Attracting does

crappyice

This is an excellent example of what you want to simulate.  Fawn just wants milk, not stressed out yet is loud enough for Mom the hear if in range. 

Saw that video and can’t quite tell if the soft tubed rabbit in distress caller makes a similar enough sound. May make a few test calls in local woods that can’t be hunted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I had a 30 minutes and decided to
Jump in the woods and give the rabbit distress a shot where I know some deer hang out.

See if this link lets you watch and listen along

I was standing on a walking path (and had a jogger run last while playing with these
Deer) and this was after seeing this group and calling at them for about 5 minutes

• Like 1

So I had a 30 minutes and decided to
Jump in the woods and give the rabbit distress a shot where I know some deer hang out.

See if this link lets you watch and listen along

I was standing on a walking path (and had a jogger run last while playing with these
Deer) and this was after seeing this group and calling at them for about 5 minutes

Seems like curiosity was the reason they came in. Your delivery was weird. Fawns dont really string them together like that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Seems like curiosity was the reason they came in. Your delivery was weird. Fawns dont really string them together like that.

They were all kind of confused by me. I was standing right there making sounds that people (or deer!!!) don’t normally make. It was encouraging that they didn’t bolt however.

Next time I would like to try and start calling without them seeing me first. These deer saw me and ran away and then worked their way in my direction after I started calling.

When I started I was much more deliberate (not stringing them together). I was trying to make something more drastic happen ad opposed to them just staring at me with the mosquitoes removing pints of my blood.

Agree. The sound is different than my bleat too. I usually do 3 bleats every 10-15minutes

looks like that first one has a broken front leg.  
and that jogger was prob a hiker until he saw some crazy guy in the woods making noises.   lol.  
those does were def curious.  How close did they get? 

Initially they ran about 50 yards away and down a hill...I walked up behind a large tree about 30 yards uphill of them and started to call. Closest they came was about 10 yards.
The call kept them interested and made them investigate.

Once I was done playing around, I stepped out from the tree and kept calling as I walked toward them. They never bolted. I walked away and then walked back to them without calling and they were gone.

These deer are very used to people traffic so my study needs to continue elsewhere

Agree. The sound is different than my bleat too. I usually do 3 bleats every 10-15minutes

While my cadence was off, would you say it sounded similar?

It’s funny - when I Listened back, the sound I was making sounded quite different than what I heard when I was calling in the woods.

• Like 1

Sound you where making is close to a fawn bleat.  The fawn in distress is very similar and like stated is usually not done in that sequence.   I believe they are very curious so even if you don't do the calls correct they still want to know what made that sound, usually it is enough time to get a good stable shot off.  When using the real distress calling they usually come in much more on alert and are a bit harder to keep from moving as they are usually looking for a threat.  This is why using the light bleat call work so well.  Doe and bucks are curious and will often check out another animal calling for mom.  Have used these calls for years using the can and have called in many more using my voice.  Personally it is my preferred way of calling in deer.  Use some deer scents and the big picture takes effect and draws them in even more, I shy away from decoys as most deer that come in I pass and  decoys while good to bring them in usually shows them the picture is fake and it is time to get out of dodge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

It’s funny - when I Listened back, the sound I was making sounded quite different than what I heard when I was calling in the woods.

I don't think so. It's been about a year. But i know the fawn bleat my dad and i have used successfully for years sounds nothing like those doe bleat cans. My dad has killed a bunch of big bucks mid-day in november with shotgun using the fawn bleat. Those bucks he killed came charging in. But it also calls in does sometimes.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

Initially they ran about 50 yards away and down a hill...I walked up behind a large tree about 30 yards uphill of them and started to call. Closest they came was about 10 yards.
The call kept them interested and made them investigate.

Once I was done playing around, I stepped out from the tree and kept calling as I walked toward them. They never bolted. I walked away and then walked back to them without calling and they were gone.

These deer are very used to people traffic so my study needs to continue elsewhere

17 hours ago, crappyice said:

They were all kind of confused by me. I was standing right there making sounds that people (or deer!!!) don’t normally make. It was encouraging that they didn’t bolt however.

Next time I would like to try and start calling without them seeing me first. These deer saw me and ran away and then worked their way in my direction after I started calling.

When I started I was much more deliberate (not stringing them together). I was trying to make something more drastic happen ad opposed to them just staring at me with the mosquitoes removing pints of my blood.

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

here's my take. i've been around several successfully raised fawns in the past that got rehabbed from getting injured in ag fields by harvest related farm equipment. otherwise i wouldn't know what sound they make. a lot of calls off the shelf aren't easy to replicate the same sound. forget what sounds a call off a store shelf makes when you blow into it. a fawn bleat is a like a little kid saying "meh!". slightly higher pitched and plenty loud but not obnoxious like predator calling if you've heard it. don't fade off with the sound but cut the air right off to the call. imagine the fawn throwing out 1 or 2 at most and then taking some steps or strides before sounding off again. lungs are significantly smaller than yours remember.  image your kid calling out to you in the house trying to figure where you are without you answering right away. fawn might come trotting in but when they do shut up. basically a "bawl" is more emotional, distressed, drawn out, and a little more in sequence despite it's the same sound. still chop the air off to end each sound. so i don't get carried away making racket i only take partial breaths. happens when a fawn's likely stuck or hung up in something or in something's mouth. This means the fawn is in deep sh*t and a doe is likely to come in real fast. don't do this on the ground and you'll likely get run over. if the doe is bold enough and you look small enough you might get stomped. point of this post is to bring doe into range and shoot. as soon as you see a doe coming in stop calling and get ready. they already know where you are and won't hang around when they see you getting ready. during the season they act differently than right now.

• Like 3