On what percentage of your hit deer do you achieve complete pass through?

Core

On what percent of deer hits do you achieve complete pass-through?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. On what percent of deer hits do you achieve complete pass-through?

• 0-30%
    • 31-60%
    • 61-90%
    • 91-100%

Of (6) deer that I killed with 55 and 65 pound compound bows, (3) were pass-thru and all those were with fixed broadheads.  I only used a mechanical on (1) of them, and it did not pass thru, but it did put the deer down within 40 yards.  (3) of (4) that I killed with my 150 pound / 300 fps entry-level crossbow were pass-thru and all of those were with mechanical broadheads.  All of crossbow deer expired within 40 yards from where they took the bolts.   That adds up to 60 % pass-thru. 

The only one that did not pass thru with the crossbow was a bit beyond the effective range of that "junior" model (59 yards).   I underestimated the range a bit and I only got 8" of penetration with the bolt (fortunately in a good spot).   The penetration achieved at a 17 yard range was incredible however, once passing diagonally thru the body of a 2.5 year old "quartering to" buck, entering just behind the shoulder blade on the inboard side, and exiting the ham on the outboard side, then burying a few inches into the dirt.  That was the only one that I saw drop dead, but the mechanical made a bit of a mess of the gutting job.           

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 7:29 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you’re 0 for 6 I’m guessing your bow is out of tune.

I answered this before with a negative, but I found recently that despite my bow shooting nice groups out to 50, when I'd put a montec on there--and it hitting very close to my field tips--it was hitting the target at wild, crazy angles, like off by 10 degrees even at far distances, which told me it was badly out of tune.

I finally decided to try bareshaft tuning and now out to 14 yards (basement), with no fletching at all the arrows are hitting pretty consistently straight on. Before adjusting the whisker I found they were consistently nock left impacts on my foam target with the bare shaft. Maybe it really was out of tune badly!

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

I answered this before with a negative, but I found recently that despite my bow shooting nice groups out to 50, when I'd put a montec on there--and it hitting very close to my field tips--it was hitting the target at wild, crazy angles, like off by 10 degrees even at far distances, which told me it was badly out of tune.
I finally decided to try bareshaft tuning and now out to 14 yards (basement), with no fletching at all the arrows are hitting pretty consistently straight on. Before adjusting the whisker I found they were consistently nock left impacts on my foam target with the bare shaft. Maybe it really was out of tune badly!

IMO that’s the only downfall of the biscuit, it corrects bad arrow flight and gives a false reading through paper.
Once its setup just right though you can’t beat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I wasn’t going to argue with you but it’s really the reason for your lack of passthroughs. Most people don’t realize how important a properly tuned bow for kinetic energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I wasn’t going to argue with you but it’s really the reason for your lack of passthroughs. Most people don’t realize how important a properly tuned bow for kinetic energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can certainly appreciate that if the arrow hits at a bad angle (say 10 degrees) a vast amount of energy is being lost as the side of the arrow pushes into the target instead of all behind the head of the arrow. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 9:16 AM, Core said:

I can certainly appreciate that if the arrow hits at a bad angle (say 10 degrees) a vast amount of energy is being lost as the side of the arrow pushes into the target instead of all behind the head of the arrow. 

Glad you got your bow fine tuned,it is kind of fun,isn't it?

• Like 1

Just as an example, I bought a new pse last year and set it up like a shop would - to spec, centershot, confirmed DW, DL, ATA and brace height.  Shot it that way and never hunted with it.  It shot and grouped ok.

Yesterday I decided to start tuning it at 9pm. First bareshaft was 6-8” left of fletched at 20.  I then was up until 3am tuning, tearing it down, reshimmed it 3 times until I finally got near perfect bateshaft flight out to 30yds along with fletched and BHs.  

Could I have hunted with it as it was.  Probably and it would probably kill deer.  But I was losing a lot of energy with less than perfect arrow flight and I was not convinced pass throughs were assured with mechanicals.  Pass throughs are expected now.  And it should shoot any BH perfect.  It’s worth spending the time if you have the ability. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I really need to tune my bow it's out of whack this season. Will likely post some questions 

I went through some struggles on my bow,learned a lot. I dont own a press,but anything short of that i tweaked and then had the bow shop shim my cam. 

I also did some draw length and form adjustments.

I had 3 out of three pass throughs until last season. One doe i think ducked now that i have been thinking it for a year,hit her high shoulder/spine and failed to get another arrow in her.