Yeah Baby

3 weeks old and despite early drought plot is coming in nicely.  Beans and brassicas.  Happy with results.  Now when to drop fertilizer?

sure hope the fellow in top pic likes beans.  Still around I believe.  

67DBB663-0E63-4667-9912-678EB2AD6EFB.jpeg

11F6C95C-0C45-46E1-9BDB-14865472552C.jpeg

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Looks good! I always fertilize when I plant, then if needed, Ill add more once its growing. Thats only happened once or twice over the years.

Really.  Hmm, I usually wait 4-6 weeks.  Maybe I will add some fertilizer labor day weekend.

Plot is coming in great!!! Weather has been perfect for growing the last month.  Nice work!  Is that your Mendon property?

Be awesome to see you in a picture with that buck this fall!!!  What a giant!

Fertilize on or around Labor Day.  That is usually our target date.

Edited by grampy

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

Plot is coming in great!!! Weather has been perfect for growing the last month.  Nice work!  Is that your Mendon property?

Be awesome to see you in a picture with that buck this fall!!!  What a giant!

Fertilize on or around Labor Day.  That is usually our target date.

You blind is just behind me and to the left Dave and that buck has shown two years in a row but only for 3-4 days in the last week of Oct.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

it's awesome they haven't hammered them to dirt. exclusion cage looks like the plot is getting little pressure. seems promising it'll be waiting for them come early fall.

I am surprised but it could be that the deer on mostly in other areas where there is ag available now.  That said, Bob saw a nice 10 when we put the cage up so who knows.  I just hope it grows enough to withstand pressure for a while.

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I am surprised but it could be that the deer on mostly in other areas where there is ag available now.  That said, Bob saw a nice 10 when we put the cage up so who knows.  I just hope it grows enough to withstand pressure for a while.

new hunter setup vibes? lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You blind is just behind me and to the left Dave and that buck has shown two years in a row but only for 3-4 days in the last week of Oct.

What a great set up!!!

Hmmm.......I plan to be there the last weekend in October? But if he walked in front of me and stopped at 15 yards,  I'd be shaking too bad for a clean shot, so he's safe with me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is so strange to me, I have never actually heard of fertilizing after planting unless you end up not putting enough in the ground to begin with and notice stunted growth, etc after it gets going. What is the thought behind adding it later and not working it into the ground initially?

Here is what Ive always done, and had great luck with:

-Spray plots with Gly/2-4d/plant oil

-Wait 2-3 weeks

-Mow dead stuff as short as possible

-Run tiller 1-2 passes depending on conditions

-Spread fertilizer

-Run tiller on shallower setting 1 pass

-The next day I broadcast the seed

-Roll plot

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

This is so strange to me, I have never actually heard of fertilizing after planting unless you end up not putting enough in the ground to begin with and notice stunted growth, etc after it gets going. What is the thought behind adding it later and not working it into the ground initially?

-Wait 2-3 weeks

-Spread fertilizer

-Roll plot

Not sure john.  I always thought you want the fertilizer when the plants are actually growing as a pick me up vs when you first plant.  I am no expert although the plots seem to grow anyways. 

Absent the tiller (which I don't have) and the timing of fertilizer, I pretty much follow the same process.  Instead of tilling, its dragging with pointed instrument to turn over soil, spread seed and drag with flat implement again.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not sure john.  I always thought you want the fertilizer when the plants are actually growing as a pick me up vs when you first plant.  I am no expert although the plots seem to grow anyways. 

I've seen plenty of farmers fertilize once it's growing. Corn especially. I also do it to my lawn every year...lol

19 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Absent the tiller (which I don't have) and the timing of fertilizer, I pretty much follow the same process.  Instead of tilling, its dragging with pointed instrument to turn over soil, spread seed and drag with flat implement again.

Gotcha. Whatever works for you, I was just wondering. Maybe next year Ill do a section of a plot the way you do and see how it does. My big concern would be crushing plants that are already growing with the ATV/spreader. If I was row planting, then no big deal there, but I broadcast.

16 hours ago, Will_C said:

I fertilize brassicas with 15-15-15 when I plant them, usually in the 2nd half of Julu. I then add 46-0-0 nitrogen around Labor Day. It gives them quite a boost.

Thats how I do it basically, but Ive only done the nitrogen thing once. Maybe Ill try that this year, although I went real heavy with the triple 15 when I planted.

Unless the leaves are turning yellow due to lack of nutrients,  then at that point i would add straight Urea, but only when there is rain in the forcast. The urea pellets laying on leaves, will do more damage then good , always add when rain is forecasted for that day or the next.

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thats how I do it basically, but Ive only done the nitrogen thing once. Maybe Ill try that this year, although I went real heavy with the triple 15 when I planted.

Carefully spreading it, I accidentally dropped a bunch in a clump and it burned up that area killing the brassicas. I believe you also have to spread it when it's dry.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:41 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

-Wait 2-3 weeks

-Spread fertilizer

-Roll plot

After the plants have established well, a liquid spraying of 1 tsp. per gallon water of 10-10-10 will give the plants a burst of nitrogen similar to using Miracle Gro. We have used the same formula with the MG too. Just seems to shift the plants into overdrive. And not real expensive with a hand sprayer.