Broad head of choice?

fadetoblack188

45 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Fun fact: I have never lost a deer with a fixed broadhead or mechanical

Disclaimer: I've never hit the release on a deer.......yet

I have no doubt that your perfection will continue, after you do hit that release this year!!!

You Academy guys got it going on!!     :good:

Rage.

I'll never use a front-opening blade again (dubious blood trail on the entry).

I've experimented a bit with Montec and may use them on the vertical bow this year if they are hitting properly. They don't fly well on my crossbow and veer severely enough that I would not take a shot past 20-25 yards with xbow with them. Really want to use them on vertical, though.

Edited by Core

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'll be shooting the VAP 250gr 3 blade this year. 

8 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Going to be 300g VPA 3 blade with longbow and 125g rage hypo if the compound makes an appearance. 

waiting on an arrow saw in the mail. changing weight of head and insert weights just isn't working out as well without cutting them. once i have a saw i might have to cut to tune for those heads you both are using.

10 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

waiting on an arrow saw in the mail. changing weight of head and insert weights just isn't working out as well without cutting them. once i have a saw i might have to cut to tune for those heads you both are using.

I leave most arrows full length.   But I know that I can tune all of my trad bows with 200-300g heads with a 340 spine arrow.  Some will also tune with a full length 300 spine arrow but not all.  I have a selection of heads from 200-300 and it covers it.  I stopped cutting as it would drive me nuts if I ended with one too stiff.   Cutting works however if you have very consistent form and you only trim a small amount at a time.  Good luck. 

Just ordered some slick tricks too for the compound, I've never heard anything bad about them. I did buy a Bear Super Grizzly recurve a few weeks ago but nowhere near proficient enough to hunt with it yet. Good to know a few of you guys have experience with them, I might need the help along my journey to a traditional deer.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Bought a bunch of rage trypans off a friend who no longer hunts, so ill be using that this season. I have been thinking of switching to fixed broadheads

I switched to muzzy 100 grain a few years ago and haven’t looked back, always a good blood trail and haven’t had a deer go over 80 yards yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Started out in the ‘80s with a four bladed fixed , but a pencil point .

Then a cut on contact Mangus two blade , they sure were bone cutters  , killed many deer some never moved .

Then to today  Mangus Stingers .

I really like heads where the deer don’t run off like they we’re kicked in the a$$, but take a step and look around .

• Like 2

I made the switch to fixed blades for the first time in many years. I picked up a pack of Magnus Black Hornet Serrated and shot them yesterday.  First shot at 30 yards was DEAD NUTS, went out to 40 and had to rotate to the larger spot on the target to be able to see it, but pretty much dead nuts as well.  Can't wait try them on a deer.

66D0D55E-5437-4076-A29A-A48D0857E544.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

• Like 2