Found A Nice Deadhead

grampy

While doing some stuff at the farm today, found this deadhead. Never saw him by eye or on camera. Real nice one for this area.20190908_133013.thumb.jpg.f502e87d8e686931e419e43c0e75ed8c.jpg20190908_132953.thumb.jpg.9d4136633e9a94e1ad7340adcdba8924.jpgWould have liked to have seen him while hunting last year. A nice mature buck. Would have been really nice this year. No idea what killed him. Picked clean.

• Like 18
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Hopefully (at this point it doesn't matter but may as well hope for the best) a giant stud buck gored him and he died from his wounds last November and that big SOB will present you a chip shot this November.  :)

I like this scenario Larry!!!!  

57 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Sweet find!
You gonna clean him up? Those are always good to practice whitening techniques in case your ever want to Euro your next giant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what to do with him? Will try to find something constructive. Don't really want him to go completely to waste. Maybe a set of rattling antlers for my grandson? Or just decoration for the barn.

17 hours ago, grampy said:

Not sure what to do with him? Will try to find something constructive. Don't really want him to go completely to waste. Maybe a set of rattling antlers for my grandson? Or just decoration for the barn.

dave do a euro mount. then with the bleached antlers rub them down with Minwax wood stain color like pine or golden oak. let dry. then hit it with Minwax "provincial" color wood stain into the texture and deeper parts of the antler arond the bases and burs. wipe off excess and surface of that area of antlers so it's dark in the nooks and crannies but surface is exposed lighter color. bleach the skull with 40 volume peroxide paste before that though and wrap it in saran wrap so you don't get stain on it. it's about $80 for a straight up "boiled" euro. you didn't take the buck but you found it.

• Like 3