Knee replacement how long until able to go hunting

Hunter007

I had my left knee replaced in the spring ( partial knee replacement ) . I was walking with crutches for a few days and then went to a cane . I called the cane my "Pity Stick" as I got sympathy when I used it . Didn't bother with Handicap Parking as I really didn't need it . Caught hell from my PT Therapist when he saw me driving my Chevy ST stick shift truck . I told him the surgeon told me I would be able to drive after 6 weeks . I said it has been 6 weeks . He discharged me .

Anyway , the secret is to do the PT and push yourself even if it hurts . No pain - No gain ! Recovery all depends on the individual . I waited until spring to have my knee done so I had plenty of time before Archery Season . My surgeon told me no more ladders and I said ," how do you think I will get up and down in my ladder stands " ! He just shrugged .........

• Like 3

He had it 3 days ago was up same day on Walker  he is 81 .

The Man is a still strong as bull  moves  and looks better then most 65 year olds I know 

That is him climbing a 30 foot ladder early in the summer , this with a bad knee and a  year after beating colon cancer having 1 foot of intestines removed just   9 months ago  and doing 6 months of chemo . Cancer free now . 

I got him a hunting license  today when I got mine hopeful he will be able to use it . 

20190712_101348.jpg

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 3

I have to agree with everybody here saying Push the PT ! I broke my knee in 3 places several years ago on active duty and pushed myself through the PT even though is was painful , the more you push ( within reason ) the better the outcome . Being a good son I'm sure you'll drag whatever he shoots !

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 6:16 PM, GreeneHunter said:

I have to agree with everybody here saying Push the PT ! I broke my knee in 3 places several years ago on active duty and pushed myself through the PT even though is was painful , the more you push ( within reason ) the better the outcome . Being a good son I'm sure you'll drag whatever he shoots !

Did yours look more or less like this after operation?

I'm always the drag guy on hunts with  dad.  he is the butcher.  Took this yesterday he is in the rehab place right now says he is not leaving until knee is pretty much close to full functioning. 

He lucked  out got into the place everyone wants to go to place was someone's mantion  at one time I was told .looks more like a 5 star hotel then a rebilation center .  And the grounds  have some pretty nice bucks running around on  the property  I know because it is close to me not huntible  no hunting around there .  

20190907_163720.jpg

20190907_194725.jpg

20190906_180201.jpg

20190906_180208.jpg