Shopping for a woodstove

JimR

I am now in the market for a woodstove to use at the new camp. I had an inspector come out and he confirmed my suspicion that the old Heatilator fireplace unit is rusted beyond repair. We agreed that a freestanding woodstove would be the best option. I have approximately 700 sq. ft. to heat, configured in an L shape with the kitchen and living room  open to each other, two bedrooms and a bath off the kitchen. The cabin has a mix of old single pane windows and newer thermopane, R13 fiberglass batt insulation in the walls, and unknown ceiling insulation. Relatively low overheads, with a shed style sloping roofline (no cathedral ceilings or lofts). The floor under the old fireplace is concrete slab. I do plan to have the new stove professionally installed. So... keeping budget in mind (lets say 1K max. for the stove itself ) what do you have that you love, or conversely what would you stay away from ? Attached is a photo of the existing fireplace during tear out of the old rotten flooring.

fireplace.jpg

I'd be looking for an old Fisher Papa Bear or Grandpa Bear. Not made anymore but you can find them for sale online. We had one in our house when I was a kid. Heated the whole house with it. In fact my parents still have it in their garage, not used for over 20 years...might be willing to part with it...

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

^^^^^^^^^^

I have the same one G-Man recommended great stove.I picked up a floor model for $500 even.Get ready to sleep with the window open.:heat:

IMG_0543.JPG

Ditto! The heat blows you out of there...simple to clean out too

0F5BA42B-338B-447B-827C-59F8FBA42FED.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2

I have a Lopi 1250 wood stove at the cabin. Does a nice job. 10 years ago it was $2300 installed. Thought it was a good price then. D&B in Howard installed it. I also has cathedrial ceilings so a lot of heat is lost. We have ceiling fans to blow the heat down. 

IMG_0782.JPG

• Like 2

Most wood stoves will do the trick for that size space. Any name brands that aren't cracked or warped or just plain beat up. If you have access to wood, and don't mind the process, do it. If not, don't rule out a pellet stove. Fairly cheap for pellets and very consistent heat.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Wood stoves need a class A chimney - the fireplace  did not have that and should not be used even with a liner.

So you are going to need a chimney system as well. Least expensive is to go straight up thru the roof - closer to the peak the better. I would go with a new/newer stove that is epa listed to the current emission standards. Efficient clean burning (safer) and most have built in reduced clearances to combustibles - means they have a smaller footprint safely.