Encounter with a neighbor today

Don_C

On 9/7/2019 at 10:10 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

This is why I love leasing. Walk away next year. Hunting is a fun pastime who needs this BS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

then he wins and the behavior is rewarded. which makes you wonder if this isn't his first rodeo

On 9/8/2019 at 12:11 AM, nyslowhand said:

Wonder if this might be a typical scenario when leasing from a lumber company??

Clearly, with an absentee landowner, the neighbors might feel free to encroach at will.

What Moog suggested is the correct/legal path, but getting the lumber co to confront this bully neighbor probably won't happen. They have their own agenda!

You've got bigger kahones than I do if carrying a sidearm for security is essential and potentially ducking bullets is a high probability, all in the pursuit of hunting. No deer or bear is worth risking life or limb!

Good luck!!!

there's a dance with the landowner here too, and only fatboy knows the relationship. But if the lumber company now views this as a hassle they could raise the lease price to deal with the headache or just cancel the lease. tread carefully.

• Like 1

I'm not contacting the lumber company at this point, they are located hundreds of miles away and I'm sure they aren't going to want to deal with it.  If there are real problems down the road, then I will talk with them.  I'm expecting to run into people this year as it has been a free-for-all to the locals for over 10 years according to most of the people we've talked to,  I think we are the first to lease this property. 

So, though the evolution of this encounter I think we have realized this IS going to happen this year, hopefully not moving forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

I'm not contacting the lumber company at this point, they are located hundreds of miles away and I'm sure they aren't going to want to deal with it.  If there are real problems down the road, then I will talk with them.  I'm expecting to run into people this year as it has been a free-for-all to the locals for over 10 years according to most of the people we've talked to,  I think we are the first to lease this property. 

So, though the evolution of this encounter I think we have realized this IS going to happen this year, hopefully not moving forward.

You have to be fair in how you treat tresspassers, but also ruthless at the same time. If you're always nice to them they'll walk all over you

• Like 2

Let me get this right, maybe i read this too fast and im wrong and if so i apologize in advance. This is your lease, your neighbor confronts you with a rifle and nicely tells you to go screw yourself,? Based upon a members suggestion  you are now going to remedy all this by going over to this a$$hole with a gesture of kindness by bringing a case of beer?? 

Wow, some of you are way too kind. Someone gestures that they will use a rifle to protect thier hunting rights and on my property , think i would fly off the handle, at the least i would have called the police\dec right on the spot. Sad but guys like that need a rude awakening, some of these locals think they have an inherited right because they have been in the area for years.  I have dealt with locals with the same exact mentality on a couple occasions and they have no sense of reasoning. One guy had the balls to tell me that i was a Hunter harrasser and was gonna call the DEC on me,i told him go right ahead because i already made a call to them. Sounds like the nice approach in this instance wont work. But i could be wrong.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Let me get this right, maybe i read this too fast and im wrong and if so i apologize in advance. This is your lease, your neighbor confronts you with a rifle and nicely tells you to go screw yourself,? Based upon a members suggestion  you are now going to remedy all this by going over to this a$$hole with a gesture of kindness by bringing a case of beer?? 

Wow, some of you are way too kind. Someone gestures that they will use a rifle to protect thier hunting rights and on my property , think i would fly off the handle, at the least i would have called the police\dec right on the spot. Sad but guys like that need a rude awakening, some of these locals think they have an inherited right because they have been in the area for years.  I have dealt with locals with the same exact mentality on a couple occasions and they have no sense of reasoning. One guy had the balls to tell me that i was a Hunter harrasser and was gonna call the DEC on me,i told him go right ahead because i already made a call to them. Sounds like the nice approach in this instance wont work. But i could be wrong.

i'm with you on this. i don't think i support the case of beer suggestion either. That said, I'm always one to see if I can resolve things peacefully first. The headache will never go away if it starts off on the wrong foot.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I AGREE 100%. But I'm not making things worse by escalating the problem, especially when firearms are in the mix. I guess I'm going back and forth on contacting LE and making a report just yet. The Hunter harassment thing is real. He basically said as much about the other guy who borders our property next to him because that guy had the balls to put up a sand too close to HIS LINE??!!!! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Jerkmann said:

I have been reading this Thread for a few days now. --- I have a very strong feeling that the guy who threatened you with the rifle will walk on your land to get a crack at that Black Bear or Trophy Buck. He obviously knows every inch of the land. If he does walk on your Lands-- it will probably be around 12.30pm or so - Monday- Thrusday so he won't get caught!

Again, 100% agree. He won't stop doing what he's doing, all I can do is be firm to the point that he curbs it while we are there. I do understand that much.  

• Like 1

I remember and article a long time back that said ... best stand locations for postage stamp properties  is on your neighbors. Meaning hunt the borders  and let the core of your property be a safety  zone ... that said it doesn't mean shoot on the neighbors .. I'm not going to say I haven't shot a deer that's head was past the property line and its body  was on the line .... chit happens. 

Edited by Nytracker

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You’re not fat? What else is a lie on this forum??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HAHA! Thanks! NO, I am not fat, but that's not me either. That is my son.  FatboyD originated from a Harley site I was a member of when I rode a Fatboy and my first name is Don, but that's it, I'm changing my name.  Maybe MOOG5151 or something so I can be part of making this the most confusing forum on the internet too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A case of beer would be the last thing this Richard would get. I would have a good chat with the local DEC officer. I would let the DEC officer have hunting rights!! And the locals get a fast lesson on law.

Get proficient and hiding some cameras up out of reach and sight as well.

• Like 2

Oh I know, not a bad photo of you and I wasn't knocking anyone, just saying it added to the confusion big-time for me. I personally was debating going with Grew-a-lot, but I actually miss her so I didn't want to stir the pot in hopes she will return some day.

• Like 3

I definitely would contact DEC officer. Get it on record and tell DEC you dont want them to speak to the neighbor yet.  If (or WHEN) something happens in the future there will be a record of this clown and his actions. It cant hurt whatsoever... and can only potentially help you. I would not hesitate.

• Like 1

Done. Name changed, FatBoy is gone forever, along with the bike that inspired it! I sure miss it.

IMG_0042.thumb.jpg.705b87d6e4e80307adfa76c5df395d03.jpg
Love Fatboys hate the damn solid wheels. On a windy day you're constantly fighting the wind to stay where you want to be. No idea why they would ever make a solid wheel. Other than that Fatboys are one of my favorite bikes to ride

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Bundy said:

I definitely would contact DEC officer. Get it on record and tell DEC you dont want them to speak to the neighbor yet.  If (or WHEN) something happens in the future there will be a record of this clown and his actions. It cant hurt whatsoever... and can only potentially help you. I would not hesitate.

That seems like fair approach.  Just be ready to talk to him again, as it sounds like you will likely encounter him (and others) as the season goes on.  Be clear with your statements, that things have changed on the property.  You lease it, have sole permission to hunt, and will not tolerate trespassing or shooting over the line.  This guy should not be rewarded because he lives nearby, used to hunt there, or doesn't bow hunt.  His goal with the initial encounter was to find out who you are, and how much he can get away with.  Hopefully he realizes things are different this season.  If any nonsense continues after the second encounter, you certainly wouldn't be out of line to involve authorities.   

• Like 1

In ur original post u said he threatened u. What did he actually say? It's important if LE gets involved. If it was an actual threat and u feel threatened an order of protection will solve things for u but create a shit storm for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be clear if the description in first post was accurate, he did brandish a weapon. Not only is that grossly illegal but also a clear and fast indicator that this guy is an abject fool, so who knows what he'll do. Did he really play out a scenario in his mind in which a chat about property lines descends into a life or death gun fight? 

• Like 1