Iron sights

Chef

Chef....I would  find a cheap Garand rear sight and drill the aperture out  to perhaps  .125 ""...I think you would find it more useful under low light conditions and just as accurate under  average woods hunting applications...Just a thought,,,,,

Chef....I would  find a cheap Garand rear sight and drill the aperture out  to perhaps  .125 ""...I think you would find it more useful under low light conditions and just as accurate under  average woods hunting applications...Just a thought,,,,,

That’s not a bad idea. One of my two Garands has a national match rear sight so that one is out of the question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 5:47 PM, Pygmy said:

I have the .135" aperture in the Pacific K-2 sight.

On 9/2/2019 at 9:13 AM, rachunter said:

I want to put a scope on my .54 cal. caplock.My eyes are terrible.I was shooting it last weekend and anything over 50-60 yards gets a pass.

My eyes are shot, also. Have you thought about a peep? That's what I put on my Hawkens. Not sure what rifle you have, but Lyman makes a great peep.

My eyes are shot, also. Have you thought about a peep? That's what I put on my Hawkens. Not sure what rifle you have, but Lyman makes a great peep.

Yes I put one on my 3030 but I’m not really sure how they work so I took it off. I thought the front sight was supposed to be like the bottom of the crosshairs on a scope,not sure if the makes sense but that’s how I was using it. There was no consistency with it. The gun is a tc renegade.

I always bring both iron sighted and a scoped rifles.   Though as my eyes are failing, peep/aperture rear sights have gotten the nod.  It's breaking my heart that I've spent so many years, time and money, assembling a collection of rifles I can no longer see well enough to shoot. :( 

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

'd love to upgrade my old 30-30 Iron sights but not sure how to go about it , my eyes are not the best anymore  .... its an old Winchester 94 30-30 top eject ! Any suggestions ?

There are several options you can go with on your model 94 Winchester. Many are drilled and tapped on the side and rear of the receiver to accept both Williams and Lyman receiver sights. If not tapped from the factory it is an easy job for a good gunsmith 

If you do not want to go that route there are peep style sights that can replace your factory rear sight, they go right into the dovetail slot.

I have experience with all three styles and they all work well.

One is the Skinner, it is made from stainless steel and of very good quality, the other is a blued steel Marbles, mine are mounted on rimfire rifles and make a difference for my old eyes.

A photo of my single shot favorite with the Marbles mounted along with a changed out fiber optic type front sight.

Al

2016-05-28_064132_zpsp1cxzsqs.png

2016-05-28_064249_zpsy4zlaqrf.png

003.JPG.ae01f7229a50a2e477cfcf90739616ba.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rachunter said:

Yes I put one on my 3030 but I’m not really sure how they work so I took it off. I thought the front sight was supposed to be like the bottom of the crosshairs on a scope,not sure if the makes sense but that’s how I was using it. There was no consistency with it. The gun is a tc renegade.

With a peep sight, you just look through the rear peep, with no conscious effort to align it...Your eye will automatically center the front sight...  If you have a post for the front sight, simply set the target on top of the post..If you have a bead, you can either center the bead on the target, or set the target on top ( six o'clock hold), depending on how you sight in your rifle ...

Peep sights are very accurate when used properly...It is no accident that iron sighted target rifles always are fitted with peep sights rather than regular notch type rear sights...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

With a peep sight, you just look through the rear peep, with no conscious effort to align it...Your eye will automatically center the front sight...  If you have a post for the front sight, simply set the target on top of the post..If you have a bead, you can either center the bead on the target, or set the target on top ( six o'clock hold), depending on how you sight in your rifle ...

Peep sights are very accurate when used properly...It is no accident that iron sighted target rifles always are fitted with peep sights rather than regular notch type rear sights...

thanks i'm going to put it back on the 3030 and try it that way.It's to close to the muzzleloader opener and i'm using it this year.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:49 AM, wildcat junkie said:

2D7qgRO.jpg

120 paces through a hole in the brush. Took me a looong time to dope out a sight picture, but I took him straight on right through the windpipe?neck vertebrae. He dropped in his tracks.

7CAO9BZ.jpg

Boy, ain't that purdy!

• Like 2