Any adventurous members sneaking out of NY on an ELK hunt this year?

607 HUNTER

6 hours ago, Core said:

Fly out and rent a car for the drive home if you're successful.

Elk hunt sounds amazing. I wish it was better/more tags in PA. It's definitely something I want to do, even more than moose actually. I've a coworker that has gone a few times to Colorado and got one a year or two back after a couple of failed hunts--although those were with a bow.

I agree with PA Core !!! Going all the way to CO and getting tag soup would be a tough one.

3 hours ago, dmandoes said:

No elk tag this year for me.  The last time that happened was about about 20 years.  Didn't draw the Montana elk/deer combo, the last time that happened was about 10 years ago when they still had outfitter pool.   My backup on the years I didn't draw Montana  was Idaho.  The tag i used to get in Idaho was sold out 10 months ago.  when May came around and I was tagless from not drawing any tags out west, I used 5 Wy deer points to draw a 1.5 point deer tag and used 6 antelope points to draw a 6 point antelope tag.  I will be in sw Wy this year.      

Good luck in WY ! Come to Vail, just have to go to Wal Mart upon arrival and buy an OTC tag.

2 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Nothing for me this year, but im planning on going next year. No wife or kids so I figure this is the time to get a hunt like that done

You n Biz are right !!! I am a young man myself, 33 years young- married for 5 years. You can't understand how your hunting will slow down one day, travel everywhere you can !!! Especially on some fun hunts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cory said:

What area is vail? I hunt 25/25 and 34 outside of vail during 2nd season. How did you get a bear tag? I thought they were all private land this year? 

Anyway what deer tag buck or doe? Muley aren’t The smartest of animals one mite say dumb. They are not as alert as a whitetail. We usually clean up on deer no tag goes unfilled in camp. Elk are tough to zero in on. My advice is definitely get up like you are a couple days early and find them. They usually don’t travel far off everyday. Get up and start your walk in early to try and cut them off going to bed down. That’s your best bet. Pay close attention to the winds it’s not like here they change in seconds so be aware. Last bit of advice is make sure it’s a elk before you shoot . Moose are very prevalent in the area and you will be in big trouble if you mistakenly shoot one. Good luck . Oh yeah get some visine it’s super dry up there and your eyes will dry out and drive you nuts.

No way, are you going out this season ?  Vail is GMU 36.  

Colorado actually lowered the price on Bear tags this year from $350 to $100, so they basically forced me to buy one lol. My primary objective is an Elk, but if the opportunity presents itself I will gladly harvest a mature Bear. 

Deer tag is a buck tag,  I have heard that Muleys are sorta dumb. Ill believe it when I see it,  I am still a skeptic. I am hoping to bring home a giant! Make my white tail mounts look small lol

Do you normally see Elk's in heards 2nd Rifle or more solo? Thanks for the info

22 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

I leave 3 weeks from sunday for my maine moose hunt. couldn't be more excited. elk is next on the bucket list. take lots of pictures and good luck out there!!!

Bull or cow tag? Awesome either way.

The kid I mentored at the cabin when he was in his teens just hunted Elk out west. He is now 24 living out there. Heard plenty of them and gt a bull out of his bed and had a stare down at 50 yards. No shot. He had a great time and will be doing it again in a few weeks. 

Edited by First-light

Funny enough Biz, but the guys I am going with have stayed in tents before and in a Condo in Vail. They said the Condo, hot-tub and local eye candy they would never stay in a tent again. With this being such a big hunt for me I really pushed for hiring an outfitter to take us miles in off the beaten paths and camp there, but they had no interest. O well I will probably enjoy the hot tub after a long day of hunting lol 

I have lined up a taxidermist, and butcher ( butcher will store the meat for $10 a day also until we head home which is very helpful)

I have never been on bowsite...is there a certain site for CO or just bowsite.com your talking about ? 

I will be driving, 24 hours. I will be traveling through Ohio where I have never been. I will be doing my best to keep it between the lines and looking for areas for a 2020 diy white tail hunt there.

Bowsite in general will help you. Or you can use the Colorado sub-forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW .. Can you message me these GPS coordinates. Is this in Vail ?    What a view, very cool she got to experience an encounter like that. 

That’s Estes Park. Giant elk, not huntable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

there's a similar discussion about the shed hunting sesaon which is highly regulated. tons of hunters run into the woods when the animals are at their weakest and it pushes them harder than we should. 

28 minutes ago, Belo said:

there's a similar discussion about the shed hunting sesaon which is highly regulated. tons of hunters run into the woods when the animals are at their weakest and it pushes them harder than we should. 

Yup. They have certain dates they can shed hunt. They line and it's a full sprint. Been going on for years. I wasn't even shed hunting and found 9 nice mule deer sheds in a day once in wyoming.

15 hours ago, 607 HUNTER said:

Colorado actually lowered the price on Bear tags this year from $350 to $100, so they basically forced me to buy one lol. My primary objective is an Elk, but if the opportunity presents itself I will gladly harvest a mature Bear. 

Deer tag is a buck tag,  I have heard that Muleys are sorta dumb. Ill believe it when I see it,  I am still a skeptic. I am hoping to bring home a giant! Make my white tail mounts look small lol

I will be going out. Frontier airlines had round trip direct flights for $222 I couldn’t pass up. I was iffy this year because of the whole you have to buy a small game tag to get any tag. 

Elk during 2nd season tend to be in heards with cows and the big boys being loners or running with other bulls. Breeding season is passed so you won’t hear any bugling going on. I have had luck calling in cows with my cow call in late season. So if you plan on bugling you probably won’t get any response. Spot and stalk is the game. 

How old are you? I really have no problem with the elevation. I’m 37 and have gone 7 times and never had any issue. You will be tired ass hell at night because you will put some miles on the boots. It tends to be kind of cold low 30’s in the mornings. But don't over dress no humidity up there it makes it feel a lot warmer. Don’t be surprised to see mid 70’s during the day!

if your driving and see what you are after remember it’s 50’ from the center of the road not 50’ from the side of the road. Trust me it makes a difference in time. 2 years ago one guy from camp took a beautiful 6x6 as 2 bulls were trotting across the road. As we were heading in for lunch. I missed the other bull. Lol

15 hours ago, 607 HUNTER said:

And watch out for cactus. You will run into it. Most people don’t know that Colorado is a high plains desert and it’s everywhere.

31 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Funny........

Been on many out of state hunts, guided or DIY?

17 minutes ago, steve863 said:

All I have to say is that you shouldn't for a minute think it will be a slam dunk.  Especially since you will be doing a DIY hunt.

Agree with both you 100%. If the OP is shooting first rack he sees, fine. But if he is looking for a "monster", odds are it won't come easy. It happens easy sometimes of course, but not likely.