Baseball, a great man ,and handicapped players

Nomad

https://rochestermiraclefield.org/about-us/our-story/

Watch the Video as well .

Ron is a friend of mine, and I wish to share the “ backstory .” Ron was a Rochester firefighter , husband ,father, bodybuilder and ,runner , his world changed at the top of a ladder 30 plus years ago  . It was a well involved house fire with a woman hanging out a second floor window, Ron placed the ladder, and the first floor window blew out and it became a race of flames and firefighter up the side of the house  , the woman panicked and jumped to Ron . He caught her and fell to the ground . He landed on his back .

His heal shattered like an egg as well as his back , they put his back back together with two six inch rods and some bone from his hip . He spent the next six months or year I can’t recall now , in a body cast . He’s had multiple operations since ,and he looks pretty good, but he lives with pain .

He was a good baseball player and his Dad was well known in Little League for decades so keeping in the game was a natural for him  . Ron started what I believe was the first “ Challenger “ team in this area , he also coached a blind baseball team. But his real accomplishment was Miracle Field . Read about it watch the video ,it makes me emotional and proud , not once in all the interviews has he talked about himself , I believe he’s purposely kept that part out of it to keep the focus on the players and others .

• Like 7

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Ron is a special man! That video is amazing. You firefighters are certainly a special bunch. Thanks for sharing this with us Larry.

Thanks ,but trust me we have our share of lazy, malcontents, and whackos too   .