Centerpoint 370 which bolts and broad heads?

Bionic

Just now, Red said:

The arrows that came with it are ok but the fletchings suck. Gman/Greg gave me some easton bloodline bolts they sure really nice out of the centerpoint 370

Thanks, I keep reading that the bolts are a bit light that come with it, and aren't consistently accurate.  Any truth in that?

i will take a peak at the bloodlines! Thank you 

3 minutes ago, Cory said:

Save your money and buy an Excalibur. From experience those cam bows break down too quick!

I have a Mission MXB400 but he never ever shoots, and rarely hunts anymore.  So for a guy who shoots maybe 10x a year is it still not a good idea?

I honestly haven't followed Xbow tech or bolt/arrow advancements for them in 3-4yrs. In the past there was a push for Xbowers to use heavier arrows. Mainly to absorb more of the energy released within the Xbow and not absorbed totally by the bow itself. FYI - With some carbon type bolts/arrows you can lose ~25fps using heavier &/or Alum arrows. Can't speak to the hvy wgt vs lgt wgt arrows & consistency. Never been an issue with my Alum arrows. Debate is an obvious carry-over from the compound bow arrow scenario.

Same discussion about BHs holds true between long bow vs Xbow users. I've had good luck with the mechanical BHs from NAP, Spitfires. Know of others that use cheaper Chinese Rage knock-offs and have good luck with them. Lot of good fixed or mechanical BHs for Xbows. If you are thinking about the mechanical BHs, make sure they are rated for Xbows or you may get early deployment from the Xbow.

Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

Haven't hunted with it yet but have shot it a few times. The first time with the factory bolts they shot ok but weren't consistent and are light. 

I love the way the xbow shoots and can't wait to hunt with it. It hits the target bag with so much force.

This picture is of my first 2 shots at 30yrds  with the easton arrows without making any adjustments

20190827_192001.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cory said:

Save your money and buy an Excalibur. From experience those cam bows break down too quick!

Buyer be aware - you get what you pay for in a Xbow, to a $$ point. Obviously, if you're trying to get into Xbow hunting "on the cheap", you may be in for a lot of dissatisfaction. Conversely, there is no clear or exponential advantage of the ~$1200+ Xbows over ones $1/2 that.  Lot of eng/mfg corners are cut to get a Xbow into the $3-400 range, esp with limbs, cams and mainly cheapo scopes.

FYI - years ago I bought a recurve type Xbow for an anticipated Ohio hunt. Second time I shot it the string broke and launched an arrow into the woods. Meaning one bad experience does not make all recurve Xbows undesirable. Just for me it was an oh crap moment and I never tried another one since!!

25 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I have a Mission MXB400 but he never ever shoots, and rarely hunts anymore.  So for a guy who shoots maybe 10x a year is it still not a good idea?

It’s whatever you can afford. I went cheap and my buddies warned me that I’m going to have problems. So I went Barnett and after 100 or so shots bearings went so I traded up to a wicked ridge because it looked cool..lol.. very heavy and the cable wore out quick. So I went to Excalibur’s matrix 310 couldn’t be happier. It’s a recurve so if the string goes in the field I carry an extra and I’m back in business within 5 minutes. But it’s all preference.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cory said:

Buyer be aware - you get what you pay for in a Xbow, to a $$ point. Obviously, if you're trying to get into Xbow hunting "on the cheap", you may be in for a lot of dissatisfaction. Conversely, there is no clear or exponential advantage of the ~$1200+ Xbows over ones $1/2 that.  Lot of eng/mfg corners are cut to get a Xbow into the $3-400 range, esp with limbs, cams and mainly cheapo scopes.

FYI - years ago I bought a recurve type Xbow for an anticipated Ohio hunt. Second time I shot it the string broke and launched an arrow into the woods. Meaning one bad experience does not make all recurve Xbows undesirable. Just for me it was an oh crap moment and I never tried another one since!!

As far as bolts, I shoot black eagle executioners topped with an 150gr boltcutter broadhead.

I’m an Excalibur guy too. My vortex is super old, but i love it. Easy to change string every few years. I use the excal bolts and 150gr boltcutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m an Excalibur guy too. My vortex is super old, but i love it. Easy to change string every few years. I use the excal bolts and 150gr boltcutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those older bows are worth their weight in gold. Bulletproof.

• Like 1

Excalibur are far pricier than the centerpoint.

There have been many threads and posts about the centerpoint and it is the go-to crossbow in this price range. There has been no unusual tendency for these to snap, explode, etc. that I have come across. Lots of reviews of these and the general take away is that the trigger is horrific but the bow is accurate, and powerful.

Oh, not sure I mentioned for broadheads I have found that the montec G5 (only fixed I've tried) don't have a great POI vs field point in my centerpoint. Out to 20 yards it would be a non issue but at 40 where I test out to with broadheads it can be off a few inches--randomly--so i cannot adjust scope to accomodate. That said, I imagine that this xbow with G5 would go through the thickest part of any deer's shoulder. I use Rage 2 or rage hypodermic with my centerpoint. Three deer I've hit have been complete pass throughs.

Edited by Core

I am NOT trying to sound douchey but money is not the object, or swaying factor as to why he is considering the 370.  He barely ever shoots, he doesn’t really even target shoot other than a few times prior to season.  We rarely shoot deer too, so our mindset was that the 370 was probably more than plenty for his use.  I seem to find nothing but good things about it.  

I too have never heard anything good about Barnett

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 4

Nice choice for your dad, definitely replace bolts, Easton makes good bolts and as for broadhead,  I have had good luck with rage crossbow heads, fixed are good but many xbow do not have an opening that allows a larger fixed head ,as well as problems with larger heads floating at high speeds. I'd stick to a crossbow rated head. Montec makes a good fixed but again diameter is smaller 7/8 of an  inch.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Nice choice for your dad, definitely replace bolts, Easton makes good bolts and as for broadhead,  I have had good luck with rage crossbow heads, fixed are good but many xbow do not have an opening that allows a larger fixed head ,as well as problems with larger heads floating at high speeds. I'd stick to a crossbow rated head. Montec makes a good fixed but again diameter is smaller 7/8 of an  inch.

Thank you sir(out of likes)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I am trying to sound douchey but money is not the object, or swaying factor as to why he is considering the 370.  He barely ever shoots, he doesn’t really even target shoot other than a few times prior to season.  We rarely shoot deer too, so our mindset was that the 370 was probably more than plenty for his use.  I seem to find nothing but good things about it.  

I too have never heard anything good about Barnett

I agree with ya about the, it not being a "money" thing. I could go out and purchase a better quality crossbow and would, if full inclusion were passed. But why???  I have had a crossbow since the first year they became legal, and have only hunted with one a handful of times. 

I have a Barnett Raptor. It is just ok. I would never buy another Barnett. But it is light, shoots accurate enough, and so far, except for the dang cheap plastic retaining spring, it has been fine. I did upgrade the scope and bolts that came with it. My grandson uses this one now.

For about the same money, you can get the Sniper 370. It is much better built, quieter, and more accurate. But is heavier by a couple pounds. And yes the trigger is terrible! But unlike a rifle, I'm not shooting 100 plus yards either. I have no problem at all hitting small targets out to 60 yards with the 370. My self imposed range limit when hunting is only 30 yards. 

I bought mine just about brand new from 'Savagehunter' . And the Nikon Bolt scope that I put on it from 'Jdubs' .  (both great guys) So I have little invested in this crossbow. But it shoots and performs just as well as my buddies $1200 Ten Point! Of course the fit and trim on the Ten Point is vastly superior. But that 370 shoots just as well within the range I shoot! 

The reviews on the Sniper 370 are SUPER good! And for good reason. They are hands down the best inexpensive crossbow you can buy, IMO. Better than some others costing much more too.

Like I said, when and if full inclusion is passed, and or my shoulders don't allow me to draw my compound any longer. And I will actually hunt more with a crossbow. Then I will upgrade to a better, more expensive crossbow. 

Until then, the cheap Barnett, and the Sniper 370 will do just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1