally got them this afternoon.....

0tkWXKy.jpg

oBqspy3.jpg

If I understand it correct there were 5 bull tag holders so potentially there are 4 tags to go on a bigger bull so we'll see what happens, not that it really matters.  He killed a beauty of a bull elk in gorgeous country, approx. 140 miles south of Buffalo.  Congratulations Jim!!

• Like 18

19 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

UPDATE

The season opened this past Saturday and I can only imagine the excitement.  At 1:31am I received a text that I didn't see until about 5am.  It read "Pa has a new archery record bull!!!!!!!"........that's IT, no hints on WTH happened.  :)

I waited till 6am and sent a text of congratulations. He sent me the specifics, briefly. LOL  57 yards, double lung, 60 yards and pecker in the dirt.

His cell signal was very weak and he couldn't get the pics out.  I finally got them this afternoon.....

0tkWXKy.jpg

oBqspy3.jpg

If I understand it correct there were 5 bull tag holders so potentially there are 4 tags to go on a bigger bull so we'll see what happens, not that it really matters.  He killed a beauty of a bull elk in gorgeous country, approx. 140 miles south of Buffalo.  Congratulations Jim!!

Thats one heck of a bull in my eyes.congrats to him!!!!