Albany Pine Bush......WOW!

DirtTime

We still have our vet for our dog in Schenectady. We had to take her in this afternoon. We pass the APB on the way there from the Thruway.

WOW! They cut the $h1t out of that place! I know they do regular burns over there to combat ticks and underbrush, but this was clear cutting and hacking. The area East of 155 was cut down leaving a few trees left, but not many. West of 155 they took they down so much you can see Kings Rd. from the Thruway. I'm not sure about the area behind the visitors center, or the area over by the industrial parks ( I don't remember the names of those streets off the top of my head right now).

That place isn't very big to start with, and gets way over pressured most of the time. It looks like all the folks who hunt that place are going to be packed like sardines into  a couple smaller areas. I sincerely wish all who hunt there from this site the best of luck.

Edited by DirtTime

That could be. It wouldn't surprise me much. I hear "rumors" about them selling off part of the land sometimes, and IIRC they have. Last I knew the locals were trying to put a stop to that and had won. Not sure really, don't keep up on the area anymore. Just a little surprised to see a huge area torn up like that.

9 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

They aren't selling it. The cuts have been gong on for a few years now. They are trying to bring it back to pine barrens that they use to be. They say it is better for the lands!! I know alot of people are unhappy about it. Even non hunters. 

Thanks for the heads up. I don't hunt the area anymore, so I really don't make a point to keep up on what's going on. Like I said though, two huge chunks were all but annihilated.

17 hours ago, KMurph332 said:

I drive by every day on 155 for work i was surprised to say the least when they were cutting it but it was to get rid of the poplar trees and think about it more feed for the deer with alot of new undergrowth 

Bot with all the new open areas, may be an issue with people on I90 blasting their horns if they see a bow hunter up in a tree.

21 hours ago, KMurph332 said:

I drive by every day on 155 for work i was surprised to say the least when they were cutting it but it was to get rid of the poplar trees and think about it more feed for the deer with alot of new undergrowth 

They got rid of all the trees. poplars, locusts, oaks maples etc. If the trees weren't in a wet land the cut most of them!! I saw some 20+ inch oaks stumps that they cut. Crazy stuff. They are the professionals though, they know what they are doing!!

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 9:01 PM, biggamefish said:

They got rid of all the trees. poplars, locusts, oaks maples etc. If the trees weren't in a wet land the cut most of them!! I saw some 20+ inch oaks stumps that they cut. Crazy stuff. They are the professionals though, they know what they are doing!!

That was my thinking. They cut more that will hurt the deer population then help it. That area is too small for this type of clear cutting. But as you said Matt, they know what they are doing.

to sustain it as an inland pine barren ecosystem to support stuff like the blue karner butterfly and other species they have to remove invasive tree species and there's a lot of them. no doubt it'll effect deer. just something you deal with if you want to hunt there.

As I mentioned, what they are doing there is of no real concern to me as an area to hunt. When I did hunt there, I can say I did not care for it much, but it was close to home back then. I could never get used to all the noise that's part of urban hunting. I like being in the woods, not in a park environment for hunting.

I just feel bad for the people who do hunt it, and seem to enjoy it.

3 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Can see the burnings from my office building on the state campus.  Been burning almost every week this summer.

Can you eat deer taken in there?  I see the dump on the skyline next to it and the thought turns my stomach.

That gave me a full laugh out loud moment right there.

I would have to think so. It does get hunted hard, mainly on weekends, but it does get the heck hunted out of it.

There are some HUGE bucks in the Pine Bush.  Yeah...hunting in there can be a bit sketchy. And the ticks are plentiful to say the least. But I know a couple guys that hunt there, and put down very nice bucks every year. Just take a bit of planning, and a willingness to adapt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Can see the burnings from my office building on the state campus.  Been burning almost every week this summer.

Can you eat deer taken in there?  I see the dump on the skyline next to it and the thought turns my stomach.

not like they're eating garbage. enough activity there 24 hours that they stay away from where it's exposed. the thought crossed my mind though. one time i sat behind that dump. the wind shifted and blew off the dump to me. stunk bad and ended up giving me a headache. yes a headache from hunting. lol hunting isn't bad though. if you're not proficient with a bow you're wasting your time there.

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

I hunted behind Ruth's towing, saw some slammers in there for sure .

Being a bow hunting only zone, the bucks can get some age on them in the Pine Bush. That's all they need to get big. Along with all the expensive shrubbery they can add to their diet. I too have seen some real slammers in the PB. The key to hunting it is access. Finding the right piece to set up on, and a good way to get into it, will really up your chance at a wallhanger. 

I would like to be more specific. But I have been sworn to secrecy. If I were to give details on where, how, and when, "they" would come for me!   :punish:

But really, if you can overcome the access issue. Most anywhere in the Pine Bush, can be a great place to hunt trophy deer, for an adaptable bowhunter.

• Like 1