Shaking / buck fever..

G-Man

How many still experience this when hunting? I haven't felt it or shaken in years, probably why I dont really care about shooting anything myself, it's simply harvesting meat.  

Anyone ever lost "it" and got it back?   Closest I come is seeing someone else take game I've hung stands for and placed them in to see if they can close the deal..  

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

How many still experience this when hunting? I haven't felt it or shaken in years, probably why I dont really care about shooting anything myself, it's simply harvesting meat.  

Anyone ever lost "it" and got it back?   Closest I come is seeing someone else take game I've hung stands for and placed them in to see if they can close the deal..  

Never lost it. Still get a little weak-kneed on a close bow-doe, let alone a buck. Love the feeling!

• Like 2

First year hunting, I would have an adrenaline dump after the shot and sometimes before (never where it affected my shots but it was there).  After that, it was limited to after the shot and even that seems to be pretty much going way which kind of stinks.   Still happy to see deer and nice bucks but its not the same as it was only a few years ago.  Perhaps a booner would reignite that adrenaline!  Hope I find out one day.  Its part of the fun of hunting.

I still get a rush of adrenaline when I see ANY deer while hunting. Hope I never lose that. If I do, it's time to stop hunting.

As far as "Buck Fever" I haven't had that in a looong time now, while lining up a shot. After the shot is when I get the shakes though. But do admit to more than one buck living longer, due to my own ineptitude.

Last year my grandson missed/didn't take an opportunity at a nice mature buck, because of 'buck fever'. But honestly, I think I was shaking, and breathing harder than he was.

• Like 5

Any deer I see, especially the first of the year, gets my heart pounding hardcore. I've never missed because of buck fever or shakes, but at times it feels like my heart is going through my skin. Like Grampy, if i lose that adrenaline, i'll stop hunting.

• Like 5

I find it amazing how my senses immediately sharpen and focus when a deer comes into my hunting zone.  The blood is pumping a little faster, but I haven't felt any adrenaline dump or "buck fever" yet.  Maybe that's because my limited kills were all on fast moving deer that came to a sharp stop?  I didn't have time to think about anything except lining up a good shot.  Then again, I haven't had a close encounter with a buck that made me mutter, "Holy F#$&!".  

• Like 1

I saw two does  while clearing some lanes for my climber a few weeks ago. They came to within 15 yds and my heart was pounding. I have not seen deer that close for 11 months.. I still get excited but try to stay calm for the shot. Afterwards is a different story...I hope to experience that several times this year.

Edited by BowmanMike

1 hour ago, grampy said:

I still get a rush of adrenaline when I see ANY deer while hunting. Hope I never lose that. If I do, it's time to stop hunting.

As far as "Buck Fever" I haven't had that in a looong time now, while lining up a shot. After the shot is when I get the shakes though. But do admit to more than one buck living longer, due to my own ineptitude.

Last year my grandson missed/didn't take an opportunity at a nice mature buck, because of 'buck fever'. But honestly, I think I was shaking, and breathing harder than he was.

I don't get the rush anymore, and that's what I hear it's time to stop hunting....

20 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

as the season goes the more deer i see or have in range, the calmer i get .  So maybe you guys that dont have it anymore just have too many deer!  

Kinda like Hef at the mansion...... eh another blonde.......lol 

So what your saying is , we are chasing tail both ways .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, G-Man said:

I don't get the rush anymore, and that's what I hear it's time to stop hunting....

I can only speak for myself. We are all different G-Man. I know from your posts, that you are still passionate about your deer hunting adventures and land management. I think we will all know when our own time comes to hang up our hunting hat.

I feel very fortunate to be sitting in the deer woods after 46 seasons, and still have my heart skip a beat, when even a doe fawn just appears. And my brain shouts.....DEER!!!  

It's what keeps me looking forward to next season, as I make my way out on the last day of this season. Even if I didn't kill a deer. It's part of who I am..........

Getting older, and looking at hunting through the eyes of a younger hunter you are mentoring, is another way to keep the experience fresh and flowing. Some of my best "kills" were made by someone else.........

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

I can only speak for myself. We are all different G-Man. I know from your posts, that you are still passionate about your deer hunting adventures and land management. I think we will all know when our own time comes to hang up our hunting hat.

I feel very fortunate to be sitting in the deer woods after 46 seasons, and still have my heart skip a beat, when even a doe fawn just appears. And my brain shouts.....DEER!!!  

It's what keeps me looking forward to next season, as I make my way out on the last day of this season. Even if I didn't kill a deer. It's part of who I am..........

Getting older, and looking at hunting through the eyes of a younger hunter you are mentoring, is another way to keep the experience fresh and flowing. Some of my best "kills" were made by someone else.........

Agreed, I remember my wife’s first archery / gun kills just as vividly as my own. Hoping my oldest can connect this year..

• Like 2

Still get the rush.  Buck fever not really i can get the shakes during bow season if a bucks coming in.  Not really on does.  That little bit of rush is what does it for me.  Maybe its because i havent taken alot of deer or many big deer.  But that rush is what i live for.  

On a side note most buck fever i have gotten in a long time was actually last year when me and my nephew had a spike come in thinking he could get a shot off on his first deer.  Didnt happen becausr he was shaking so much his arrow was rattling.

• Like 3

My heart quickens then once the shot hits right in the bread box and you hear that telltale thunk and see the deer go down that's when I get my biggest rush! If that rush ever goes away the slightest bit I will hang my bow and find a new hobby that brings me the same excitement

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, grampy said:

That last sentence is so true. Had a kid up here for 4 years. Got his first deer on his first day of bowhunting at 14. It gave me a charge and was my best kill! Well said Grampy!!

• Thanks 1

Buck , Doe, Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, it all gets me pumped up. If I stop getting that feeling I’ll stop getting up at 4am to dress in multiple layers . 
Sometimes more than just bucks, does, ducks, geese, and turkeys eh?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

maybe its just there isnt that challenge anymore on the home whitetail range  - would maybe a western Elk hunt get that feeling back?   

I've killed elk , idk, if I see it I can. Usually kill it perhaps the challenge is what is missing.. when do you think they will make spears legal?

• Haha 1

I get it the longer I have to wait for a deer to either come into range or into a shooting lane. It seems the longer I wait the longer the adrenaline pumps. A few deer over the past few years have gotten a pass because of it.

Recently, I developed Afib ( while not necessarily life threatening, it's very uncomfortable and scares the shit out of me ) , and though I am doing better, when my adrenaline get flowing fast I start shaking really bad. It's going to be a rough deer season for me. It all comes down to that first deer coming in while actually out deer hunting to see how my body reacts.