Attracting does

crappyice

In the deer management program I will be hunting this year, I need to kill a doe or 2. I can kill bucks but only does “count” toward staying in the program.

There are some limitations I’m dealing with - no trail cameras allowed, no ground hunting, and the parks stay open to the public (hikers, dog walkers, etc).

Are there scents used to attract does? I heard of vanilla extract but no experience using it.

Are there sounds that are attractive? Bleats, grunts, rattlers?

I know getting on their pattern is best but without trail cams working for me when I’m not there and the variability present due to hikers, patterns are tricky to establish.

Of course dumping corn and salt licks are looked down upon! Kidding- I know they are illegal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tell ya what. Many times while spring turkey hunting I / we’ve had deer come in from pretty far distances to check out turkey decoys. Some have pawed at them , some stood around forever , would leave and come right back over and over again.  Deer see turkeys they feel pretty dang safe knowing that if their around all is good.  I plan on using one once or twice. Definitely not going to hurt anything 

• Like 4

In the deer management program I will be hunting this year, I need to kill a doe or 2. I can kill bucks but only does “count” toward staying in the program.

There are some limitations I’m dealing with - no trail cameras allowed, no ground hunting, and the parks stay open to the public (hikers, dog walkers, etc).

Are there scents used to attract does? I heard of vanilla extract but no experience using it.

I know getting on their pattern is best but without trail cams working for me when I’m not there and the variability present due to hikers, patterns are tricky to establish.

Of course dumping corn and salt licks are looked down upon! Kidding- I know they are illegal

What park will you be hunting? Maybe we can go for a walk and look for sign. I would say scout obvious doe bedding areas and set up on the trails leading in and out. Will also be a good spot for bucks during the rut

What park will you be hunting? Maybe we can go for a walk and look for sign. I would say scout obvious doe bedding areas and set up on the trails leading in and out. Will also be a good spot for bucks during the rut

Early season will be mostly in Hilltop Hanover which is Biz’s backyard. Some of my better areas within are deep and border private properties. I got the general area pegged pretty well....just need to draw them within bow range. Getting them off well manicured lawns and yummy shrubs and Biz’s pool ain’t easy.
Later in season I switch over to Muscoot which doesn’t open to our program until Nov 1

• Like 1

I tell ya what. Many times while spring turkey hunting I / we’ve had deer come in from pretty far distances to check out turkey decoys. Some have pawed at them , some stood around forever , would leave and come right back over and over again.  Deer see turkeys they feel pretty dang safe knowing that if their around all is good.  I plan on using one once or twice. Definitely not going to hurt anything 

So interesting. I had one spot in here that I would see turkey often - whenever I would see turkey, I would see deer. They were Not together or even traveling the same direction. I passed it off as coincidence but there could be something to this which is worth a shot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Yea I was going to do that program but decided not to,  to many regulations you also have to hunt a certain amount of hours and check in and out  and  bla bla bla.

So Chef is one of those "Enjoys long walks in the park" type of guy. Hmmm.

Yes and when I walk in the park we crappy we hold hands! It helps us blend in at those Westchester parks!

• Like 3

Most of my deer hunting over decades did not involve trail cams. That said, we would look for well used trails, which usually is mostly doe and fawns using them.

But with hunting the doe, it's easy enough if you know what and where they are eating, and where they are bedding. Then just set up between the two. Soon enough, a doe group will be coming through.

For doe, use a fawn bleet! They will most of the time come to check and see, what fawn is "lost" or whatever. Even if she has no fawns of her own.

• Like 4

Fresh apple cider in a atomizer spray bottle.. just squirt it into air deer will sniff their way right to you. Bonus is if your thirsty take off top and grab a sip.

Even with no apples in the area? The feed in the area (and most of 3S) is all hardwood mast crops and BS grasses with the occasional flower bed from the rich.

6 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Even with no apples in the area? The feed in the area (and most of 3S) is all hardwood mast crops and BS grasses with the occasional flower bed from the rich.

Yup .... I have no apple trees on my property and I use cider spray all the time and it works ... curiosity kills lots of deer !

• Like 1

OP said does not hoes

I thought he was suggesting bring some hoes to attract the does. May need to try that regardless.

Making for one hell of a hunt...turkey decoys under one arm, spritz bottle of apple juice and a hoe in the other with a fawn bleet around my neck. Eazy peezy.

As an example of the variability that I can not control in this spot...I decided to sit above the tree I hunted in the past (1/3 down on the leeward side-I’m paying attention!) and just watch for an hour or so. 30 minutes in, country music BLASTS from the house below. So loud that I could video/record it and clearly identify songs playing -“oh my God, this is my song!”
After enjoying the concert for a bit, I moved to the other side of the hill and sure enough find some does standing there looking toward the house wanting to go that way but frozen. Guess they are not country music fans.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I think they instinctively know the smell of a potential food source so when they smell it they will  come and investigate even if that deer never had it  before .

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I thought he was suggesting bring some hoes to attract the does. May need to try that regardless.

Making for one hell of a hunt...turkey decoys under one arm, spritz bottle of apple juice and a hoe in the other with a fawn bleet around my neck. Eazy peezy.

As an example of the variability that I can not control in this spot...I decided to sit above the tree I hunted in the past (1/3 down on the leeward side-I’m paying attention!) and just watch for an hour or so. 30 minutes in, country music BLASTS from the house below. So loud that I could video/record it and clearly identify songs playing -“oh my God, this is my song!”
After enjoying the concert for a bit, I moved to the other side of the hill and sure enough find some does standing there looking toward the house wanting to go that way but frozen. Guess they are not country music fans.

Don’t think the cider would have helped you there either.  Lol.  Maybe some hard cider to bribe the country music fan.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, crappyice said:

It's a park people eat apples and deer love em , even if it is a tossed core, they leave park and find decorative crab apples in peoples yards I'm sure. Plus there is prolly.some old wild trees someplace even if it is a crab apple I've used it in solid pine stands the deer come and they know there are no apples there..so I would say yes.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

It's a park people eat apples and deer love em , they leave park and find decorative crab apples in peoples yards I'm sure. I've used it in solid pine stands the deer come and they know there are no apples there..so I would say yes.

They just know a potential food source even if it's not found in wild check out this video .

31 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

They just know a potential food source even if it's not found in wild check out this video .

An old timer that taught me to hunt at his camp use to smear limburger cheese on a tree about 3ft off the ground on the lawn of the cabin, deer walk right up and lick it off..  soamething with bananas.,, I've eaten apples and dropped the core and had deer come in and eat it not a few minutes after I dropped it.. my scent had to be all over it didnt care at all. As well as watched deer come in and eat cigar stubs under his stand....

• Like 2