Skunking

Robhuntandfish

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

A BB gun? Dude, youre gonna get sprayed.

i can stand around the corner of house about 25 yards away from shed and hole and thru a fence.   Should be covered good.  And am good with pellets out to 30 yards with it.  But nobody messes with my boy!  (too residential for a real gun) #Vendetta!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i can stand around the corner of house about 25 yards away from shed and hole and thru a fence.   Should be covered good.  And am good with pellets out to 30 yards with it.  But nobody messes with my boy!  (too residential for a real gun) #Vendetta!

Hope I never get on YOUR bad side!!!   

Ol' Mr. skunk better relocate fast, because that relentless sodbuster RHF, is planning an early demise for you. And it won't be pretty. But could be pretty stinky!  We will see who has the last laugh in this epic saga! 

Stay tuned folks!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Is tonight the night?!?! Any chance we can get a LIVE FEED?!?! I will gladly watch this over anything else in TV and even skip back to school night for my kids!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupid camper is still out behind shed. Maybe tomorrow night.  GF is busy so might as well get in trouble.  Sorry though no tech here for live feed .  Lol I don't even have a computer at home, just my phone. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Ok here's the update.  Smoke em out plan was a bust.  Must be he wasn't in there at the time.  But if he does go in there prob won't now.  Put the can in there and sent it .  Waited with the screen on the back door open but nothing came out. 

Plan B is now in play.  Order is in to the ACME company and should be in this week..... Stay tuned..... 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hopefully,   Pepe' le Pew has moved on......That would be the best  result, because TRUST me my Good Friend, if you kill him on your property you WILL have a big stink for quite a while...Back in my trapping days I killed a number of skunks, and never figured out a way to kill them without them spraying as they died...Shoot them in the head and they spray..Shoot them in the body and they spray...Club them and they spray....The only way I know to get them out scentless ( and it is a gamble but usually works) is to catch them in a live trap, approach them VERY slowly and deliberately, place a blanket  over the trap, and then take them , VERY slowly and deliberately, to the nearest pond or creek and give them swimming lessons, in the trap and at least a foot underwater...

24 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

.Back in my trapping days I killed a number of skunks, and never figured out a way to kill them without them spraying as they died...Shoot them in the head and they spray..Shoot them in the body and they spray...Club them and they spray....The only way I know to get them out scentless ( and it is a gamble but usually works) is to catch them in a live trap, approach them VERY slowly and deliberately, place a blanket  over the trap, and then take them , VERY slowly and deliberately, to the nearest pond or creek and give them swimming lessons, in the trap and at least a foot underwater...

I have caught about a dozen thru the years, in box traps that I set in the corn which are intended for coons.   I have heard about the blanket/drown trick, and a buddy from work used it with 100 % success, in an urban area where discharge of firearms was prohibited.    I never tried that for three reasons 1) Gunfire is legal at my place, 2) I have no interest in skinning a skunk and selling it's hide, 3) I am scared to get that close to a live skunk.   

My method has also been 100 % successful.   I normally carry my Ruger 10/22 when checking the traps.   If I find a coon in one, I go back for a shotgun (12 or 16 gauge).   I stand about 15 yards upwind and aim for the center of the head of the skunk in the trap.  At that range, the pattern (from a modified or I/C choke) is dense enough to put the lights out, prior to spray release, but not tight enough to damage the trap.   

Each species gets a unique "dispatch".  Coons are the easiest, with a single .22 shot, to an x formed between the eyes and the ears.   Possums get that and a second shot thru the lungs as they often "play possum", without that second shot (they have a tiny pea-sized brain).