blackbeltbill

How Many Years Have You Been Hunting And What Year Is Coming Up??

I myself started to Hunt in 1974 at age 14. I followed my Father around in the Pheasant Fields from around age 7 or 8 before that. So, I have 45 Years of Hunting under my Belt and #46 starts on October 1st No Turkeys in my area back in 1974. I started on them much later in 1990. For me it was Woodcock and Pheasant. Every Saturday + Sunday in the Fall + Winter, my Father got me out when, I was a kid. Great Dogs and tons of Pheasants taken. So-- How many Hunting Years do you have under your belt?

• Like 2

In my 23rd year.

• Like 1

"Stand Your Ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Captain John Parker, Lexington 1775

Depends on how you look at it. I was "hunting" with my grandfather when I was about 4 or 5, but that was really just sitting with him while he hunted. Ive had a license since 09 though so this is my 11th year hunting on my own license. Its been mostly deer and turkey hunting with a little duck hunting the last couple years

• Like 1

October 2020 will be 50 years with a hunting license.  Nothing else in my life has held my interest that long.

• Like 7

I started late as we had no hunters in our immediate family. Our family were campers and fishermen. This will mark 32 years of deer hunting for me.

• Like 4

Technically... my Dad first took me Deer hunting in NJ..... Clinton road to be exact around 1975-76? I was just 6 yo.  lol  I didn't hunt for Real until I was in High School... 1985-86... so about 33 years.

• Like 3

Started when I was 12. This will be 50 years for me. Started with squirrels and rabbits.

Got my first big game license at 16. This year will be 46 years of chasing deer, with a gun. 42 years with a bow.

I've seen many changes in that time. Trial and error, has taught me many lessons. The deer themselves, have taught me many more. I'm still learning. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 6

First Gun Opening Day for me was 1996 (I was 12 and would watch my dad). I've never missed one, so this November 16th will be my 23rd in a row.

Fun Fact: the first 21 years i hunted with Dad. Last year i hunted with @sodfather and @The_Real_TCIII . Crazy how a forum can connect people from across the state.

For my Dad, 1965 was his first opening day with a gun. He has never missed one, so 54th straight for him on November 16th.

• Like 8

This will be my 5th. I was well into adulthood when i started, never having known any hunter in my family. Just decided it would be a good, manly activity, and it has been. Started as a bow hunter and that'st he main interest. I've learned everything through trial and error or online forums. No mentor or anybody showing me the ropes. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

First Gun Opening Day for me was 1996 (I was 12 and would watch my dad). I've never missed one, so this November 16th will be my 23rd in a row.

Fun Fact: the first 21 years i hunted with Dad. Last year i hunted with @sodfather and @The_Real_TCIII . Crazy how a forum can connect people from across the state.

For my Dad, 1965 was his first opening day with a gun. He has never missed one, so 54th straight for him on November 16th.

that was a GTG by the way

• Like 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

I think this will be my 25th, do I get a Rolex or something?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

44 years. I've seen many changes, and will no doubt see many more before I am to old or feeble to head into the woods for good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

A box of Rice-A-Roni is on it's way to you!  :)

• Like 2

Just now, steve863 said:

A box of Rice-A-Roni is on it's way to you!  :)

I'll take it!! My phone tells time

-Mitch Hedberg

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Oh... you'll get 'something' this year Tacks!

• Like 1

Got my first hunting license in 1963, so that makes it about 55 years officially..

However  my Dad owned  180 acres in a very rural area, and he let me hunt around the farm  with hi single shot Stevens .22  a few years prior to that, so by the time I actually got a license, I already had  a few rabbits, squirrels ,woodchucks and other critters under my belt.. I also shot my first crow and my first grouse with that .22...

I shot my first turkey in the fall of 1965, but did not get into hunting them seriously until after I got out of the service in the spring of 1973... I have been avidly pursuing them ever since..

• Like 3

I was introduced to hunting at an early age, my Dad took me Squirrel and Rabbit hunting starting as soon as I could walk fast enough to keep up. I remember having to get up on his shoulders to get carried across streams various times. I would get to take an easy shot from time to time which kept me stoked and carried me over up to the time to get my first license at 14 years of age. Will be 71 yrs old this season so I guess this Fall will make 57 official years of hunting and still learning new things all the time.:)

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Squills and hasenpfeffer at age 15 so 35 years ago. Trapped for so many years before I started deer hunting. Trapping actually taught me a lot about deer sign as often in the deep , nasty thick areas setting traps and covering a lot of ground on foot. Started deer hunting probably only 2O ish  years ago. Turkey hunting around the same time. Learned most of what I know by myself.  

• Like 1

Well me and my buddies were killing squirrels  with our BB guns and sling shots when we were 8, but my first official hunting license was when I was 12. So officially it has been going on 37 years. 

Started bow hunting when I was 14 , I guess this would be my 28th year of bowhunting . Didn't start with a gun until around 25 .

• Like 1

I just purchased my 41st hunting license. Been bowhunting and gun hunting since the age of 12. I am as excited for opening day this year as I was when I was a kid in the hills of southwest Pa.

• Like 1

I’ve got all my back tags wedged in holder that I still use.  It’s getting a little thick   

• Like 2