Encounter with a neighbor today

Don_C

17 minutes ago, b3h said:

In ur original post u said he threatened u. What did he actually say? It's important if LE gets involved. If it was an actual threat and u feel threatened an order of protection will solve things for u but create a shit storm for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well to begin with he walked into my driving path holding a rifle. Clearly an attempt to intimidate me. He was not hunting and was on our property. I considered that to be threatening.

He said was carrying the rifle in case he ran into trouble and gave me a look, again, trying to intimidate me no doubt, but maybe he meant the bear everyone says lives there. I don’t know, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

When I stated that we will respect property lines and expect the same he said he didn’t know what I was telling him and said I am an armed citizen and no one is taking anything from me.

There was no doubt that he was trying his best to bully and intimidate me with a gun in his hand.

4 minutes ago, Core said:

To be clear if the description in first post was accurate, he did brandish a weapon. Not only is that grossly illegal but also a clear and fast indicator that this guy is an abject fool, so who knows what he'll do. Did he really play out a scenario in his mind in which a chat about property lines descends into a life or death gun fight? 

EXACTLY. 

And I wish I would have paid more attention to the gun, but didn't break eye contact with him. It could very well have been a mini 14, Not sure why I assumed it was a ruger .22, which would have made more sense if he was afraid of a bear.

3 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Well to begin with he walked into my driving path holding a rifle. Clearly an attempt to intimidate me. He was not hunting and was on our property. I considered that to be threatening.

He said was carrying the rifle in case he ran into trouble and gave me a look, again, trying to intimidate me no doubt, but maybe he meant the bear everyone says lives there. I don’t know, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

When I stated that we will respect property lines and expect the same he said he didn’t know what I was telling him and said I am an armed citizen and no one is taking anything from me.

There was no doubt that he was trying his best to bully and intimidate me with a gun in his hand.

I've got to say, I find this the most interesting thread on this forum in quite a while.  I do hope you keep us posted on what materializes from all this.  I know there wouldn't be a chance in the world I'd ever want to have a beer with this clown after approaching you like that and saying that type of crap he said.  Just stepping out in front of you, on YOUR property holding a gun in such a fashion alone is a threat in my opinion.  As if he was protecting something that is his.  That is BS right there.   I don't look for trouble or like trouble, but I would not let this guy get away with this.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Don_C said:

i think we all know what his intentions were, but you'll never prove he wasn't hunting... although it was a .22 so i dont know haha. carrying a rifle in the woods would be considered normal (dont many of us do it?). If he showed up to your door, that'd different. Again, we all know his intentions, but it's what you can prove that matters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Got any in mind ? You should let the forum pick it for you.

Going along with the temp thread derailment, how do you change the wording just below your screen name? Mine says "elite hunter" which strikes me as kind of pompous as I don't think I'm an elite anything.

Is it related to post count or some such?

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Just stepping out in front of you, on YOUR property holding a gun in such a fashion alone is a threat in my opinion. 

again, because we're all talking dec and police... this isn't his property. it's a lease. and yes that does matter, especially with regards to how official the lease is. 

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Going along with the temp thread derailment, how do you change the wording just below your screen name? Mine says "elite hunter" which strikes me as kind of pompous as I don't think I'm an elite anything.

Is it related to post count or some such?

you should be a dick like me

2 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I've got to say, I find this the most interesting thread on this forum in quite a while.  I do hope you keep us posted on what materializes from all this.  I know there wouldn't be a chance in the world I'd ever want to have a beer with this clown after approaching you like that and saying that type of crap he said.  Just stepping out in front of you, on YOUR property holding a gun in such a fashion alone is a threat in my opinion.  As if he was protecting something that is his.  That is BS right there.   I don't look for trouble or like trouble, but I would not let this guy get away with this.

I'm glad I could spice things up a bit, but I'm already tired of talking about it! I'm getting all torqued up about it again reading all of these replies. I have decided to call the ECO in the area and just talk with him or her (depending on which one calls me back). I will approach it as asking for advice, not trying to make a problem. At least that way they will have a history if something does come of this. I won't be intimidated by this guy and his son, but I sure as hell am not getting into an altercation of any sort over it. I'm going to talk to the DEC, not the Sheriff and let it settle until the next time we see him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

i think we all know what his intentions were, but you'll never prove he wasn't hunting... although it was a .22 so i dont know haha. carrying a rifle in the woods would be considered normal (dont many of us do it?). If he showed up to your door, that'd different. Again, we all know his intentions, but it's what you can prove that matters. 

He told me he was carrying it in case he ran into trouble. He was not hunting. But you are right, it didn't strike me as odd until his motive became clear.

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

again, because we're all talking dec and police... this isn't his property. it's a lease. and yes that does matter, especially with regards to how official the lease is. 

It is a very official lease from a large lumber company that states it is my responsibility to keep all persons other than those listed on the lease off the property unless accompanied by one of those listed on the lease agreement.

Edit: I will verify that tonight though.

Edited by Don_C
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

It may not be Don C's property, but he has the rights to it.  Something that the clown idiot doesn't have.  Technically he has no right to even step on it.

2 minutes ago, Don_C said:

He told me he was carrying it in case he ran into trouble. He was not hunting. But you are right, it didn't strike me as odd until his motive became clear.

1 minute ago, Don_C said:

It is a very official lease from a large lumber company that states it is my responsibility to keep all persons other than those listed on the lease off the property unless accompanied by one of those listed on the lease agreement.

just speaking from a purely legal perspective. protection could mean protection from animals. rabid coons, bears, feral dogs. and Your property it is not. remember OJ went free. That's all you ever need to know about our justice system :)

i think you've arrived at the best path forward regarding contacting the dec and asking advice from them, not us goofs :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

again i agree. but it's still important when dealing with the law

I'm glad you looked at it from that perspective. I did have the lease scanned and on my phone. I'm going to print and carry the page that states: NO OTHER PERSONS SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO USE OR OCCUPY THESE PREMISES UNLESS:... I really think i'm going to try to reason with him and maybe even be able to leverage the lease as the "bad guy".

Edited by Don_C

16 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Edit: I will verify that tonight though.

Is it Danzer? They wont even talk to you. They will keep referring you to the leasing agent and they wont/cant do squat. Youd think when a new property gets listed theyd at the very lease post it. But they dont

There is no “ brandishing of a weapon “ in NYS , we do have Menacing however .  He’d have to,prove gun was loaded  and the neighbor had the intent to use it unlawfully against another .

Since nothing was recorded , and his words were vague, and in fact took it out of his hands and leaned it against a tree , nothing can be done legally about first contact imho as just a smuck on a forum .

Is it Danzer? They wont even talk to you. They will keep referring you to the leasing agent and they wont/cant do squat. Youd think when a new property gets listed theyd at the very lease post it. But they dont

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk