Encounter with a neighbor today

Don_C

2 hours ago, rob-c said:

I had the same problem ( with no fire arm involved ) with our new lease we picked up last year. Neighbor comes right over and says I keep your parking spot mowed so I can hunt on your lease, the last leasers  let me. 

I say, well you can stop mowing as your not going to be hunting on our lease, well he says the ones before let me, and the dug road leads to my brothers property. 

So I preceded to tell him he will not be hunting this land and further more his name is not on the lease papers and he will not be covered under the liability insurance, etc .. 

i installed a (security ) game camera on the dug road this year as there’s really no other way up the hill. 

Your probably going to have to be a dick to this guy to get your point across.  I had words again  with the neighbor this summer when we went to hang stands, and again I had to remind him he’s not allowed on this property. 

Good luck and make sure your always packin.. 

What is with people? Lease costs you hundreds/year if not a grand or two per person and he just thinks mowing the spot entitles him to using it?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Core said:

What is with people? Lease costs you hundreds/year if not a grand or two per person and he just thinks mowing the spot entitles him to using it?

I hear ya , the entitlement mentality in this country is getting out of hand.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Core said:

That's why I would contact the law about this and would not let him off easy, most especially since he had a gun in hand.  I can almost guarantee that trying to be nice with this guy will not work.  If he was a nice guy he would have never approached you the way he did.  Just because he lives there and hunted on this land before does not give him the right to trespass now since you are leasing it. He isn't paying for this lease and has ZERO rights to the land.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FatBoyD said:

Wolc.. I agree to a point. This guy approached me with aggression and a gun. So Im going to post the hell out of it now. He said he even invited the local Amish to hunt it last year so the problems will compound if I dont make it clear that we are serious. As far as he goes i do agree, my son just called me and suggested we take a case of beer down tomorrow and try to be friendly with him. Lets face it, he lives there, we do not. I will reinforce respecting lines, and will call the Sheriff to get something on record, but im not battling this guy. We have 94 acres of amazing oak woods. Deer are everywhere, one of the nice neighbors showed me a pic if a 22 pt non typical he shot last year on our hill. It is well worth it to get along. But i wont be bullied either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The word "Amish" would have me on notice, almost as bad as that backwoods, deliverance, "if I divorce my wife will she still be my sister?" neighbor ya got there.  Not saying there aren't good Amish, but for the most part they are some trespassing fools.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have been dealing with crazy, criminal, drunk, poachers high on drugs for 46 years. An entire family of them. I have spoken about them on this and other sites before.

Short story is they threatened us and we had one of them put in prison for a long stretch. They are not supposed to be carrying firearms but they do. We even bought land on the next mountain to get away from them and last year they fired a shot in my brothers direction across a highway on our new land.

If you go down the road of involving the police it will never end. And you will be in fear of them permanently.

Not telling you what to do just explaining to you what will happen. We don’t hunt the land adjacent to theirs alone anymore. We are always strapped with long guns, handguns and belt knives. 

• Like 4

I agree with others that say this guy is trying to intimidate/bully you. Sounds like a bad situation, especially with the hunting season so close. You are paying for a lease and it’s a shame you have to deal with this

• Like 1

Biggest problem with leasing- this should be handled by the land owner but in my past experience years ago leasing, they couldn’t care less. Like you said, deer ain’t worth it-you pay for a lease for peace of mind and this doesn’t sound very peaceful- sux

• Like 1

Well this guy is def a tool. But it looks like he is trying to intimidate you but in reality he isn't gonna shoot anyone.  That being said he sure seems like he might think of taking a swing or pulling a gun up in intimidation if this got heated.  

If you get more pics of tresspassing  and issues arise go right to a sherriff office and notify landowner. They might make a house call to speak with this fella.  And might already know him from other issues.  Folks like this they usually do.  Document everything.  Watch your equipment.  And it's a good idea to stop and try to be the friendly guy. But make sure he knows no one is to be on the property other than you and you and the landowner will press charges on anyone. 

That sucks for you for sure when the place sounds so great .  

There was another fella on this forum with a similar issue and he stopped and talked with the guy and the guy realized he was in the wrong. Hopefully that works out for you as well.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Wonder if this might be a typical scenario when leasing from a lumber company??

Clearly, with an absentee landowner, the neighbors might feel free to encroach at will.

What Moog suggested is the correct/legal path, but getting the lumber co to confront this bully neighbor probably won't happen. They have their own agenda!

You've got bigger kahones than I do if carrying a sidearm for security is essential and potentially ducking bullets is a high probability, all in the pursuit of hunting. No deer or bear is worth risking life or limb!

Good luck!!!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, FatBoyD said:

Yep. He said as much. I didnt want to post this because i am not 100% convinced its true, but the neighbor to the north sent me this pic. He said its zoomed in from a pic his wife took with her phone in their yard.
2bb985474ca89fbca96fa6df61fb0d89.jpg

That!!!!  Is a trophy bear. 

• Like 2

Well We are down here sighting in with broadheads, no sign of the jerk, but two other neighbors stopped to say hi. Nice people, both said that guy is a good dude. I said nothing about yesterday. Maybe he was just feeling me out, time will tell.

Good news is that the Magnus heads are awesome! Pic below of my 5966b45c649c4d8dafd3cd83e55d18fe.jpgFirst shot at 30 yards!

My son is just about dialed in with his new Vertix as well.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

Well We are down here sighting in with broadheads, no sign of the jerk, but two other neighbors stopped to say hi. Nice people, both said that guy is a good dude. I said nothing about yesterday. Maybe he was just feeling me out, time will tell.

That’s a good sign. Hopefully the brandishing thing is a big mistake on his part and he’ll be a respectful boundary neighbor. I’d keep a couple of cheapie trailcams near your line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

That’s a good sign. Hopefully the brandishing thing is a big mistake on his part and he’ll be a respectful boundary neighbor. I’d keep a couple of cheapie trailcams near your line.

Might want to hang a couple of broken Trail Cam's also , baiting Humans is Legal !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chef said:

I would buy a cheap ladder stand put it in sight of his stands on your land facing your land.
Hide a trail cam with a view of the stand and see what happens if he does anything you haven evidence

Maybe .

Friend had issue with a neighbor . One day he climbed down after climbing up in the dark ,his tree is sawed most of the way through! His camera nearby was set to video , shows neighbor walking past with a chainsaw , off camera you hear it starting up, and cutting something .

DEC said no clear evidence, refused to act .

• Confused 1

On 9/7/2019 at 5:44 PM, FatBoyD said:

I have no problem with anyone being on the line as long as they are not shooting in at us. He already made it clear that he shoots our way and thinks its a problem if we put stands on our side anywhere near him. I am going to contact the lumber company on Monday and let them know as well. I am also having a very large and very official looking sign made for the gate.

The last thing i want to do is have any kind of confrontation so I will always remain calm and if I need to I will call the sheriff or dec. in fact I may tomorrow anyway. He basically threatened me with a gun in his hand today. Twice. Not putting up with it. His anger over the other other neighbor to our south is amazing. He was trying to shoot across the corner of his land into our land and thinks the other landowners are the problem.

i think you're doing all the right things with signs and playing it cool, but I also agree that he was threatening you and you should document that now as it'll help you later. Sounds like he has had free reign in the past so this new lease of yours sucks for him. 

There's a funny thing we hunters do too. We own or lease like 40 acres and always put stands on the boundaries lol. It's a grass is greener mentality, when in fact that's often not the case at all. 

good luck

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 8:42 PM, rob-c said:

I hear ya , the entitlement mentality in this country is getting out of hand.    

i actually think the land entitlement thing is more a byproduct of boomers than it is millennial. A millennial most likely has on-x and agrees that he doesn't own the land and doesn't want conflict (haha). But a boomer has spent his whole life kind of hunting where he wants. There were a lot more farms and everybody just hunted. Then in the 90's QDM starts to take off and liability becomes an issue and there really isn't any open land anymore and these guys lose their shit when they lose their "free" access. Understandably they lose their shit. But there's a wrong way to lose your shit too.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Belo said:

i think you're doing all the right things with signs and playing it cool, but I also agree that he was threatening you and you should document that now as it'll help you later. Sounds like he has had free reign in the past so this new lease of yours sucks for him. 

There's a funny thing we hunters do too. We own or lease like 40 acres and always put stands on the boundaries lol. It's a grass is greener mentality, when in fact that's often not the case at all. 

good luck

Very true!  All of the spots on this piece of property that we are hunting are no where near the borders, in fact we are having trouble deciding where to hunt, trails are everywhere. I hope it ends up being as good as it seems and what the locals are saying.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

idk. 22 pointers and 600 pound bear with a ton of oaks? sounds like it's worth a lot of trouble to me haha

The oaks are 100% real, you can't walk two steps without stepping on them and the thick areas are all berries. It seems to be too good to be true. The 22pter and giant bears... I have no evidence of that, but one can hope.  One of my sons did say yesterday, "there is clearly a reason so many people want to be on this hill". Judging by how much the place is coveted by the locals who DO hunt, maybe it's true. The guy with the bear pic doesn't hunt, so I tend to believe him a bit more, he was a no BS kind of guy,  and everyone I have seen asked me if I have seen it yet.  

Yesterday we put signs up along the road and each side of the gate. All bordering neighbors now know we are there so there is not much more we can do. I'm sure we will run into people during gun season, which may not be the worst thing in the world, keep things moving around. No one seems to bow hunt the area which is what we are most interested in. We decided at this point we're not going to make an issue out of anything until we see what actually happens. We all like to talk $hit now and then, hopefully these guys will behave.

I do like the idea of putting a stand in front of theirs though, after some beers yesterday, one of my boys actually said, we simply need to buy some 4x8 sheets of plywood and put them on posts 5 feet in front of their stands at eye level! now THAT's funny... but honestly we don't even want to hunt the areas they are shooting into, it is literally 100 yards from where we will be parking and the second stand is another 100 yards in on the access road. There is a LOT of sign there ,but there is another 93 acres that is WAY better and where the deer are coming FROM. The real issue to me is shooting in AT us, it's a safety thing as much as anything else. Fingers crossed things just work themselves out.

• Like 8

people do crazy things. it sucks having people encroach on a place you've hunting your whole life, whether you could be there or not i suppose. be fair but direct and firm with him. if you have trail cam photos go ahead and share them with him. keep reminding him you'll help track a shot deer if shot on HIS land and runs onto YOUR lease. give him your contact info. i've never had someone posture while pointing out they have a firearm but there's weird people out there. don't write him off just yet but cover your ass and keep packing the 9mm when you're there.

i had that (minus the poor attitude) at my old house but i got along great with those who hunted the line. still do and i don't even live there now. i didn't blame them hunting the line as my creek bottom was a good spot. to help their will power I hinge cut at the property line and made it real thick with room for deer to run and dump down further into my property.  every time they walked to their stands after that they got busted by deer.

• Like 2