People dumping on state land.

bhunterED

Why is it that people feel as if it is ok to dump their garbage on state land. I'll keep my thoughts to myself as I don't want to offend some with the language that would be used. I will say though that the ones who decided to dump on Bobell State Forest aren't very intelligent as they left stuff with phone numbers and such exposed for anyone who may stop to see. I have to say I don't hunt public land for deer but have in the past and still hunt some public in spring for turkeys. Regardless it pisses me off to no end that people feel as if it's perfectly fine to dump their shit wherever. Well if the person that dumped the shit on Bobell State forest is reading this I would advise you to maybe go pick up your shit and dispose of it properly before the DEC gets there if they haven't already. And don't worry I won't accidentally post your phone number anywhere. 

Edited by bhunterED
Misspelling

Yea very disturbing  this one place i go to had a washing machine and refrigerator dumped in it and there full of bullet holes .  Have not been back to that exact spot in years wondering if it's still there . Some of the stuff you see  Not even sure how that stuff even got there so far back in the woods  .  

One of the main pieces i hunt is like this.  Always crap at the turn around and one of the pull offs.  Ive found old trailers to paint cans leaking.  Drives me up the wall.  DEC doesnt seem to care seeing how ive called to report it and i know a couple of other people that hunt there and hike have also and nothing ever gets done.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Sad 1

It is so commonly done it is impossible for the state to play clean up after these folks....I get it. They wouldnt have time to do anything else. When I find a new pile near my camp (southern Jefferson County)  i always look for incriminating evidence (address labels, etc) to call in to the local ranger or DEC officer of the area. That gives them something to follow up on. Otherwise, there is darn little they can do after the fact. 

On LI we have found boats just dumped on the side of the road. This happened today. Took the dogs for a walk. Got to the public beach and half way down the hill I find a kitchen garbage bag. Odd place for this. It was semi transparent so I moved it around with my foot. Prescription drugs and Needles were in there, lots of them. I called town security for them to come and get it. I just don't get people at all. 

14 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Check out the lawn thread ,post after post of people dumping chemicals on the ground so their neighbors like the way their lawn looks.  

Not quite the same.  Fertilizer and weed killer are used in much much greater volumes by farmers that grow the food you eat.   

• Like 1

In all seriousness I often shed hunt in properties that are closer to hunting as a result of being close to roads, public parks, etc. some areas are atrocious. I have thought about carrying a bag with me but know it’s like throwing a lawn chair off the titanic. How car engines and refrigerators get deep in woods is always mind boggling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's almost as if these people work harder at dumping this stuff illegally compared to what it would take to go to the landfill. I did receive a phone call today from a DEC officer and we had a nice discussion. They should be in contact with me again tomorrow I was told so I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, crappyice said:

In all seriousness I often shed hunt in properties that are closer to hunting as a result of being close to roads, public parks, etc. some areas are atrocious. I have thought about carrying a bag with me but know it’s like throwing a lawn chair off the titanic. How car engines and refrigerators get deep in woods is always mind boggling

So I wasn't  hallucinating when I seen that stuff myself back there in those places , Crazy .

I have been  walking along not even on  trails  and come upon car tires shopping carts  all sorts of large  crap at different locations a few times over the years .  

On 9/8/2019 at 3:18 PM, crappyice said:

You have to remember that most state land was once private land. Way back in the day, farmers would take their old junk out onto their land and dump it in brushy areas. Every farm Ive ever been on has at least one. Heck, my place has a pile of old tires and rims out in the woods. One of these days Ill haul it out of there and take the stuff to the dump.

• Like 1

I constantly carry out more than I brought in. I really hate a lot of people. Thieves and litterers are way up the list. They should make the fines for littering a lot higher and offer bounty to be paid to a trained force to combat this. It could pay for itself and offer jobs.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:06 PM, moog5050 said:

Not quite the same.  Fertilizer and weed killer are used in much much greater volumes by farmers that grow the food you eat.   

+1. My 40lb bag of Scott's Lawn fertilizer 4 times per year is not effecting the environment like the local farms are.