How far is everyone shooting?

Buckfever85

All bows are going to be really dropping out at 50 yrds. Don't know the fps second on your bow but todays bow will help a little. Like what was said before a lighter arrow would help if you are ONLY shooting targets. I use my hunting rig for targets and hunting so nothing changes. I used to only practice out to 30 yards and last year I starting practicing out to 50 because I was going out west for elk. Even if you never take a 50 yard shot, which I wouldn't recommend unless the person is consistantly hitting a vital size target every time, those 20 yarders get a whole lot easier.

I occasionally shoot the longer distances in order to boost confidence on the more realistic hunting distances. I also have to admit that it's just plain fun to shoot the longer distances. I like to watch the arrow flight. get back to 80 yards and let one fly. It's amazing how even the super fast bows have one heck of an arc. In fact for some real impressive arrow trajectory, try it with a recurve. Just make sure that there are no overhanging limbs along the way ..... lol.

I think shooting out past 50 yards is alittle crazy but if u practice at it, and can ensure a quilty hit, then go for it

50 yards on the practice range can be the final test of your hunting set-up. That doesn't mean that you have to shoot at deer at that distance. It's just a practice routine that proves out your equipment and also adds a little interest to your practice sessions.

I occasionally shoot well beyond 50 yards on my archery range, and can do it quite well. However shooting at a stationary target under archery range conditions is not really the same as a hunting situation where the deer can take a step or two at anytime between when you decide to let the arrow go, and the time that the arrow actually gets to the deer. I keep my shots at 30 yards and under. And a nice 15 yard shot is really what I am after. I kind of try to see how close of a shot I can get, not how far I can shoot.

i have no intentions of shooting at a deer 50 yds away i will not shoot at a deer anymore than 30 yds 40 if everything is picture perfect but as hunters we all know that very rarely happens. i just enjoy shooting with my gf and friends and try to push the limits sometimes.

Just an interesting little calculation:

Ever wonder how far a deer can move with just a casual step or two (as they often do when grazing) while an arrow is covering a 50 yard distance? Well a walking deer moves at 3.5 - 4 mph (The Deer of North America" Leonard Lee Rue III… Page 40). If you have a fictional super-bow that averages 400fps over that 50 yds, during the time it takes for that arrow to reach the deer, he/she can move 23.1 inches. That's not a deer jumping the string, but simply deciding to take a few steps just as you release the arrow. That takes a perfect shot and turns it into a gut shot.

In reality, the deer is not going to move that far unless it is already walking because of its own inertia. But what if it is only half that distance? that's still a gut-shot.