Football concussion advice

Zag

It's been a bad few days. I got a concussion from my tree stand fall and my son got his 2nd concussion at football today, last year he received his first concussion. I'm not sure what to do at this point, last yr my thoughts were...he might never get another one and keep going, now after #2 I feel like that should be my answer but I also feel like it could become an endless cycle. He's a really good athlete, he plays qb, te and outside lb, so he's almost always around the football. I hate to succumb to concussion but I'm not feeling to good about continuing the same path. Hope I'm making some sense here. Any advice would be appreciated!

Damn......tough decisions Zeke.  It'd be easy to say fugg it, pull the plug on football but it's not my call. 

You & your wife have to decide what to do but these days there is plenty of proof that shows repeated concussions can lead to major problems down the road.  Good luck.....

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Damn......tough decisions Zeke.  It'd be easy to say fugg it, pull the plug on football but it's not my call. 

You & your wife have to decide what to do but these days there is plenty of proof that shows repeated concussions can lead to major problems down the road.  Good luck.....

Thanks Larry, it's definitely not fun seeing my kid sleeping on the couch right now. At this point I think we're leaning towards hanging it up for now and focus more on baseball, or maybe spend a small fortune on a more advanced helmet and a last resort.

CTE is real ,lots of people take the macho role and like to talk about back in their day or all the stuff they lived through . My son is only 3.5 but i'm already decided not to push him into contact sports . Lots of people are doing horrible things later in life because of trauma they receive earlier in their life. 

• Like 3

That sucks.  They arent fun, i will say ive seen how quick a concussion can affect a young athlete.  Brother played soccer in hs and one of his teamates was a good wrestler but got 3 or 4 concusions in about 5 yrs.  One day he and another player went up for a header in a game and hit each other and knocked him out the concussion was so bad.  He couldnt walk upstairs for 6months missed a hole yr of school sun hurt his eyes and that was the end of all sports for him.  Never was the same when he got back to school.  

Its a tough choice but if it was me ide get a couple doctors opinions on it.

• Like 1

You have to have a talk with his doctor. Ask point blank what he recommends. And follow that advice. Nothing is more important than the health of the kids. Concussions are much more understood these days. And the understanding is, even one is not good. Much less suffering multiple.

My grandson is a pretty good athlete too. Has a legitimate chance at a scholarship in baseball and football. Starting varsity as a sophomore, in a large school, playing ISLB, and offensive and defensive tackle. Hits and gets hit a lot. Playing against some 350 plus pound kids. I hold my breath every time he plays. 

I was saving up for a varmint rifle. The almost $900 went to get him a better helmet and other gear, before the season started. But still, never any guarantee's that it will prevent a concussion. Or any other injury.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Unless he stands a chance for a scholarship hang it up. If a true possibility then a very good helmet may be the answer.. injuries come back to haunt you. Had I a chance to do it all over again I would not play football in school.

Scholarship is the end game but he's only 11 so we're yrs away from really knowing if he has a shot for one. He is a strong athlete in each sport that he plays. 

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

You have to have a talk with his doctor. Ask point blank what he recommends. And follow that advice. Nothing is more important than the health of the kids. Concussions are much more understood these days. And the understanding is, even one is not good. Much less suffering multiple.

My grandson is a pretty good athlete too. Has a legitimate chance at a scholarship in baseball and football. Starting varsity as a sophomore, in a large school, playing ISLB, and offensive and defensive tackle. Hits and gets hit a lot. Playing against some 350 plus pound kids. I hold my breath every time he plays. 

I was saving up for a varmint rifle. The almost $900 went to get him a better helmet and other gear, before the season started. But still, never any guarantee's that it will prevent a concussion. Or any other injury.

A more advanced helmet is something I'll look into tomorrow and a last resort I think.

• Like 1

I'd don't want to sound rude, but if he's had two concussions at age 11 I'd be telling him he cant do it anymore . I wouldn't need a doctor's advice . He might not understand, but in time he will thank you.

Please dont take it as me being harsh,but he's young with a bright future I'm sure .

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, sbuff said:

I'd don't want to sound rude, but if he's had two concussions at age 11 I'd be telling him he cant do it anymore . I wouldn't need a doctor's advice . He might not understand, but in time he will thank you.

Please dont take it as me being harsh,but he's young with a bright future I'm sure .

What he said above.  Doctor wouldn't need to tell me anything.  Two concussions at age 11 he'd be retiring from football.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bhunterED said:

11 years old with 2 concussions already is definitely not a good thing. I would definitely be getting in touch with a dr or two. I do have to ask as I was a youth football coach for 8 years. Are the kids being taught proper tackling and blocking techniques? 

Yeah we model USA football program teaching heads up tackling and it's drills we hold each practice, today he was at qb when he got tackled by a few defenders. Last yr he was part of a tackle where someone came flying in to help. 

28 minutes ago, sbuff said:

No I'm all ears and appreciate everyone's opinion, this all helps towards a decision and doctors of course. I know what the doctors going to say so I'm trying to prepare for him not going back out. Seeing how good of an athlete he is will make it a tough reality.

51 minutes ago, zag said:

Scholarship is the end game but he's only 11 so we're yrs away from really knowing if he has a shot for one. He is a strong athlete in each sport that he plays. 

You would know at 11 he would be 5ft 10 and about 160. My.cousins boy was a top highschool qb set all kind of records had own u tube channel, gave up football for baseball as he was only 5ft 10. And had no chance at nfl, took his baseball scholarship and is doing well. His little brother is now qb of varsity team as a sophomore but will have same issues..

Bonus is if he gives it up he can hunt otherwise your and his time afield will be minimal, coaches are crazy with practices and game on weekends .. if not extra practices.. baseball well he may miss turkey but can go before practice and school.. 

• Like 1

Tough call, everyone is taking them differently. My son got actually motivated by one and learned how to hit and avoid them. I on the other end was boxing at the young age but quickly understood that wasn't for me (being knocked out few times get your priorities straight). I would talk to your son first and see what he thinks/feels about it. At 11 he understands well enough and is able to comprehend what future might hold for him. Don't scare him but be honest and tell him what you think and why. Kids learn quick, you might be surprised. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Full disclosure - I am a football coach and have been over the course of the past 23 years I will start by saying you need to talk to him-yes he is “only 11” but he may agree with your concerns about football and concussions and the issue is mute. We can all say that he will thank you when he is older if you make him quit but I will tell you the social implications at this age are strong and real TO HIM. Keep that in mind. We know that the MIddle school years (I also teach middle school) are ridiculous- to them, they are kings and queens.

Talk to your doctor obviously.

While football is a collision sport and other are contact sports, the others hold many opportunities for concussion like football. Statistically concussions are most prevalent in soccer (girls more than boys) from what I understand: Equipment is important but I will be the first to tell you that it is technique and individual strength that decrease the likelihood (I did not say prevent) of concussions.

Proper technique is being taught (at least preached) today. Head to head contact seem more accidental these days. Leading with your head down is known by every player to be dangerous.

The equipment is better- I am fortunate to coach in a very well to do district who just outfitted the entire varsity with the new vicis helmet. ($900+). They are impressive but truly more of a “let’s make mommy and daddy feel better about letting Johnny play a violet sport” then a preventative measure.

Neck, shoulder, and core strength are key elements to minimizing concussions due to the many frequent whiplash impacts players suffer. The better you can control your head the less it whips around causing the jarring of the brain which is what a concussion is.

I hate that this is such a reality for a sport I love and have been a part of in some way since I was 8. It is certainly a family’s decision. I have twin boys- One plays and one doesn’t (broke his leg playing and freaked from it). The one who still plays has had two concussions- 1 when he was 2(tripped going upstairs and knocked himself out) and the other on the playground when he was 5. Those still count from what I understand.

He plays center and DEnd so he’s in the thick of it( as are they all by the way!). We talk about technique ALOT and protecting yourself and being the aggressor and yet the concussion that will likely end his career will happen when his brother (he’s rowing crew and is getting much stronger than his twin) throws him down the stairs!

Scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zag said:

Yeah we model USA football program teaching heads up tackling and it's drills we hold each practice, today he was at qb when he got tackled by a few defenders. Last yr he was part of a tackle where someone came flying in to help. 

Well I'm glad to hear that your teams follow that program, it's a great model IMO. However it is a brutal physical sport but I do love the game even though it takes me a little while to get moving in the morning. My oldest son started playing flag football when he was 4 and this year as a senior decided he didn't want to play anymore. I miss seeing him on the field but he said it just wasn't fun anymore. Anyways I wish you and your son the best.

Edited by bhunterED
  • Like 1

Ugh it's been a tough day, he's been up and down today and my wife and plan on shutting him down from playing anymore this yr and probably going forward for a few yrs. Sucks it has been alot of fun being the offensive coordinator with him by my side. He's been crying a ton tonight when we told him that he might not play again and he's struggling with why does this have to happen to me. Here's a few pics from the first game.

69710662_1114171852126050_208639435246403584_o.jpg

69454497_1114172992125936_7923532096327385088_o.jpg

69473717_1114171655459403_4330015075243917312_o.jpg

• Like 5

You made the right decision. 11 is real young to already have two concussions. Understandably it is tough for him now taking away something he loves doing but he will thank you later. You wrote earlier that he is a pretty good baseball player also. There is a lot of opportunity for fall baseball these days.

• Like 1