On what percentage of your hit deer do you achieve complete pass through?

Core

On what percent of deer hits do you achieve complete pass-through?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. On what percent of deer hits do you achieve complete pass-through?

• 0-30%
    • 31-60%
    • 61-90%
    • 91-100%

Answers are not public.

I was inclined to add a bunch of sub-category answers to include poundage of bow, broad head type, and arrow weight, but there could end up being too many answers, so if you have any insight (e.g. you went from 350 to 600 grain arrows and now you're shooting through trees :)) feel free to post.

I'll start. I've yet to ever get complete pass-through, which I suppose we have to define as the arrow not only making two holes but exiting fully through the second one. 

Of the half dozen or so deer I've hit with draw weight of 50-60 lbs and mechanical heads I've never even made an exit hole. This includes a few deer that have piled up in short distance due to double-lung. I presume the arrow lost its energy on the other side of the ribs in those cases.

Edited by Core

It's all about where you hit them aim. To far forward and you will hit opposite leg or shoulder, through the ribcage only and you can go through every time with 35lb bow. I use to aim to far forward learned quickly where to actually aim made a huge difference with recovery

I am getting pass throughs consistently with a 50lb trad bow.  Heavy arrows help.  You should be getting pass throughs or you may need to tune better or change your head or add some arrow weight.  Only 2 times I can remember where I didn't get a pass through: (1) the arrow was lodged in spine after deflecting off ribs and (2) doe spun on shot and entered in front of leg and traveled length of body into cavity.  Both dead in sight though.  I have had a few times where shooting my slow trad bows (much slower than your compound), the deer spun on impact and broke the arrow going through but they still left two holes.

• Like 1

When I shot a muzzy broadhead I got a pass through close to 100%. I switched to grim reapers and rarely got a pass through . After a couple years of this I switched back to a fixed head , but missed the bigger blood trails and switched to a rage and with these I get a pass through as long as I dont hit a shoulder on the way in or out.

Edited by ncountry

I shoot 340 arrows at 64#s with grim reaper whitetail broadheads.  I would say 65-70 percent.  (Had to think about it).  But some of those times I didn't was because it hit the outside leg or shoulder.  I wouldn't say success is always a pass thru as a gut shot is an easy pass thru, but cert not the perfect shot.  And also depends on distance and angle. 

82lbs 30” draw of the 40ish deer I’ve shot with this or similar setup I be had 1 not pass through and it hit far shoulder.

Last year after shoulder surgery I was shooting 48lbs with 27” draw length both complete pass throughs.

If you’re 0 for 6 I’m guessing your bow is out of tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

82lbs 30” draw of the 40ish deer I’ve shot with this or similar setup I be had 1 not pass through and it hit far shoulder.

Last year after shoulder surgery I was shooting 48lbs with 27” draw length both complete pass throughs.

I didn't even know bows went that high. Remind me not to arm wrestle you.

At 82 #s you could shoot thru a taco truck. Wow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

How does one go from a 30 inch draw to 27 ? Unless you were way long .

As long as I avoid the first and or off shoulder or the spine.. pass through every time typically. I have sent a rage through both shoulder blades of a couple doe.. but i dont expect that ever. My rage heads on a 395gr total weight shaft will bury in the ground on a double lung behind the shoulder nearly every time. 

Edited by LET EM GROW

59 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I think my bow is good. Paper testing a couple years ago showed it shooting straight at various distances, and it shoots very consistent groups.

All of these deer have been with a mechanical and I'm switching to fixed this year.

I would say 85-90% of the time. Ive had a couple of shots where the arrow hangs up at the fletchings on the off side and where the deer took off at impact and snapped the arrow in half. I didnt count those as complete pass throughs, even though the broadhead put holes in both sides of the deer. If you count those as pass throughs, then Im at 100%. I have yet to put just a single hole in a deer

Honestly out of the 8 deer that ive shot with my bow, only 3 were pass throughs. I always ended up putting the shot in a bad spot for some reason so I usually hit some type of big bone. One of the reasons I have been thinking of switching to fixed heads is the increase in penetration. Im shooting somewhere in the 60's with a 28" draw 

• Like 1

i shoot different setups that vary in arrow weight and poundage. all compounds. haven't taken a deer yet with a trad bow they seem to hit with what i'm using. i've got a lot that had the arrow hang up at fletching but head made it all the way through with two holes. more often the arrow passed through entirely and kept going. haven't spined a deer yet and haven't hit the off shoulder direct enough or in the right spot to prevent a pass through. even had a doe spin and arrow likely deflect where it went in just behind the front shoulder and out the far side of the hind quarter. still the arrow was hanging mostly out.

I seem to get a lot of slightly quartering away shots that hit far shoulder or high leg bone after going through the lungs. Kinda hurts my pass through percentage. I've taken a couple dozen with the bow and honestly don't know how many pass through but I would guess half.