doing anything different with your meat?

Robhuntandfish

Got any plans for changes in processing this year?  New things your gonna try with the venison we all hope to get?  I am planning on trying to somewhat recreate Constanzas maple blueberry breakfast sausage.  Cause Lawd and TF got me hooked on it.  - thanks guys its great stuff.  Was gonna have it made there but like making my own, so gonna try that first. I have made regular maple with success so gonna up it a notch.   Other than that the usual backstrap sections, a little stew meat, a couple of roasts, bacon burgers.  If I get a second deer will make some cracked pepper and Jalepeno brats. If a third will make some snack sticks and smoked sausage.   The one deer is at least the goal though always have to make bacon burgers and breakfast sausage and steaks which are my favorites.  If I get more than one deer thats just a bonus.      

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

Gonna try some smoked polish sausage this year besides the fresh. Everything else will be the same, bacon,ground, polish and Italian sausage,a few steaks. 1st deer always goes to sausage.

i remember last year you talking about venison bacon.  Its on my list to make sometime. I looked up how its done and think i can pull it off.  Def on the to do list !

i dipped my toes into the sausage making process last year and intend to do a lot more this year if I have enough meat. I'm going to do a 50/50 mix this time and going to try some summer sausage. 

More importantly, this is the first year I'm going to try and do something with the heart and liver. Cant wait!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

i dipped my toes into the sausage making process last year and intend to do a lot more this year if I have enough meat. I'm going to do a 50/50 mix this time and going to try some summer sausage. 

More importantly, this is the first year I'm going to try and do something with the heart and liver. Cant wait!

We usually cook up the heart while we cut up the deer.  Trimmed carefully and sauteed in butter.  If its early we'll have it with eggs.  Iv also stuffed the heart with apples and onions and roasted it.  

Liver gets eaten within a few days, on sandwiches with bacon and onions, or lightly dusted with flour and pan fried.

The key with organs is to eat them fresh... they are never as good after freezing.  

• Like 1

Just now, johnplav said:

We usually cook up the heart while we cut up the deer.  Trimmed carefully and sauteed in butter.  If its early we'll have it with eggs.  Iv also stuffed the heart with apples and onions and roasted it.  

Liver gets eaten within a few days, on sandwiches with bacon and onions, or lightly dusted with flour and pan fried.

The key with organs is to eat them fresh... they are never as good after freezing.  

yes i've heard that too. do it fresh and early. Not sure yet how I plan to prepare them. I'm usually a double lung guy, but with my luck I'll get a heart shot haha.

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

In a perfect world, someone would take my venison and give me back the following:

1. Backstraps and steaks for grilling

2. Constanzas maple blueberry breakfast sausage

3. Jerky (medium spicy)

dropoff venison in parking area by my truck and will send back 3lbs of each

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I would like to pressure can some venison this year... I am told it is second to none.  Also, Make more sausage this year.

Ill hit you guys up for the blueberry recipe I keep hearing about 

I'll let you try some of mine if you want to. There is no reason that it can't be frozen and then thawed and canned. If you like it then you can do a bunch. Cut the pieces in stew meat size and freeze. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

40 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

Same as always, cabelas peppered ground jerky, bearded butcher blend cheese brats, whole rear quarters for smoking. Then my standard cuts. Maybe try canning a bit.

Wow whole rear quarters.  Does it come out dry?  Have to brine it a bunch first?  Cook one up for a BBQ like brisket or pulled pork?  Never heard of doing them like that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Belo said:

Don't forget the nuts.  You are really not a true Steve Rinella fan until you fry up some of those in butter with lots of pepper. 

tip: cut a little slit in them first so they do not "explode" in the frying pan. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Don't forget the nuts.  You are really not a true Steve Rinella fan until you fry up some of those in butter with lots of pepper. 

tip: cut a little slit in them first so they do not "explode" in the frying pan. 

Deer nuts are cheap. They’re under a buck 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2