Where are the fawns ?

catskillkid

I've have not seen a fawn in my area of Delaware County since late June. There were 20 does in a field at dusk near me on Saturday evening and not one of them had a fawn with them. I guess the yotees and bears are well fed this summer. Any other thoughts about their where abouts ?

• Like 1

We also have a doe with triplets. A lot of fawns on the property, many seem to be very small and heavily spotted still. Maybe a lot of does were bred late last fall? I don't know, it just seems late for tiny fawns to be running around.

MFDC0621.jpg

• Like 3

I'm also in Delaware County and the fawns suddenly seem to be very few.  So are the turkey.  The coyotes, on the other hand, are plentiful.  Seems to me there is a direct correlation there.  Deer numbers in this area are down from prior years too.  I think we are going to need to start killing more coyotes in this county.  I shoot everyone I can when the season is open.  I don't buy the BS they don't impact the deer population, or they only do what's natural.  The yotes here are big.  They're yote/wolf hybrids and many go 60 pounds.  When they gather in packs, they can run down the biggest, healthiest deer.  I know because I find the carcasses surrounded buy hundreds of yote tracks on my land every winter.  I also hear the packs running the hills almost every night.  When they get to be heavily populated in a given area, they are a problem that needs to be managed with high velocity lead therapy.

• Like 3

Not many fawn in my area this year.  Haven't seen or heard much of turkey since the spring either.  Last trail cam check shows about as many coyote pics as deer.  This is the worst I have seen them here.  They look to be very well fed too.

WGI_0020.JPG

• Like 3

I'm also in Delaware County and the fawns suddenly seem to be very few.  So are the turkey.  The coyotes, on the other hand, are plentiful.  Seems to me there is a direct correlation there.  Deer numbers in this area are down from prior years too.  I think we are going to need to start killing more coyotes in this county.  I shoot everyone I can when the season is open.  I don't buy the BS they don't impact the deer population, or they only do what's natural.  The yotes here are big.  They're yote/wolf hybrids and many go 60 pounds.  When they gather in packs, they can run down the biggest, healthiest deer.  I know because I find the carcasses surrounded buy hundreds of yote tracks on my land every winter.  I also hear the packs running the hills almost every night.  When they get to be heavily populated in a given area, they are a problem that needs to be managed with high velocity lead therapy.
I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the 60lb coyotes you kill.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Here in 8H  have only seen a couple of fawns and that was in the late spring. Have not seen any all summer. I have to get a cam or two in the woods because that is where are likely to be this time of year

Edited by Steve D

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the 60lb coyotes you kill.

Some interesting facts for you.  These are AVERAGE weights for yotes around here:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2017/02/upstate_ny_coyote_hunting_contest_results_in_85_taken_--_a_new_record.html

https://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/coyote/coyote.htm

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9359.html

FYI:

The largest coyote ever on record killed near Afton, Wyoming measured a staggering 5 ft 3 in from nose to tail, and weighed 75 lb.

How big are coyotes in New York?
On average, adult coyotes are between 4 and 5 feet long, and weigh between 35 and 45 pounds.

Do you think these yotes get that big eating small rodents?
Edited by Rattler

Thanks for replies everyone. I does seem that the Catskills has a serious problem with coyotes. I hear a couple of packs, sometimes 3 packs yipping from different directions every evening.  I've seen a sow bear with a couple of cubs and a lone boar walking my land this spring also. Hopefully we can get this under control this year.

There is also lots of bobcat sign around, will they take down a fawn ? I see a couple every year along with fishers.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 1

Here are some results from some of the "local" contest winners.

2019 Heaviest Coyote47.88 lbs

2007 Heaviest Coyote = 46 lbs

2008 47.8 = pounds heaviest coyote

2009 48.4 pounds  = heaviest coyote

2010 50.8 pounds = Heaviest Coyote

2011 44.6 pounds = Heaviest Coyote

2012 45.6 pounds = Heaviest Coyote

2013 53.6 pounds = Heaviest Coyote

2014 48.2 pounds = Heaviest Coyote

2015 50 pounds = Heaviest Coyote

2016 49.4 pounds = Heaviest Coyote

2017 49.8 pounds = Heaviest Coyote

Then you have this slob that was shot in 2008 and weighed in @ 61 LBS.

big coyote.jpg

• Like 4