Injured Bird of Prey

BizCT

Was mowing the lawn tonight and saw some cars pull over. This bird was in bad shape. Couldn’t fly. I didn’t see blood. 2 ladies put it in a box and took it Vet. We called like 15 different people thru DEc website and police and nobody wanted to come get it.

Anyway, what kind of bird? I think juvenile cooper’s hawk?

41252f28443fa68f6055d9ef7afe3ae5.jpg

f3a2f65768764f27799c7a37e72a8e1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 3

I don't understand why no one you called did not step up and help.  Curmudgeon- if you see this Thread-- what can be done?

I was gonna keep it and teach it to hunt whitetail bucks, but it couldn’t fly

• Like 1

I say it's a juvenile Awesome! I love birds of prey. They're super cool and I do not particularly like any birds, but raptors are super cool. Oh and some ducks too

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dude your going to give that old man a heart attack

19 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I was gonna keep it and teach it to hunt whitetail bucks, but it couldn’t fly

He might be able to point though? 

I rescued a young coopers hawk a couple of years ago from the side of the road in Schoharie. Never did hear back from the vet on how he made out.20170802_164743.thumb.jpg.dc271122e52108aa583f56de30f89f21.jpg

• Like 3

Definitely a cool looking bird. He looks fine in the second picture.

Nah it was bad. I got video of it flapping around in circles. Hard to watch

He might be able to point though? 
I rescued a young coopers hawk a couple of years ago from the side of the road in Schoharie. Never did hear back from the vet on how he made out.20170802_164743.thumb.jpg.dc271122e52108aa583f56de30f89f21.jpg

Did you name it Frightful? I’m betting you know the book reference:

• Like 1

It is a Cooper's or a sharp shin....They are very similar in appearance, the main difference being the size..A sharpie is about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a Cooper's... To further add to the confusion, the females are noticeably bigger than the males..A female sharpie can be nearly as large as a male Cooper's...

Was mowing the lawn tonight and saw some cars pull over. This bird was in bad shape. Couldn’t fly. I didn’t see blood. 2 ladies put it in a box and took it Vet. We called like 15 different people thru DEc website and police and nobody wanted to come get it.

Anyway, what kind of bird? I think juvenile cooper’s hawk?

41252f28443fa68f6055d9ef7afe3ae5.jpg&key=feb98dc43d49dbd62d18c2c1a24e7c96c4489ffbe326ece3b1d9aaf2775c4431

f3a2f65768764f27799c7a37e72a8e1f.jpg&key=f0cfd95b35ff57a9a4de87f91bf995c7f332e1e8bb51aa5d8c025626ad6a33be

Just saw this post. I think that Green Chimneys in Patterson has an injured bird of prey recovery program. Obviously too late now, but they might be able to help in the future if you run into the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just saw this post. I think that Green Chimneys in Patterson has an injured bird of prey recovery program. Obviously too late now, but they might be able to help in the future if you run into the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I actually called them, no answer.

I saw an episode of North Woods Law where a bird like that was acting odd. The bird was actually stunned, and ended up being ok.  I think that bird on the episode fell from a nest if I remember correctly.  Making this bird bumped a windshield, or something....

edit: nevermind, Biz....just saw that video on your story.  Shame

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1