Running hounds

bkln

Folks, anyone here running hounds before the season (as in train and such) I have a new girl 6 months old coonhound/rottie mix and I think the best way to get her to learn is to run with other older more experienced dogs.

Anyone knows where I can tag along?

Artie.jpg

Here is what I recommend for training your young pup, save yourself from a lot of aggravation, obtain these two books, "Walk With Wick" volumes 1&2, they are by far the best information on training Coon dogs but the same methods will work training for Bear, Squirrels and Possums. Ebay and Huntsmart.com would be good places to start looking.

Al

Edited by airedale

4 hours ago, airedale said:

Here is what I recommend for training your young pup, save yourself from a lot of aggravation, obtain these two books, "Walk With Wick" volumes 1&2, they are by far the best information on training Coon dogs but the same methods will work training for Bear, Squirrels and Possums. Ebay and Huntsmart.com would be good places to start looking.

Al

Thanks airedale, they get pricey, they want $100 for vol1 since they are no longer in print. John Wick BTW...made me laugh a little :-) People are raving about it so it must be good. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hunter007 said:

Off topic but ,just because I saw one  today made me think of this but do greyhounds make good hunting dogs and what can you train  them to  hunt for Rabbits ? 

The are Sighthounds so they will run forever tiring the pray, yeah they will run rabbits just fine. But nothing can beat pack of beagles for hare... just my 2 cents

• Like 1