doing anything different with your meat?

Robhuntandfish

just the usual. haven't changed much in many years of cutting my own. definitely cooking up some new recipes. goal is to empty the freezer but i can never seem to do it.  this might be the first year in a long time i teach someone how to process. hopefully a new hunter. also if enough new hunters take deer i'm giving one of them a free processing at a local deer processor.

• Like 1

Biz doesn’t eat roast beef 

Not on a plane or a train?  

Just to clarify. I eat roast beef (like in sandwiches).

I don’t eat roast beef curtains (like mudflaps on a Mack Truck)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/30/2019 at 11:26 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I like all the cuts i can grill. dont care for stew or tacos. it's not bad, just nothing special. i'm a grill guy year round.

you can grill burgers :)

On 8/30/2019 at 4:34 PM, Hock3y24 said:

I put some pics up, delicious was like roast beef.

i was saying that with regards to biz not eating ground

• Like 1

Bought a used 10" Northern Industries meat band saw with grinder and sausage stuffer attachment at a yard sale last week. They get pretty crappy reviews and are discontinued it looks like, but the price was right and its better than what I had (nothing). Looking forward to processing a deer from start to finish. Have always taken to a processor. Did my first practice run on a buck this spring that got stuck in my neighbors fence, broke its leg, and the police had to put down. Most of the meat was no good, but it was a good learning experience. Hoping to tag a doe during the bow season and use most of the meat to make sausage and ground. Some good recipes posted in this thread that I plan on trying. Thanks!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
I like all the cuts i can grill. dont care for stew or tacos. it's not bad, just nothing special. i'm a grill guy year round.

You can grill almost everything except the front quarters. If the hinds are cut and cleaned properly you can grill all the muscle groups

Also I’m thinking of trying to make prosciutto from a doe hind quarter

My buddy had east Fishkill make him one once. It was good-super salty and he didn’t break it down to manageable portions so it dried to the point where we couldn’t chew it. Monitoring and controlling temperature and more importantly moisture/humidity is key from what I hear.

I’ll add the way Amatos cuts them is shit. I like the people there but they cut Deer the worst I’ve ever seen

I really enjoy cutting up my own deer to find all the right cuts that can be used on any preparation. I never know the technical names but still recognize what meat is steak or cutlet (my favorite!) worthy. And if all else fails, grind it!
I still need to perfect the fat(and which fat) to venison ratio for sausage and really want to find a venison salami recipe i can cook in my oven.

30 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I really enjoy cutting up my own deer to find all the right cuts that can be used on any preparation. I never know the technical names but still recognize what meat is steak or cutlet (my favorite!) worthy. And if all else fails, grind it!
I still need to perfect the fat(and which fat) to venison ratio for sausage and really want to find a venison salami recipe i can cook in my oven.

I have a pretty decent oven salami  recipe that I got from an Outdoor Life magazine article years ago....I'll send it along to you...

Since my computer savvy is very low tech,  send me your address  via  PM and I'll send you a copy of it in the snail mail..

• Like 1

I have a pretty decent oven salami  recipe that I got from an Outdoor Life magazine article years ago....I'll send it along to you...
Since my computer savvy is very low tech,  send me your address  via  PM and I'll send you a copy of it in the snail mail..

PM sent...i hate to admit it but I am curious how your salami tastes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Wife wants to try making our own burger and breakfast sausage.  So we will see how that goes if i can manage to take one this year.  

Recommend around 15% ground fatty pork shoulder mixed in, and penzeys breakfast or venison sausage mix.  Good stuff.  I don't stuff, just make patties, separate with wax paper.

Mmmmmm salami!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk