WNYBuckHunter

Looking for a lease in WNY

I am starting to look for a long term hunting lease in the WNY area, preferably the Western Finger Lakes region (from Waterloo west to Batavia). I have a couple of other guys that are interested in going in on it with me, so we are looking for something in the 250-400 acre realm. We are looking to be able to do food plots, etc and no house or cabin on the property is necessary. I will not need it right away, just starting my search now so that hopefully we can have it going next year. I will be very selective with what property we go with. If you have or know of something that is available, or will be, please let me know.

• Like 1

Have you contacted GMAN?

• Like 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Wife just came home from a vegetable stand, there was a sign , 75 acres hunting lease in Webster next to Webster park !!! First time ever put up for lease .

This area is jam packed with deer . I get three days of hunting ( my choice ) finders fee .

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Wife just came home from a vegetable stand, there was a sign , 75 acres hunting lease in Webster next to Webster park !!! First time ever put up for lease .

This area is jam packed with deer . I get three days of hunting ( my choice ) finders fee .

I wonder if the park hunting program screwed things up on this parcel.

No, Mrs was a bit off on her info, which is why this stuff is best left to the men. 

Its a bow hunting farm, you lease per day , two hunters max a day . Here’s their web site .

https://www.dadbowhuntingfarm.com/

pretty sure I know this exact spot,I  recognize the pond . The town hunt did really mess up my friends hunting on his adjacent land . I was the first successful hunter in the town hunt btw . Only did it year one . Rather drive to my spot and have it to myself , if I wanted a quick doe I did an afternoon by the town barn 1/2 mile from my home .

28 minutes ago, Nomad said:

No, Mrs was a bit off on her info, which is why this stuff is best left to the men. 

Its a bow hunting farm, you lease per day , two hunters max a day . Here’s their web site .

https://www.dadbowhuntingfarm.com/

pretty sure I know this exact spot,I  recognize the pond . The town hunt did really mess up my friends hunting on his adjacent land . I was the first successful hunter in the town hunt btw . Only did it year one . Rather drive to my spot and have it to myself , if I wanted a quick doe I did an afternoon by the town barn 1/2 mile from my home .

That seems...weird. I wonder what they want to charge for it each day.

As for OP I've been looking on and off at leasing for a few years. I can't find anybody to give me money. I live east of the city in the webster/penfield/fairport area. Land doesn't even go up for sale often in Walworth and not for great rates. Kind of sucks because west of Rochester there is a great deal more land at $2-3k/acre.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Keep,looking my buddy got 60 acres in Macedon for a really good price. Odd shaped ,limited access, with a step slope on one side . So no use to builders or farmers , his lawyer ,my Nephew called it scrub land . Low balled the owners , who bought it with stars in their eyes, dreaming of building a home on it .

heres 7 acres in Victor , this area has some great deer, 10 K ,landlocked but ,you must have access through other land . I know this area and am thinking for that price I may just jump on it . Have to look into access, but normally you have a right a way . Me walking in from across the rr Tracks is no big deal either .

This is 25 minutes from my home in Webster, I’ve driven past it hundreds of times going to my land .

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Landlocked-West-Main-St-S-Victor-NY-14564/2082972087_zpid/

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Nomad said:

Keep,looking my buddy got 60 acres in Macedon for a really good price. Odd shaped ,limited access, with a step slope on one side . So no use to builders or farmers , his lawyer ,my Nephew called it scrub land . Low balled the owners , who bought it with stars in their eyes, dreaming of building a home on it .

heres 7 acres in Victor , this area has some great deer, 10 K ,landlocked but ,you must have access through other land . I know this area and am thinking for that price I may just jump on it . Have to look into access, but normally you have a right a way . Me walking in from across the rr Tracks is no big deal either .

This is 25 minutes from my home in Webster, I’ve driven past it hundreds of times going to my land .

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Landlocked-West-Main-St-S-Victor-NY-14564/2082972087_zpid/

Careful of that. Around the time I bought my first pice in the early 90’s, a guy from Rochester bought a landlocked piece behind me from a tax auction. Pretty big, over 100 acres. No right of way came with the property. They approached every boundary landowner for a ROW and we all said no, because we all hunt  our properties and didn’t want the intrusion. They resorted to trespassing for a few years until we had the police shut that down. Then about 10 years ago they tried leasing hunting rights to another couple of guys who did the same trespassing thing until we had that shut down again.

Almost 30 years later, no access was ever gained and the property is essentially worthless. He’s probably paid 40-50k in property taxes since he bought it and without a helicopter or jet-pack he could never even walk on it legally. He passed away a couple of years ago and his widow owns it hoping for a gas drilling payday someday.

The railroad track crossing idea probably isn’t sure fire either as I think it a misdemeanor to trespass on railroad track property.

I would advise if you buy it, secure your ROW from a neighboring property before you purchase it, and get it legally locked up in a deed. Handshake agreements can go bad and if the ROW property changes hands, a deeded access can secure it for you.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Nomad said:

I saw that but personally wouldn't want to deal with it (land locked).

A beautiful 77 acre parcel just came up on ridge road in clarkson for $125k. Not tons of road frontage, but definitely enough, and a well shaped parcel. That's under $2k/acre.

West of the city people really have their pick of land, at $2k/acre all day long. Unfortunately east of the city the expansion here puts a lot of pressure on prices and availability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Careful of that. Around the time I bought my first pice in the early 90’s, a guy from Rochester bought a landlocked piece behind me from a tax auction. Pretty big, over 100 acres. No right of way came with the property. They approached every boundary landowner for a ROW and we all said no, because we all hunt  our properties and didn’t want the intrusion. They resorted to trespassing for a few years until we had the police shut that down. Then about 10 years ago they tried leasing hunting rights to another couple of guys who did the same trespassing thing until we had that shut down again.

Almost 30 years later, no access was ever gained and the property is essentially worthless. He’s probably paid 40-50k in property taxes since he bought it and without a helicopter or jet-pack he could never even walk on it legally. He passed away a couple of years ago and his widow owns it hoping for a gas drilling payday someday.

The railroad track crossing idea probably isn’t sure fire either as I think it a misdemeanor to trespass on railroad track property.

I would advise if you buy it, secure your ROW from a neighboring property before you purchase it, and get it legally locked up in a deed. Handshake agreements can go bad and if the ROW property changes hands, a deeded access can secure it for you.

This is good advice, and is why frontage is a critical aspect of a property. Any written offer could include you first gaining ROW.

As for the guy with the hundred, I'm surprised none of the neighbors around it decided to pick it up at some point. IMO that's the only value in landlocked land; those who are abutting it can buy it on the cheap. I saw several acres in penfield last year going for almost nothing--a tiny fraction of market value of acreage her--but it was landlocked. I wonder if any of the homeowners who's lines attached to it picked it up on the cheap. That's like finding a needle in a haystack/lottery win if you're into trying to acquire land.

I'm not surprised the widow is hanging onto it. I've seen lots of lands owners act like complete imbeciles over the land, Basically like Smeagel with his ring; they think their land is going to lead them to great riches and wealth. As you said, look at all the property taxes and the opportunity cost that guy suffered. Had he just taken that money and dropped it into the stock market and come back 20-30 years later it would be worth tons of money.

We're under contract now on a small building lot and looking at the history of it I'm sure the seller has been bent over the coals on it. He bought the land, developed it, sat on it for years dealing with a builder/developer, etc, etc. Meanwhile the stock market has gone stratospheric and all he has to show for it is reams of pages of his lawyer doing things and more reams of him paying taxes over the years.

I assume that no jurisdictions would even allow land to be split apart anymore if it's landlocked (?). Some of the property lines I've seen on maps are asinine. 

Edited by Core

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Do the surrounding neighbors go on the property? It would be super F-d up if they did.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Do the surrounding neighbors go on the property? It would be super F-d up if they did.

To my knowledge, no. We are all pretty respectful of our boundaries. It's mostly treated as a 118 acre sanctuary that we all surround. I'll admit to crossing maybe 30 yards on it to retrieve a doe a couple of years ago. I called the contact number I had at the time and it was no longer a good number. I could see the doe laying there from my property line and I wasn't going to let it go to waste. Especially after they F'd up many of our opening mornings by trespassing in across my place with their quads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Core said:

As for the guy with the hundred, I'm surprised none of the neighbors around it decided to pick it up at some point.

We did. He wanted like $2000/acre and to keep mineral and timber rights along with a temporary ROW agreement for timber harvesting at some point in the future. To this day the guy was the biggest a-hole I've ever met. You could get road fronted property for $1000 to $1500 per acre with all rights back at that time. You still can if you look hard enough. 

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

Jerry I agree , I’d need a written row before ever buying . But most states isn’t there an easement by necessity , in land locked cases ? Friends owned land locked property on Black Lake, new neighbors then tried to block them from crossing their land, they had to go to court, but they won .

Ive hunted BLM land out west that was completely land locked , there’s  always a row .

That piece in Victor I just learned  , is no hunting as Victor considers a bow a firearm, and not allowed to discharge in village  limits .

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

But most states isn’t there an easement by necessity , in land locked cases ?

He tried various legal methods for over 20 years with no remedy. He even tried to sue the town for closing a road back in the 1930's. That road came in from an currently existing road to his property. I think he piled up quite a few legal bills over the years. When he bought it at the tax auction, he outbid a neighboring landowner (who has also since passed away) and I'm told it was clearly marked landlocked with no ROW. Buyer beware kind of thing. He picked the whole thing up for less than $20k.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Jerry I agree , I’d need a written row before ever buying . But most states isn’t there an easement by necessity , in land locked cases ? Friends owned land locked property on Black Lake, new neighbors then tried to block them from crossing their land, they had to go to court, but they won .

Ive hunted BLM land out west that was completely land locked , there’s  always a row .

That piece in Victor I just learned  , is no hunting as Victor considers a bow a firearm, and not allowed to discharge in village  limits .

Easements by necessity and prescription are more complicated than the names suggest.  As a general rule, if you bought the land knowing that is already landlocked, you will likely have a tough time establishing either.

• Like 1

Found this on FB the other day. Came across this thread and it reminded me of it. Seems pretty cheap and looking on google maps it could be a decent spot.

a0c8f07cba39d0e5a5e2ab58ae159fd8.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

We did. He wanted like $2000/acre and to keep mineral and timber rights along with a temporary ROW agreement for timber harvesting at some point in the future. To this day the guy was the biggest a-hole I've ever met. You could get road fronted property for $1000 to $1500 per acre with all rights back at that time. You still can if you look hard enough. 

lol, what was he thinking. Why the f would you buy that land if he can then send in loggers at any time, haha

You know I do whine about land prices and they are not cheap but we're still spoiled. Imagine living in the UK, for example. The idea of getting your own 30 acres of land for $60k to hunt within a reasonable driving distance of a major metro area is a pipe dream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Easements by necessity and prescription are more complicated than the names suggest.  As a general rule, if you bought the land knowing that is already landlocked, you will likely have a tough time establishing either.

Yep I would have said the same. If you go in eyes open on a piece of land that you know is landlocked you cannot then go to court pleading ignorance and whining about it after the fact. Now I bet if you had done due diligence and it appeared you had a right of way but some legal minutiae had technically invalidated it I suspect you'd have an easier time in court.

My parents bought a piece of land around 10 years ago or so. At the time the land came only with a right of way, with no power/internet, etc. Not long after they bought it they gained that as well. Previously had intended to run it off-grid. They were blissfully ignorant about what it actually takes to run an off-grid properly, so good thing power was allowed to it later on.

Edited by Core

32 minutes ago, Core said:

lol, what was he thinking. Why the f would you buy that land if he can then send in loggers at any time, haha

Actually now that I remember a bit better after some morning coffee, I believe what he wanted to do was timber it off hard before it changed hands to me and I would give him a right of way for logging equipment to access his property so he could do that. And he would keep 100% of the mineral rights as well.

Among other things, I was called unreasonable for rejecting his price and requirements.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1