Any adventurous members sneaking out of NY on an ELK hunt this year?

607 HUNTER

I will be heading to Vail, Colorado during 2nd Rifle this October on a DIY public land hunt. It will be my first out of state hunt, I have an Elk, Muley and Bear tag. I have been training all summer , I am equipped with 300 WSM with 185 GR. ammo, Kuiu pack and Leupold optics. My plan is to use onXmaps, and I printed out hardcopies also. I have done my scouting via google earth and some online videos, I am sure it will be much different in person but it will be a start when I get there ( I am arriving 2 days early to scout and get acclimated to the altitude) . Any suggestions/ recommendations feel free to post !

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, 607 HUNTER said:

I will be heading to Vail, Colorado during 2nd Rifle this October on a DIY public land hunt. It will be my first out of state hunt, I have an Elk, Muley and Bear tag. I have been training all summer , I am equipped with 300 WSM with 185 GR. ammo, Kuiu pack and Leupold optics. My plan is to use onXmaps, and I printed out hardcopies also. I have done my scouting via google earth and some online videos, I am sure it will be much different in person but it will be a start when I get there ( I am arriving 2 days early to scout and get acclimated to the altitude) . Any suggestions/ recommendations feel free to post !

Sounds awesome! I've been on many out of state hunts, but none since mule deer/antelope in WY 2014. Are you staying in a tent or local motel? Do you have a game processing/butcher in mind? Taxidermist? etc....

If you havent already, check out bowsite. Tons of valuable info there and people willing to help.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 607 HUNTER said:

Any suggestions/ recommendations feel free to post !

The only possible suggestion I could  make is ENJOY YOURSELF and keep us posted on the trip.  Hope you have plans to get one out if you fill a tag or tags. :locomotive:

• Like 1

your plan sounds solid. after listening to numerous hours of meateater podcasts, one thing they recommend is a pack out plan. Not a solo activity and there are services for hire. A sat phone would be good too especially if solo.

i'd recommend you look up the meateater podcasts, there are a few on elk hunting and calling, but some real good ones where they go through their packs. there are some things us whitetail hunters would never think of and they make a ton of sense. 

good luck, it's a dream of mine some day

Edited by Belo

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

The only possible suggestion I could  make is ENJOY YOURSELF and keep us posted on the trip.  Hope you have plans to get one out if you fill a tag or tags. :locomotive:

second this. enjoy the experience and have that be your gauge, not if you punch a tag. You'll be in amazing country that very few venture in to enjoy.

you know the biggest thing that has kept me from doing a west DIY trip..... the drive.  16+ hours each way via the outskirts of chicago etc........  Can fly out and ship meat back but wow - priced that out and it might be cheaper to buy another seat on the plane and have the elk ride with me. 

Good luck - keep us posted so we can live it out thru you at least! Sounds like youve done some homework.  Would also suggest contacting local game wardens for tips in the area.  A lot of those guys are really helpful - something i planned to do if i ever go on a trip 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

you know the biggest thing that has kept me from doing a west DIY trip..... the drive.  16+ hours each way via the outskirts of chicago etc........  Can fly out and ship meat back but wow - priced that out and it might be cheaper to buy another seat on the plane and have the elk ride with me. 
Good luck - keep us posted so we can live it out thru you at least! Sounds like youve done some homework.  Would also suggest contacting local game wardens for tips in the area.  A lot of those guys are really helpful - something i planned to do if i ever go on a trip 

Sometimes it works out cheaper to have your trophy mounted out west and then sent back once finished. No guarantee everything gets back safe. My first trip to Wyoming in 2012, I was bringing 100lbs of meet back, 2 50lb boxes with dry ice. They got lost and didn’t get to me for a week. It was all garbage. Luckily the hides were separate and didn’t get lost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sometimes it works out cheaper to have your trophy mounted out west and then sent back once finished. No guarantee everything gets back safe. My first trip to Wyoming in 2012, I was bringing 100lbs of meet back, 2 50lb boxes with dry ice. They got lost and didn’t get to me for a week. It was all garbage. Luckily the hides were separate and didn’t get lost

I even looked into just going for a cow elk. Just for the experience but really want to have the meat come back. If I drive obv can keep it with me. But it was like $500 to ship back 200+ pounds of meat. And I would fear what happened to you. 

That must've been real disappointing. I would want to share it with family and friends, one of the big reasons to go.  

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Fly out and rent a car for the drive home if you're successful.

Elk hunt sounds amazing. I wish it was better/more tags in PA. It's definitely something I want to do, even more than moose actually. I've a coworker that has gone a few times to Colorado and got one a year or two back after a couple of failed hunts--although those were with a bow.

No elk tag this year for me.  The last time that happened was about about 20 years.  Didn't draw the Montana elk/deer combo, the last time that happened was about 10 years ago when they still had outfitter pool.   My backup on the years I didn't draw Montana  was Idaho.  The tag i used to get in Idaho was sold out 10 months ago.  when May came around and I was tagless from not drawing any tags out west, I used 5 Wy deer points to draw a 1.5 point deer tag and used 6 antelope points to draw a 6 point antelope tag.  I will be in sw Wy this year.      

• Like 1

You can have the antlers shipped back USPS cheap, as long as you cover the points with cardboard or whatever...

Shipping for the meat might sound expensive, but if you  figure what it costs you to process local deer, they are not that bad...

My last trip  to Alaska, I had a couple hundred pounds of halibut and salmon shipped back, and the price was less than it would have been to buy it locally..I have heard horror stories  about having meat shipped, but my personal experiences have all been good.

back in the days when when I was doing a lot of out of state hunts ( mostly pre  9-11)  it was fairly easy and cheap tp bring back meat as extra baggage on the airplane..

In any case, I envy you....I have done a fair number of trips  to the Western states and also to Alaska and northern Canada...

I am no longer financially or physically able to do these hunts,  but I still have the pictures and the memories,  which give me pleasure each and every day...

My advice to anyone who wants to do such a hunt is to DO  it, now, while you can...You will never be sorry....

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 607 HUNTER said:

What area is vail? I hunt 25/25 and 34 outside of vail during 2nd season. How did you get a bear tag? I thought they were all private land this year? 

Anyway what deer tag buck or doe? Muley aren’t The smartest of animals one mite say dumb. They are not as alert as a whitetail. We usually clean up on deer no tag goes unfilled in camp. Elk are tough to zero in on. My advice is definitely get up like you are a couple days early and find them. They usually don’t travel far off everyday. Get up and start your walk in early to try and cut them off going to bed down. That’s your best bet. Pay close attention to the winds it’s not like here they change in seconds so be aware. Last bit of advice is make sure it’s a elk before you shoot . Moose are very prevalent in the area and you will be in big trouble if you mistakenly shoot one. Good luck . Oh yeah get some visine it’s super dry up there and your eyes will dry out and drive you nuts.

Best of luck on the hunt. My advice after a bunch of western hunts is like many others, enjoy the hunt and learn all you can. The only thing I will add is that two days is likely not enough for acclimatize for the altitude that you’ll be hunting. If that’s all you can spare, work your way into it not only those first two days but the first two days of your hunt. Start easy and work into it. Good luck and enjoy. 

• Like 1

No elk tag this year for me.  The last time that happened was about about 20 years.  Didn't draw the Montana elk/deer combo, the last time that happened was about 10 years ago when they still had outfitter pool.   My backup on the years I didn't draw Montana  was Idaho.  The tag i used to get in Idaho was sold out 10 months ago.  when May came around and I was tagless from not drawing any tags out west, I used 5 Wy deer points to draw a 1.5 point deer tag and used 6 antelope points to draw a 6 point antelope tag.  I will be in sw Wy this year.      

What unit or WY? I got 5 MD, 5Lope, and 6 elk in Wyoming right now

Nothing for me this year, but im planning on going next year. No wife or kids so I figure this is the time to get a hunt like that done

Yup. Now is the time. I went apeshit going on 3-4 hunts per year the last couple years before getting engaged

• Like 2

1 more tip, bring whatever you can on the plane. I once brought back a mt lion and 2 grey fox in a small cooler as my carryon bag on a JetBlue flight.

My dad brought back elk antlers as carryon once. They were wrapped and he said it was part of an artsy chandelier he was bringing home and they let him bring it on.

I paid $25 for a box once to bring back 9 mule deer sheds I found.

Point is, do your research with your Arline and you’ll be surprised with what you can get away with

9 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Once my kids are a little more self sufficient, this is on my list.

I hope you make this happen, I actually postponed this trip last year because my youngest was born in June 2018. I have a 1, 2 and 4 year old, the wife can deal with them and the insufficient habits when I'm gone :b

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sounds awesome! I've been on many out of state hunts, but none since mule deer/antelope in WY 2014. Are you staying in a tent or local motel? Do you have a game processing/butcher in mind? Taxidermist? etc....

If you havent already, check out bowsite. Tons of valuable info there and people willing to help.

Funny enough Biz, but the guys I am going with have stayed in tents before and in a Condo in Vail. They said the Condo, hot-tub and local eye candy they would never stay in a tent again. With this being such a big hunt for me I really pushed for hiring an outfitter to take us miles in off the beaten paths and camp there, but they had no interest. O well I will probably enjoy the hot tub after a long day of hunting lol 

I have lined up a taxidermist, and butcher ( butcher will store the meat for $10 a day also until we head home which is very helpful)

I have never been on bowsite...is there a certain site for CO or just bowsite.com your talking about ? 

I will be driving, 24 hours. I will be traveling through Ohio where I have never been. I will be doing my best to keep it between the lines and looking for areas for a 2020 diy white tail hunt there.

8 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

A good friend and i have talked about doing a DIY archery hunt in Colorado for elk. Do you plan out packing in and setting up a camp, or are you using your vehicle as your base camp?

I wish we were camping in the forest, we will be staying in a million dollar ski condo. Very affordable rates though because its the off season for skiing , $220 a guy for 5 days. 

8 hours ago, Belo said:

your plan sounds solid. after listening to numerous hours of meateater podcasts, one thing they recommend is a pack out plan. Not a solo activity and there are services for hire. A sat phone would be good too especially if solo.

i'd recommend you look up the meateater podcasts, there are a few on elk hunting and calling, but some real good ones where they go through their packs. there are some things us whitetail hunters would never think of and they make a ton of sense. 

good luck, it's a dream of mine some day

Thanks for the info Belo, I will look up and listed to those podcasts.  I am doing everything I can to secure a packing service, I keep striking out. I heard you will see them around town upon arrival, I would like have it secured before arrival. 

8 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

24 hr drive for us, whats 24 hours with buddies ? I hear ya though, the system they do is 3 guys a truck. One guy sleeping in the back seat, driver and co-pilot keeping the driver company.  I will definitely keep the site up to speed, hope you make it out one day yourself!

• Like 1