Broad head of choice?

fadetoblack188

Forget POI, but how many of you are finding your BHs hit at the same angle as field tips? Spent a while last weekend bareshaft tuning but I'm still finding that montecs tend to be off a few degrees from my field tip arrows, the latter of which always seem to hit at precisely the same angle. This tells me the broadhead is planing the arrow a bit 

7 minutes ago, Core said:

Forget POI, but how many of you are finding your BHs hit at the same angle as field tips? Spent a while last weekend bareshaft tuning but I'm still finding that montecs tend to be off a few degrees from my field tip arrows, the latter of which always seem to hit at precisely the same angle. This tells me the broadhead is planing the arrow a bit 

Specs on bow . And what arrow are you shooting. I've personally never had a problem with montecs until I got over 305fps even then the only issue is the whistling noise my chill r shoots 314fps with no issues with them. But my halon 5 didnt like them at all that's shooting 320fps and there was a 1 inch differance between bh and field tip

Edited by silent death

17 minutes ago, silent death said:

Specs on bow . And what arrow are you shooting. I've personally never had a problem with montecs until I got over 305fps even then the only issue is the whistling noise my chill r shoots 314fps with no issues with them. But my halon 5 didnt like them at all that's shooting 320fps and there was a 1 inch differance between bh and field tip

It's shooting around 245 fps or so, chronographed. Those cheapy decimator arrows from field/stream. I can hear a whoosh as the montec flies, but no whistle. I'm getting it to hit pretty consistently out at 30-40 yards, but the angle is still slightly off--though certainly better than it was last week. Last week the montecs were wiggling like mad in the air and POI was good but really canted on the target.

23 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

just went from spitfires to muzzy ones - no alignment of feathers just popped em on and shot - didn't need any adjustments at 20 or 25 yards. Used to have problems with fixed blades but these seem to work for me.

Montecs can be a pain depending on the bow setup

1 hour ago, Core said:

I would ditch the montecs anyways.  Never had good blood trails with them.

1 hour ago, silent death said:

What weight arrow are you shooting to exceed the speed of sound?  320fps for a hunting arrow is crazy fast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bow is a halon 32 5 with 75 rock mods 29/70 maxed out to 72 pounds shooting a beman ics 340 cut to 28 inches for good foc the bow has a 350  ibo speed add the 75 rock mods and u gain another 7 to 8ft per second total arrow weight is 418gr with 93# of  kinetic energy

Edited by silent death

I had always used muzzy 3 blades... last year I tried Rage extreme 4 blades and good lord do those things do damage.  I'm not sure how they shoot at long range... but for the shots I take they are devastating. 

I got montec G5s as a gift for christmas but if @moog5050 doesn't like them... I cant with a clear conscience put one through a deer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have more than I care to admit, probably over 10 brands but I still stick with the Rage because they always hit where the field tips hit.  I also have 4 packs of fixed blades if anyone on LI is interested, won them at the police charity at Suffolk Archers.  

Rage Chisel 2-Blade Mechanical Broadheads - 100 GR, 3 Pack 1

1 hour ago, silent death said:

Bow is a halon 32 5 with 75 rock mods 29/70 maxed out to 72 pounds shooting a beman ics 340 cut to 28 inches for good foc the bow has a 350  ibo speed add the 75 rock mods and u gain another 7 to 8ft per second total arrow weight is 418gr with 93# of  kinetic energy

So realistically ,you're shooting about 280 maybe?

Lmao u guys know nothing about bows do u my chill r shoots at 314 my halon 5 shoots 320 u dont believe me call Jimmy depart he sets my bows up I have my own chrono graph and if u really think a bow with a ibo of 350 shoots that slow u are nuts .Google the arrow speed calculator and check yourself. Go spew garbage elsewhere . U people that bored with your lives u gotta be a troll

Edited by silent death

No he sets my bows up when I buy them go troll elsewhere kid .. a bow with a 350 ibo isnt gonna shoot 280 what world u living in. Go check the arrow calculator for your self i cut my own arrows have my own chrono do u I doubt it . 

Edited by silent death

Going with 100grain rocky mt warhead mechanical.   Have the same chisel tip as the rage but open like the schwackers. Also owned by same company as rage and muzzy.   Guy at work uses them and swears by them.  But they fly just like my field points.   So far i like how they shoot only one way to tell how they cut.  Just need a deer and not choke this year like i did last year.

20190920_172146.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, silent death said:

No he sets my bows up when I buy them go troll elsewhere kid .. a bow with a 350 ibo isnt gonna shoot 280 what world u living in. Go check the arrow calculator for your self i cut my own arrows have my own chrono do u I doubt it 

Go research IBO ratings and then we can talk ,it has become blatantly obvious that you don't know. 

• Haha 1

U really are u stupid when is the last time u bought a speed bow I'll wait ibo is done buy a 30 inch draw with a 350gr arrow 5grpi . My bow has 75 rock mods set at 72 pounds with a 29 inch draw ...with a 350ibo run the numbers bud I'll wait... I have my own chrono call any bow shop and ask what speeds the halon 32 5 shoots with a 400 gr arrow with 75 rock mods at 29 inch draw

Edited by silent death

10 minutes ago, silent death said:

U really are u stupid when is the last time u bought a speed bow I'll wait ibo is done buy a 30 inch draw with a 350gr arrow 5grpi . My bow has 75 rock mods set at 72 pounds with a 29 inch draw ...with a 350ibo run the numbers bud I'll wait... I have my own chrono call any bow shop and ask what speeds the halon 32 5 shoots with a 400 gr arrow with 75 rock mods at 29 inch draw

Your bow shoots 305 ,it's already been figured out bud.