blackbeltbill

For The Over 40s-- Easiest Learned + Most Effective Grappling,Striking, + Evasion Moves-- by Bill S.--38 Years-2nd Dan.

Morning fellow members + Guests. I have been thinking of writing this important Thread for the over 40s for awhile now. I am currently in my 38th year of Martial Arts and taught for my own Instructor for over 10 years. So in a nutshell- the most important thing for over 40s who have limited time to train is to practice the easiest Learned moves that are most effective. And in a Self Defence situation-- you need to apply those Grappling,Striking, + Evasion Moves-- against an Attacker who is Half your Age or even a third of it.  Think of some of those moves this way. What are the moves that are illegal in MMA Bouts today. That is much of your starting point in a Deadly self defense situation against an opponent who could be Half or even a third of your age. If you are wondering my age-- I will be 60 on September 15th. Now before anything goes to the Ground- there is a Hard Clinch.From the moment, I stepped through that door in March of 1982- my instructor drilled me in Standing Jujitsu and self defense in the Clinch. If you know what you are doing,- the situation you are in may not end up on the ground. Ok--many of these moves should never be used unless your Life is on the Line. I will just cover one. The Bulldog Choke, I learned In my 1st week of training back in 1982. And, I could teach it to you in 2 minutes. I favor it over the more difficult to learn Rear-naked choke.  Now a common situation is when an Attacker has you pinned up against a Car or a Wall. You could try to punch your way off without much leverage  to your benefit . A much better way in this situation for both Men + Women is a Palmheel Upward Strike up under the Jaw.And this works very well when the opponent is Taller then you. But you need to Focus Though--- don't just bounce off the surface. For a woman this is her chance to get away after her Strike. A quick knockout is possible though for both Men + Women. I could cover so much more here today. Any martial arts videos that, I upload is with over 40s in mind. And, I have uploaded a few already. Go back and check them out. Hope this Thread helps out the over 40s out there. Stay Safe and try to stay aware of your surroundings at all times to minimize any attacks from behind. 

Valuable stuff Bill.  Isn't there a Martial Arts/Self Defense forum that would really appreciate these tips?

• Like 1

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Hey Bill, what's with the "T" in your avatar?

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

37 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Valuable stuff Bill.  Isn't there a Martial Arts/Self Defense forum that would really appreciate these tips?

Lol - guest speaker at the Academy just in case someone attacks during archery practice.  

Edited by moog5050

I have respect for some one that trains in the martial arts. But to be 100% honest, I would rather conceal carry to protect mine and my loved ones life. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

I trained for many years with an old school real martial artist. We did not have belts nor fancy promotions.  He was 78 and I would put money on him against 3-4 muggers. Point being though a conceal carrry sounds good, an attacker getting the jump on you is a very real possibility. An excellent well honed anticipatory defense move would go further than a gun hidden precious moments away.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I have respect for some one that trains in the martial arts. But to be 100% honest, I would rather conceal carry to protect mine and my loved ones life. 

As someone who trains in Brazilian Jiu jitsu 5 times a week with some serious killers (and UFC fighters), I too would rather have a concealed carry than test my knowledge on the street. It takes a lot of what ifs out of the situation

13 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I trained for many years with an old school real martial artist. We did not have belts nor fancy promotions.  He was 78 and I would put money on him against 3-4 muggers. Point being though a conceal carrry sounds good, an attacker getting the jump on you is a very real possibility. An excellent well honed anticipatory defense move would go further than a gun hidden precious moments away.  

Agreed , but one should be aware of their surroundings and not let some one get the jump on you. Situational awareness goes a long ways. 

16 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Very good reply and Thanks! I myself am only a 2nd Dan Black Belt after more then 38 years of training. I did not want to go into graphics on the Net when writing about what is illegal in MMA today. I left that for the reader to research on his or her own. Of course that would be used in a dire self defence situation only.   

• Like 1

Before this Thread dies out- I want to upload a Scene from a movie everybody and his Brother has seen.It will illustrate what you may have to do if attacked by 1 or 2 people. It helps also that my style is very similar to that of John Saxon. First note that if you end up Flat on your Back and Grappling with Attacker #1-- #2 Attacker will start kicking you. Probably in the head. You will need to Bite to get back to your feet. And the very last Kick that John Saxon throws is the all Important Kick to the Balls. Sure everyone knows about that-- but if you do not Practice it-- you will not use it. Hopefully this Thread will help some over 40s to seek out some Self Defence instruction from a good Teacher in your area. Here comes the video next. Loud in this Lunchroom today..