Archery season is 35 days away where are you taking your deer to be processed

Hitching post meats

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Since day 1, I have butchered my own.  It was nice to have a buddy whose family owned a meat market teach me on that first deer.  I will admit, there are times I would like to just drop it off to a processor but I also like knowing exactly how my deer was processed.

Im with you on that. It gets a bit much sometimes, but like you said knowing how your deer was handled means a lot 

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Since day 1, I have butchered my own.  It was nice to have a buddy whose family owned a meat market teach me on that first deer.  I will admit, there are times I would like to just drop it off to a processor but I also like knowing exactly how my deer was processed.

I try to do all of mine. Sometimes I get in a jam with my travel schedule and warm weather and will drop one off 

I am a firm believer that a hunter should butcher the animals they kill themselves.  I am amazed how many hunters out there have hunted for years and yet never butchered one themselves.  Many don't even know how.  Makes no sense to me.  You don't need a garage or a basement to process one either.  Quarter it hanging from any tree at your hunting spot or anywhere else or even while on the ground and then you can do the rest on your kitchen table.  Takes a bit of time, but so what?  At least you are doing it all from "Field to Fork" which is the way it should be.  

• Like 2

I enjoy processing my own deer. Only ever had one of the 60+ processed and only because it was HOT outside and I killed two that day. The whole hunt feels like it comes full circle at the end, somehow me not finishing what I started feels off to me. It's also a good anatomy lesson of sorts. I know people who have it in their heads that you need all sorts of equipment to process deer, not true. Freezer bags and a good fillet knife is all you really need (beer also helps). Not to mention I average 3-4 deer per year and I'd spend hundreds of dollars for someone else to do it, I'd rather put that money into more gear.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have a Kitchen Aid, I'm curious to see how that works out for you. This year I'm finally pulling the trigger on a cube steak maker thingamajig. Anybody have one they recommend?
Oh and I have the all steel one. Not the cheap plastic one. Steel is important

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I enjoy processing my own deer. Only ever had one of the 60+ processed and only because it was HOT outside and I killed two that day. The whole hunt feels like it comes full circle at the end, somehow me not finishing what I started feels off to me. It's also a good anatomy lesson of sorts. I know people who have it in their heads that you need all sorts of equipment to process deer, not true. Freezer bags and a good fillet knife is all you really need (beer also helps). Not to mention I average 3-4 deer per year and I'd spend hundreds of dollars for someone else to do it, I'd rather put that money into more gear.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I try to hold out for Monday night. I put a TV out in the garage and put football on. One neighbor on trimming, another on the vacuum sealer, kids labeling. Beers flowing (obvi)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Now that I have a meat grinder attachment for my KitchenAid I will definitely be needing some delicious sausage recipes! Hopefully I can slay some deer to make said delicious sausages

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have a Kitchen Aid, I'm curious to see how that works out for you. This year I'm finally pulling the trigger on a cube steak maker thingamajig. Anybody have one they recommend?

i have one that i use - bought the grinder and sausage maker attachment for it- works great !   Done a lot of deer with it

last season i took my last - 3rd deer to a processor.  But i do almost all of them myself.  Wanted to try out a local processor and the whole deer went to the GF and family.  They did a good job - Marsh Mill in bridgeport - outside of syracuse.  Ed - is a real nice guy - thanks for the tip from Fletch to go there.  I was lazy on the last one and just didnt want to cut another one up.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Thanks crappy!

this is a great place to get seasonings for sausage.  I buy the casings at the local price chopper and then do a 60/40 venison to ground pork and just add seasonings.  I buy some from a local Amish place but also can get them here at Waltons.  

I am planning on making maple breakfast and cracked pepper/Jalapeno brats this year cause i already have seasonings.  (also gonna try to make some with Maple blueberry like Constanzas ( was gonna send some there but might try making it first, i like to make my own) and am eyeing making rueben or cajun ones if i get 3 deer again.  They have the rueben and cajun seasoning here at Waltons.  ( read the tips and reviews as they offer some good ideas and tips as well)  https://www.waltonsinc.com/seasonings/sausage-seasonings

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

this is a great place to get seasonings for sausage.  I buy the casings at the local price chopper and then do a 60/40 venison to pork and just add seasonings.  I buy some from a local Amish place but also can get them here at Waltons.  
I am planning on making maple breakfast and cracked pepper/Jalapeno brats this year cause i already have seasonings.  (also gonna try to make some with Maple blueberry like Constanzas ( was gonna send some there but might try making it first, i like to make my own) and am eyeing making rueben or cajun ones if i get 3 deer again.  They have the rueben and cajun seasoning here at Waltons.  ( read the tips and reviews as they offer some good ideas and tips as well)  https://www.waltonsinc.com/seasonings/sausage-seasonings
Just bookmarked it thanks!

• Like 1