Albany Pine Bush......WOW!

DirtTime

I agree with grampy,  a wise old man once told me to hunt as close as you can to houses legally,back then it was 500 from a dwelling.  I couldn't figure why he said that being young and dumb. I would go to the farthest parcel out I could find. 3 years in a row I saw that same old wise man with 3 slammers back to back to back years. I became hunting friends with him, finally one year  I said Sam what's your secret.           [ never got his last name ]  He said young man, the money people spend on shrubs in guilderland taste far better then the food a deer eats in the woods . Then it dawned on me, he was hunting close to the food source which was close to the houses .  A deer will eat fresh arborvities over woods food anyday of the week. I haven't bow hunted since having kids, but guys at work regularly get 8 pointers in there on a yearly basis ..  Just be mindful of the ticks as I said above.

• 1 year later...
On 9/4/2019 at 9:11 PM, DirtTime said:

That was my thinking. They cut more that will hurt the deer population then help it. That area is too small for this type of clear cutting. But as you said Matt, they know what they are doing.

Yea they do not care about the deer or the deer hunting one bit. Year after year they clear cut and burn more and more. Now they’re cutting off access for hunters. Seems like they’re discriminating against the hunters if you ask me. I’ve hunted in there for years now and yes there’s deer but they’re hard to come by since the ideal habitat for them is now all the private land around the Pinebush (that hasn’t been completely destroyed) but I don’t think they give two craps about the deer. They’re focus is like ants butterfly’s and small critters. Seems stupid to me but I’m just a bias deer hunter

On 9/17/2019 at 1:13 PM, grampy said:

Being a bow hunting only zone, the bucks can get some age on them in the Pine Bush. That's all they need to get big. Along with all the expensive shrubbery they can add to their diet. I too have seen some real slammers in the PB. The key to hunting it is access. Finding the right piece to set up on, and a good way to get into it, will really up your chance at a wallhanger. 

I would like to be more specific. But I have been sworn to secrecy. If I were to give details on where, how, and when, "they" would come for me!   :punish:

But really, if you can overcome the access issue. Most anywhere in the Pine Bush, can be a great place to hunt trophy deer, for an adaptable bowhunter.

shhhhh dont tell those secrets lol. ive been working my ass off for 5 years now to locate a few of those spots and it seems every year more and more hunters move in and just trample all over the place still hunting with a bow. its becoming extremely frustrating 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tylerdun9 said:

shhhhh dont tell those secrets lol. ive been working my ass off for 5 years now to locate a few of those spots and it seems every year more and more hunters move in and just trample all over the place still hunting with a bow. its becoming extremely frustrating 

There is still some giant bucks in the Pine Bush. The true secret is.... ACCESS and ADAPTABILITY. Think small......

I was fortunate to land a prime private hunting area in the far western  part of the PB last year. I hunted it sparingly. But blew a chance at what would have been my biggest bow buck by far. When he held up on the other side of a tree at 15 yards. And I could no longer hold full draw. He caught the movement when I let down and was gone. I'll be back for redemption this year.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

There is still some giant bucks in the Pine Bush. The true secret is.... ACCESS and ADAPTABILITY. Think small......

I was fortunate to land a prime private hunting area in the far western  part of the PB last year. I hunted it sparingly. But blew a chance at what would have been my biggest bow buck by far. When he held up on the other side of a tree at 15 yards. And I could no longer hold full draw. He caught the movement when I let down and was gone. I'll be back for redemption this year.

oh i know there is alot of big boys in there. but that cat is out of the bag thanks to some idiot who posted a nice 130's on facebook and straight up said "hey albany pinebush hunters i found this buck, he was wondering around the pinebush until last night" after that at least 20-30 new hunters were flooding the bush, chasing a dead deer. Awh man!! thats a shame hpefully he made it threw and you get another crack at him or an even better guy. I myself blew a chance at a very large 8 pointer. i was hanging my stand as a few pb workers came blazing a trail right threw what i assumed was the bedding area. i figured if they didnt bust one out of there then it must be empty. so i go down to scout it and not even 70 yards from the tree i was hanging in and not even 20 yards from where they walked in i jumped a huge 8 with a doe. Ive had 5-6 opportunities at what would have been my biggest buck to date in there but have yet to be able to seal the deal. i also hunt in there 5 days a week because i live right there 

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a good set up and spot in there Tyler. Persistence will pay off for you. First couple weeks of November are crazy in the PB. For big bucks.....and people. Seeing a 150 class buck cruising is not out of the question during this time. They're in there! Wishing you the best of luck this fall.

PM me if I can ever help you, I will.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 11:22 AM, grampy said:

Sounds like you have a good set up and spot in there Tyler. Persistence will pay off for you. First couple weeks of November are crazy in the PB. For big bucks.....and people. Seeing a 150 class buck cruising is not out of the question during this time. They're in there! Wishing you the best of luck this fall.

PM me if I can ever help you, I will.

yessir!! im gonna keep hitting it as hard as possibly, one day itll all come together! i know its really a magical place your truly never know. will do thank you very much!!

• Like 1