Attracting does

crappyice

Normally when hunting, to find the bucks, find the does....Both need the same cover, food, will utilize the same trails...bucks just leave more distinctive seasonal calling cards.

I would look online, even Google Earth, to get an overview of the*- area, looking for funnel areas, east west ridges, etc. Find the food sources and the deers access points. Any fields, meadows, etc. you can prescout dusk and dawn?

I would probably start by hiking as many of any available existing trails, preferably after a rain to look for tracks, travel routes, esp. near water, tertiary areas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I will add to my pack bananas, Doritos, Limburger cheese, and cigars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea  just eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from your tree stand with a nice big bag  of Doritos. They will smell that crap from a mile away and probably start walking to you.  I think something like that happen to bizz's  dad this year when he shot that 8 point .

Think he said he had just finnished lunch when it showed up    . The deer  smelled something good probably. 

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Yea  just eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from your tree stand with a nice big bag  of Doritos. They will smell that crap from a mile away and probably start walking to you.  I think something like that happen to bizz's  dad this year when he shot that 8 point .

Think he said he had just finnished lunch when it showed up    . The deer  smelled something good probably. 

I've had to put down a cup of coffee on seat of stand to shoot a doe shortly after gutting a buck, I think twice now I've had a half an egg salad sammich wedged in my mouth shooting a deer. Got a good cheek weld and everything.

• Like 3

In the deer management program I will be hunting this year, I need to kill a doe or 2. I can kill bucks but only does “count” toward staying in the program.

There are some limitations I’m dealing with - no trail cameras allowed, no ground hunting, and the parks stay open to the public (hikers, dog walkers, etc).

Are there scents used to attract does? I heard of vanilla extract but no experience using it.

Are there sounds that are attractive? Bleats, grunts, rattlers?

I know getting on their pattern is best but without trail cams working for me when I’m not there and the variability present due to hikers, patterns are tricky to establish.

Of course dumping corn and salt licks are looked down upon! Kidding- I know they are illegal

How many acres? If not a bunch you are not really doing any management per say. Just killing a couple does out of the big picture.

4 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

How many acres? If not a bunch you are not really doing any management per say. Just killing a couple does out of the big picture.

It's a few different parks around here that they do that total has to be over 1000  acres   the one he mentioned  is 770 acres .

• Like 2

Its actually called a “forest rehabilitation program” and they have seen progress over the past years in terms of new growth. Whether or not that part is working, I’m not overly sure-I do like having access to parks typically closed to hunters within a 30 minute or so drive

• Like 1

best thing you could do is pay a neighbor to park at their place and simply hike in from the opposite side everybody else is, sign in and go park early if that's logistically possible with what they require of you. find a ridge or trail that funnels the driven deer past you. early season the chase isn't on so the doe will be holed up until another hunter pushes them somewhere else. chances are the first time that morning they're pushed will head them to a safe spot behind someone's back deck or pool. have to stick them before they get there.

• Like 1

otherwise the best thing you can do is shut up and don't smell like anything.  if doe are getting that much pressure they aren't too curious without being wary. i do think Gman's post wouldn't hurt. Maybe even use a drag rag. if you can't come from another side. problem with using drag rags is you should be entering downwind and if a deer follows it, that now puts them downwind of you.

I've had same results with bleats as bawls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

After listening to some google videos of fawn bleats, they sounded quite similar to the rabbit in distress call...high pitch and squeal-ish although not as startled as the rabbit in distress series.

After listening to some google videos of fawn bleats, they sounded quite similar to the rabbit in distress call...high pitch and squeal-ish although not as startled as the rabbit in distress series.

I've heard both from real animals and yea they're quite different. A lot more urgency, emotion, and duration with rabbit distress.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

Rabbit in distress can be horrifying.  My eyes start tearing up and I want to run away when I turn on the electronic caller!  I actually heard a live one last year and it too was horrifying.

Fawn bleat not so much.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3

honestly if not done right bleats and bawls can drive some doe away. for doe best thing that seems to work is a quick simple contact grunt. no tending, rutting, etc. just a simply "hi". if they don't hear you throw out one more but stop. they likely didn't hear you but aren't giving you attention yet. you want them to know about where you are and not have you pinned down. doe are smart. if a single doe is on the move and looking around a contact grunt works even better. instincts are when danger shows up it's better to be with other deer, with more eyes and ears. it'll head toward where it heard another deer, assuming you're in a place deer would travel, thinking it'll eventually meet one and continue to flew danger if need be.

• Like 1

This is a very low calling due to doe in the area.  Mouth covered at beginning and slightly louder in the end.  Using my voice to do this call but the can work great just only do half way with the can not the full cycle.  I do this much louder when trying to call them in from a distance as this call when loud travels very far.  But I try not to make it too stressed out or the doe will come in charging on alert.  Just loud enough to sound like a fawn that wants a drink NOW!  

Results below. 

If you count she posed for a full 10 seconds, plenty of time to settle your pin! 

Edited by NFA-ADK

On 9/1/2019 at 11:52 AM, Daveboone said:

Normally when hunting, to find the bucks, find the does....Both need the same cover, food, will utilize the same trails...bucks just leave more distinctive seasonal calling cards.

If you are looking for young bucks, sure, but mature bucks do not act like does.

• Like 3