Dumb luck I call it..

Zag

So I'm working on moving some stands around today. First stand I'm moving is a 15ft ladder stand, so stupid me climbs right up decide I can take the strap off since the bar half way up the ladder is tied to the tree part way down and I have a small tree I can hang onto as I wiggle down the steps, well during the second step down the ladder stand took a twist and down I went landing on my back. The only thing that went thru my mind mid fall was I have my phone on me, crash and a loud grown on landing. Not sure how far down I went but I know it was over 10ft, heck I'm 6'4. Got super lucky!!

Seem to be ok so far, not sore yet. No signs of anything yet. So moral of the story don't skip steps, normally I tie a ratchet around the ladder and the tree part way up but I thought I'd be ok.

Be safe!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

Ever use the ground swivel spikes to raise and lower?

Spikes plus some rope or a ratchet strap make the process much safer especially when it's a one man job.

Glad you're ok and hoping nothing shows itself later.

Never heard of them, I'll check em out thanks

glad to hear you are OK man!!!   I had a similar thing happen to me about 20 years ago...   I was not as luck and fractured my wrist really bad and ended up with surgery and pins..   Even then I felt lucky...   the new spot looks great...   It looks like you are really making a lot of progress developing your land..   well done!!

• Like 1

I use the long raising straps on ladders to tie off each side of the ladder to another tree.  That ways there's 3 points tied off about 6 feet up to keep exactly what happened to you from going down.  Had a couple close calls with stands, but never fallen.  If at all possible I get my dad to come with, even if it's just for sofa-vising.  Too often wind up doing it solo though.  Glad you're ok, even just a deep brone bruise can ruin a season.

• Like 1

Holy smokes....so glad you are ok.  You really were lucky man!  You might feel sore tonight though! I try to never put up. check, or take down a ladder stand, without at least a ratchet strap around the middle. Or to have a safety line installed. But I too have been careless over the years and took chances, I shouldn't have.

I hate to think how badly this could have been for you. Let this be a lesson for us all.

• Like 1

glad to hear nothing happened. a lot of stuff to potentially land on at the forest floor or parts of your body to take the brunt force that would've made the outcome way worse. seems i try to use a safety harness with tree strap or linemans belt every chance i get.

• Like 1

My buddy came up with the best idea ever. We have a pole saw for trimming lanes. When we move or take down a stand we just cut the ratchet from the ground with a pole saw and use a new one. They are $3.00 to replace.  Well worth it in my opinion not to take the chance while your up there.  And chances are they should be replaced anyway. And we always put up an extra strap on the foot platform as well as a backup in case. 

When we put one up we have 2 sets of ratchets attached before we go to the top.  

Glad you are ok!  Helluva scare.

• Like 1

I did one Sunday put up alone. I put the steps along a second tree ao I have the support bar locked in then go up another few feet and ratchet off the the second tree. Then I climb up and ratchet the top. Only way I'll do it alone.

Unless I am using these. https://x-stand.com/product/the-duke/ it has a lock jaw system. Unfortunately I only have one of these out of my 7 ladders.....

• Like 1

Glad you are ok. It is a dicey thing to do by yourself. I have done it and it isn't pretty. Best way I have found to lower or even raise one is to use long ratchets as a temporary back support. You know those little ropes they give you to tie to the stand, go around the back of the tree and then attach to the ladder below the mid support bar? They make good straps to raise the stand too. 

Attach the straps to platform or behind the seat. 

place foot of ladder where it about goes. 

use the straps to raise it up, adjust location and step ladder into ground. 

attach mid support

cross straps behind the tree and attach to the ladder just below mid support. Tighten them up a bit. 

cross fingers and go up to put on the top strap.

come down and attach the cheap ropes they provide for the back cross ties.

The back cross straps really do make it pretty solid. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I forgot my name and crapped my pants for awhile jk. I keep thinking about the endless bad situations that could have come from it, sadly just before I said to myself this is sketchy. I've been tossing down Advil as Im feeling it in my shoulder and neck now. Crazy lucky!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Glad you are ok. It is a dicey thing to do by yourself. I have done it and it isn't pretty. Best way I have found to lower or even raise one is to use long ratchets as a temporary back support. You know those little ropes they give you to tie to the stand, go around the back of the tree and then attach to the ladder below the mid support bar? They make good straps to raise the stand too. 

Attach the straps to platform or behind the seat. 

place foot of ladder where it about goes. 

use the straps to raise it up, adjust location and step ladder into ground. 

attach mid support

cross straps behind the tree and attach to the ladder just below mid support. Tighten them up a bit. 

cross fingers and go up to put on the top strap.

come down and attach the cheap ropes they provide for the back cross ties.

The back cross straps really do make it pretty solid. 

I put up most of my stands alone . I do the same thing . sometimes I use rope instead of the straps . I didn't get old by being careless . I have some of those ground swivel spikes in the garage somewhere and gave a set to one of my sons . Neither of us have ever used them . 

• Like 2