Liability insurance.

Skillet

Should I be carrying a liability policy on my hunting land? Does anyone here have it?

Not sure what a landowner is liable for in NY, but it seems like a good idea. 

A little paranoid because our homeowner's got maxed out this summer due to a dog bite. Would hate to have something happen at camp and wind up losing it.

18 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Should I be carrying a liability policy on my hunting land? Does anyone here have it?

Not sure what a landowner is liable for in NY, but it seems like a good idea. 

A little paranoid because our homeowner's got maxed out this summer due to a dog bite. Would hate to have something happen at camp and wind up losing it.

are you worried about another hunter suing you on your land? I'm not sure of NY law, but i know years ago when i hunted CT that Connecticut law provides protection from liability to landowners who allow, without a fee, the recreational use of their property.

As I understand it,  New York has laws that protect  landowners from  such lawsuits....The exception would you be  if you charge people to hunt on your land....Also  GROSSLY negligent  conditions, such as wire hung head high over 4 wheeler trails, might be an exception..

However, if you give your neighbor permission to hunt and he shoots himself,  falls out of his treestand, or otherwise gets injured, you are not liable..

• Like 1

^^ True, but not something I'd want to test in court!??! I had a rider added to my home owner's policy for my hunting property for almost a min $$. 

Maybe one of our resident attorneys can chime in! No disrespect to them, but there are others that would jump at the chance of getting their ~30/40% of a settlement...

First off someone has to get hurt pretty bad for a lawyer to take the case and They will only do that if they know you have the money to pay up .

If someone gets  seriously hurt on your property  you are getting sued .  It's just matter of how much  that depends  on how good a bs artist the  lawyer  they get is . 

I already had this happen to me and the person was trespassing technically. Does not matter .

Only thing that mattered is that they got hurt on my property. 

Lucky I had insurance.  

Even if you put up signs every place they can sue anyway  my lawyer said . The signs only help in that if it goes to trial  the jury may side with you no guarantee of that . The problem is by that point legal fees add up so even when you win you lose  . 

It does not matter what the person was doing on your property. 

If they get hurt really bad and a lawyer finds out you have the money to pay you are getting sued .

But if you don't  have  two dimes to rub together .

I wouldn't worry because no lawyer will take there  case . 

Edited by Hunter007